The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default While the boss is away #2.1...(your votes needed)

This is an edited repost of the first post of the part one of this build thread. If you would like to catch up on what we (and I do mean we) have been building together, then go check out the first part of the thread here: While the boss is away...Part One. Otherwise, this first post shows where we started and what votes have taken place or are in progress. Please anyone feel free to take part.

It's been a while since Steve has taken a break from the shop, but for the next two weeks Steve and his wife will be on a much needed vacation. But, while he's away, I get to play. Really I guess we're going to test the patience of the AGF with how much Kinnaird glut they can stand. (This was back in February.)

My goal is to build an OM model box while I'm shop alone. This will be one of our "formerly known as F1" models or the more recent designator "cease and desist (C&D) model. (More backstory on that later) Basically, it's a dressed down guitar with all the same sound - less miters, no pearl, etc. They are a more affordable version of our custom models. The catch is: I want you to help me build it! (It's turned into something more... )

I'm going to be posting throughout the weeks different choices about how to construct this thing, and majority vote is going to win. Now a word of a little moderation, my job does depend on a good guitar. So, put on your best luthier's cap, and let's have some fun.

I will be updating this Spec sheet list as the votes accumulate.

Kinnaird OM with a Manzer wedge
Top: Sitka Spruce (cut by the great Idahoan luthier Lawrence Smart)
Back/Sides: Curly Red Eucalyptus
Moradora bindings
25.4" scale

Vote 1 : Red Eucalyptus back/sides
Vote 2 : Manzer Wedge
Vote 3 : Scale length - Long Scale (25.4")
Vote 4 : Moradora binding
Vote 5 : Red Eucalyptus rosette
Vote 6 : Purple side brace fabric
Vote 7 : Double-X top bracing
Vote 8 : Add side purfling
Vote 9 : Moradora end wedge
Vote 10 : Unbound neck and peghead
Vote 11 : Southern Cross peghead inlay
Vote 12 : No Constellation inlay
Vote 13 (in progress) : Fretboard Inlay?

The top is going to be the same Sitka Spruce that has topped all three of our other "EPH WON" guitars built to date. They are killer! (Include Lizzard's endorsement here.) It has the ability to strum hard and not break up, but can also fingerpick a delicate melody. I bought them from a fellow luthier with the last name of Smart, and it's always been a smart decision to use it.

Vote #1: Curly Red Eucalyptus
- Steve and I each bought a set of Eucalyptus 9 years ago, but we still haven't got around to building out of it yet. Looking at this set makes me wonder what has taken so long. Also known as Red Gum, this Australian wood has been used for many instruments down under, but relatively few in the States. Should we remedy that?

And how about a current pic of how things stand now...

Please help this poor lonely employee by giving me some guidance. I am not used to thinking for myself. And please make yourself a part of this adventure.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 07-10-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is another repost on why this guitar is special to me and why I'm happy you're taking part in it. Also, some might have missed it the first time around.

They say confession is good for the soul. I don't know if typing my characters on a computer screen to a bunch of people that could be intelligent robots for all I know is the same, but here goes.

This guitar - the one you are helping to design - is my third guitar. That's right, #3! The first guitar I built I started the day that I was hired 10 years ago this month. It was finally completed about two years later - a fabulous Sitka/Black Walnut SJ. I still have it, and it's one of my prize possessions. My second guitar built a couple years later was a Redwood/Indian Rosewood CS that Mark Hanson used to perform a concert with at the 2011 GAL convention. It was then purchased by AGF owner JR Rogers. He's recorded an album with it, Home Texas, (check it out - it's good) and he's used it to grace several of his album covers. Just me and JR. We're the only ones that have guitars that I built. This will be number 3.

This guitar - the one you have been voting on - is my one hundredth guitar. That's right, #100! I started building with Steve when he hired me in March of 2007. The first day, he taught me how to join the plates of what would be my first guitar. I was hired to be the repair guy, but as it turns out, we built more than we repaired. That first year, we built 4 guitars together. The next year a couple more. Somehow, it's added up to 100 for me. It's a pretty special event for me. It makes me extremely grateful to Steve for allowing me to do this for so long, and it makes me extremely grateful to you because you have helped us do it for so long. There's 100 fine instruments out in the world that I have had the joy of toiling over, praying over, and rejoicing over as they have made their way around the world. I appreciate the part that the AGF has played in that, and I wanted you to be involved in it. This will be number 100.

I thought people may be interested in some numbers. My guess is that my numbers are probably a lot different from other builders, but I find that they are special.

Models:
OM - 30
SJ - 25
FS - 16
CS - 14
Parlor - 10
Electrics - 4
Experimental - 1

In the mix of these models were 4 nylon strings, 3 12 strings, 2 baritones and a bass.

Top Woods:
Sitka Spruce - 41
Engelmann - 13
Redwood - 8
Lutz - 7
Adirondack -7
European - 7
Western Red Cedar - 4
Port Orford Cedar - 3
Caucasian Spruce - 3
King Billy Pine - 1
Mango - 1

Back and Sides:
- Rosewoods:
East Indian - 10
Cocobolo - 6
Brazilian - 4
Honduran - 3
Madagascar - 3
Amazon, Guatemalan, Indonesian, Palo Escrito, Panamanian, SE Asian - all one apiece

- Non-rosewoods:
Mahogany - 9
Maple - 8
Walnut - 7
Bubinga -5
Oregon Myrtle - 4
American Sycamore - 2
Ancient Kauri - 2
Ziricote - 2
Spanish Cedar - 2
Mango - 2
Wenge -2
Black & White Ebony - 2
White Oak - 2
One each of: Tiger Myrtle, Black Limba, Blackheart Sassafrass, Koa, Celebes Ebony, Australian Blackwood, Malaysian Blackwood, Kelobra, Pau Ferro, Quilted Sapele, English Brown Oak, Red Eucalyptus

11 types of Soundboards; 37 different types of Back and Side woods

I hope it doesn't take me that long to make my second 100, but I have enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default While the boss is away #2.1...(your votes needed)

Now, how about some new stuff. Is this a vote? Maybe...I'll let you decide.

I need to make a decision on this fretboard inlay so I can get to fretting and finishing. So I've got a couple options.

Option #1: Empty fretboard

Option #2: Diamonds and Squares

Option #3: Help me out?

So, I'm personally not wowed with the first two choices. (Don't let that sway you if you are!) I had been thinking of doing something special for my third/hundredth guitar. Like a nice 12th fret inlay or something. So far, my creative ideas have been excremental. Maybe you could help me out with something cool. If you have an idea for what I could do for the fretboard (or just the 12th), let me know - even better if you sketch something out. You don't need to have a picture perfect concept, but I'm looking for some ideas AGF community.

If I choose your design idea, besides having your concept come to life, I'll send you a t-shirt. We'll still vote like we have been, but I know someone has a cool thought or two.

You're my only hope...

Last edited by nacluth; 07-10-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Musical minimalist

I always go with the blank board - just side dots. Feel free to make those cool though

If you wanted something different at the 12th - since you have stars on the headstock, now about Moon on the 12th fret?

Last edited by fitness1; 04-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Blank fretboard ftw.

Alternatively, constellation on 12th.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 PM

Blank is a little too minimal but option 2 doesn't wow me a lot either. I'd love to see something like a sea shell design on the fretboard...nothing large but decorative.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:57 PM

I normally like inlays, but feel the minimalist elegance of this guitar is best served by a blank board!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Unless you don't want the K on the guitar, I still vote for the "K" at the 12th fret and wonder if it would be cool to do something at 5, 7, 9. I am thinking a big dipper at 5, and then maybe something smaller, but still astronomy related at 7 and 9. I like fret board markers....
Old 04-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Do you have some Eucalyptus scraps left? Why not do the markers with that? It could be simple dots or diamonds, with something a little snazzy at 12. That would be less showy than pearl but a little less austere than none at all.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Why not hang with a double southern cross at the 12th?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

How a bout some more irregular stars sweeping down the neck? In the frets of the usual markers, but not in a straight line. A drawn out constellation,
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 04-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I'd go for something at the twelfth. Cigarfans idea looked good.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:14 PM

I like the idea of something on the 12th fret. Maybe 3 stars for #3
Or your K surrounded by 3 stars
Travis
Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I go with SJV and suggest using some of the wood from the back as inlay material. I have been seeing electric guitars with offset dots, at the base side of the neck up to the 12th, the 12th gets two in the standard spot (or one toward the bass and one toward the treble side), then finish with dots up the treble side. Or, do hollow squares, where the border is the back wood, the center is the fretboard wood, but that's a lot of work. Something subtle would look really nice.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Another fretboard idea...

My idea goes along the lines that kkrell suggested in using stars down the fretboard.

The SC appears on the 5th, 7th, and 9th frets. Then stars from the constellation Musca appear on the 12th and 15th frets. Maybe too confusing?

It was just a thought--and yes, I know that the guitar in question is not a cutaway or a 13 fretter. I just had that as a template at the time!

Hopefully the pic shows up for y'all. Here's a link to the shared album in case the pic doesn't show on its own: https://goo.gl/photos/6SctGkSfSqTdbnw87

The guitar is really looking awesome, Ryan!

2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop