The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM

Default Tascam DR-05 power question

The Zoom H2 recorder that we use at church recently died and for the last couple of weeks we've used my Tascam DR-05 to see if it would fit our needs as a replacement for the Zoom H2. It seems to work fine but I have a question about using external power.

The DR-05 comes with a USB to mini-USB cord that will supply power to the unit when it is plugged in to a computer. The Tascam external power supply is about $30 and plugs in to the same mini USB plug on the recorder. Since the USB jack on the computer will power the recorder I'm wondering if there is any reason that we couldn't use an adapter that has a female USB and plugs into a regular 120v plug to power this recorder. You know, the type that comes with iPhones, Kindles, etc..... When using batteries it requires 2 AA batteries.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM

Thoughts? Anyone?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM

I'd have to check my Tascam to say anything will be OK. But as long as the Voltage at the output of the cable is consistent with the needs of the Tascam, you should be OK. Amperage isn't a problem but you don't want to over-Voltage the Tascam. The wiring on a USB is consistent from cable to cable.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that the little adapters like this one:

http://www.tmart.com/USB-Power-Adapt...Fctr7AodFUgAlQ

would put out the same voltage/amperage as the USB port on my computer and therefore be OK. However, with Tascam charging so much more for a larger and less convenient adapter I want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
dr-05, external power, tascam