The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 06-25-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Fingerstyle Guitar Workshop with Jason Kostal, Richard Smith and Peppino D'Agostino

Hi, all,

My guitar teacher, Thomas Clippert, and Matthew Schroeder will be leading the Fingerstyle Guitar Workshop again this summer at Interlochen Center for the Arts in northern Michigan.

This year features guest artists Peppino D Agostino and Richard Smith, and guest speaker Jason Kostal.

The workshop takes place July 25-28. There's also an option if you want to start a day earlier.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Awesome event

Was an awesome event. I’ve been going to Interlochen every year since 2009 for either the Chapman stick Seminars there, or the guitar seminars put on by Matt and Tom. The highlight for me was Richard Smith setting the record straight on what pattern picking is vs Travis picking. There is a difference and he demonstrated it for me by playing Dust in The Wind using real Travis Picking. I had an issue with this a while back trying to fit someone else’s idea of what Travis picking was into that song. There’s even a few books out there that get this concept wrong.

As usual, we get a good workout using alternate tunings. Always good for me as I have instruments that deviate from standard guitar tuning.

There’s only two places like Interlochen in the US, and you are totally immersed in music with all of the young full time and summer camp students there practicing everywhere. That and being up in northern Michigan is an experience hard to put into words. Sorry you didn’t make it, I asked Tom if you were there.

Peppino was awesome, he got pretty crazy on one song detuning a string and bending it out away from the neck playing a bass line on it, and kept a groove going without stopping.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Peppino was awesome, he got pretty crazy on one song detuning a string and bending it out away from the neck playing a bass line on it, and kept a groove going without stopping.
I took a class with Peppino two years ago at the Swannanoa Gathering and he performed same technique in class. Great teacher and performer.
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases