The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Default Tiple anyone?

I'm curious - does anyone have any experience with Tiple's? I've had an interest for a long time now, ever since I saw an old Martin in a local shop. Unfortunately it wasn't for sale. It was the first (and only) one I've seen in person, and I was fascinated by it. If I can come up with a set of plans, I think I can see a tiple build in my near future.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM

They're a ukulele on steroids, is what a friend told me - a silly statement. I later picked up an old Martin and have to agree. Too, charangos are intense.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM

Had a K Yasuma Tiple but sold it as I just didn't seem to play it much.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:38 PM

Tiples are discussed from time to time on ululeleunderground.com and mandolincafé.com (no dedicated tiple forums, alas).

The Spirits of Rhythm were probably the top tiplecentric band ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn00r3BTvHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOuGpwazXCI

Vintage Martin tiples are the Grail, but may have severe intonation problems (which can be fixed, but it will cost).
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM

I had a Kamaka Tipple many moons ago. Great instrument!

Not a Tipple, but I recently came across a 1920's Martin Style 3K Taropatch Uke in a thrift store. 8 strings! It had one old gut string on it, so I left it on for grins. It's louder than the Martin strings. The intonation on this Koa wood beauty is perfect, so it plays in tune. It also stays in tune. Plus, it's shocking how much volume it produces.

Not much info on these, but apparently Martin only made 93 of them. Anyway, cool instrument and sorta Tipple like!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I had a Kamaka Tipple many moons ago. Great instrument!

Not a Tipple, but I recently came across a 1920's Martin Style 3K Taropatch Uke in a thrift store. 8 strings! It had one old gut string on it, so I left it on for grins. It's louder than the Martin strings. The intonation on this Koa wood beauty is perfect, so it plays in tune. It also stays in tune. Plus, it's shocking how much volume it produces.

Not much info on these, but apparently Martin only made 93 of them. Anyway, cool instrument and sorta Tipple like!
How much was this Martin Taropatch? This is sounding like Bill Monroe’s Loar found in a barber shop...
Old 01-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
How much was this Martin Taropatch? This is sounding like Bill Monroe’s Loar found in a barber shop...
It wasn't cheap by any means and I did not have the $ to buy it. My lovely sister in law insisted I have it, paid for it and said I could pay her back when I sell it.

So far, I have yet to even list it as I am having a hard time finding out a fair price to ask! The only one I've found on eBay was listed at $7K, but ended early. Not sure why it ended early, but I'm hoping someone made them an offer that could not be refused!

I as shocked when I saw it sitting in a glass case in a thrift store! It's in amazing condition with no cracks, splits, dents or dings. The Koa looks spectacular the action is perfect, the intonation is perfect and the sound it puts out is simply stunning.

I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
It wasn't cheap by any means and I did not have the $ to buy it. My lovely sister in law insisted I have it, paid for it and said I could pay her back when I sell it.

So far, I have yet to even list it as I am having a hard time finding out a fair price to ask! The only one I've found on eBay was listed at $7K, but ended early. Not sure why it ended early, but I'm hoping someone made them an offer that could not be refused!

I as shocked when I saw it sitting in a glass case in a thrift store! It's in amazing condition with no cracks, splits, dents or dings. The Koa looks spectacular the action is perfect, the intonation is perfect and the sound it puts out is simply stunning.

I'll try to post some pictures.
7k sounds about right for EC. There was one on eBay that was in absolutely horrible shape asking ..3k? that didn’t sell, as it was plainly worth misc parts.

They’re the best of the Taropatch, I have a ‘20s Style-1 Dave Newton put back together for me, nice instrument now. Pics would be cool of yours, those are very rare.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 PM

Default tiple

I have one, love the sound, like a whole chorus. 10 strings in 2 double and 2 triple courses, so the fingering gets pretty wide. Its relative pitch is like the 4 highest strings of a guitar, so we all know the chords, like we do for a uke. Mine is a '20's Regal, a very pretty little thing with a buckled top that still plays just fine and has low action. I don't know how it manages that.

I also don't know what to play on it. Fingerpicked, it is very quiet. Flatpicked, watch out! Loud. I have a tiple recording and by golly the guy there does great with it, really neat stuff (S American). He can really rip it up. Not me.

When I play out with it (not often), I introduce it by saying, "Don't ever put your guitar into the wash", then I bring it out. Gets a laugh every time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM

I also have an old Chicago-made Regal. I bought it at a yard sale from a music store owner who was retiring. I tune it a tone lower than recommended, GCEA, Like a ukulele with different octaves mixed in. I wish I had an easier way of posting a photo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments