The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Default Bose S-2 Pro !

Announcing the Bose S-2 Pro, with 130 watts, the 8" woofer, 6 tweeters, 4 channels PLUS the aux (5), a powered monitor out for the matching S-2/E extension speaker cab, an XLR AND a 1/4" line out just for kicks all in the same design as the S-1 and hardly bigger at all and still coming in under 25 pounds for 1K with the extension at about 5 bills.

Oh wait, I must have been dreaming..............

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Announcing the Bose S-2 Pro, with 130 watts, the 8" woofer, 6 tweeters, 4 channels PLUS the aux (5), a powered monitor out for the matching S-2/E extension speaker cab, an XLR AND a 1/4" line out just for kicks all in the same design as the S-1 and hardly bigger at all and still coming in under 25 pounds for 1K with the extension at about 5 bills.

HK nano 305FX

* with 130 watts =>It is 230w RMS
* the 8" woofer => It has 8" Celestion custom-made
* 6 tweeters =>It has 2x 3,5" Broadband (Celestion custom-made): [SORRY]
* 4 channels PLUS the aux (5) => 3 full combo-jack channels + 2 line jacks
* a powered monitor out for the matching S-2/E extension speaker cab=> There are two power outputs when you separate the two satellite. Feel free to use one as a monitor. There is also a Link out can work both for expansion or stereo use
* an XLR AND a 1/4" line out just for kicks => Just use the AUX send if you really need a second output
* all in the same design as the S-1 and hardly bigger at all and still coming in under 25 pounds => black plastic box as S-1 22.7 pounds
* for 1K with the extension at about 5 bills. => 739 euros so less than 1K. A second hand one should cost around 500 euros in Europe. You can add whatever extension you want...

Note that the 605FX and 608i are better but weight more (ask Dragonfly and MartinGitDave).
If you need battery power, jusk ask Dannyg1, he knows all the best devices to power such a PA.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:

It's not April 1st yet
Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 AM

it's interesting that it doesn't take
long for agf members to figure out what is lacking
in all of these prosumer models. One would think
as a sound reinforcement company bose or eae
or mesa could make an acoustic amp/ speaker
That has it all.. instead they make these half featured
items that keep us wanting ...must be good marketing.
I mean if we can figure it out why can't they?

Last edited by varmonter; 02-04-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
it's interesting that it doesn't take
long for agf members to figure out what is lacking
in all of these prosumer models. One would think
as a sound reinforcement company bose or eae
or mesa could make an acoustic amp/ speaker
That has it all.. instead they make these half featured
items that keep us wanting ...must be good marketing.
I mean if we can figure it out why can't they?
It almost seems intentional! I started a thread about this a while back. It seems like every amp/speaker/small system aimed at the acoustic market is always missing one or two things that to me seem like key features.

When I look at the Bose S1, one of the only products on the market that can be set on a table, put on a stand and tipped back as a wedge (without any additional gear) the glaring omission to me is the master volume! So they get the different configurations right (finally) and but still leave something out!

Once I get my mix set between my guitar and vocals, I don't want to mess with that to adjust my overall volume. What other product that has multiple channels doesn't include a master volume?! Only one comes to mind and that is the Bose L1 Compact. My theory is that Bose did this intentionally to sell more T1s (their digital mixer.)

I know it sounds like goofy conspiracy theory stuff but as varmonter said, if we can figure this out, these companies must know what they are leaving off.

Matt
Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 AM

what "essential" feature does the fishman mini charge miss?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

Cuki
Bass response and full output on battery power.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

Cuki
It doesn't look like you can mount it on a speaker stand or mic stand and you can't tip it back and use it as a stage monitor.

To me (and I've posted this before so please forgive the redundancy) there are 3 main ways a person would use an acoustic amp: 1) up on a speaker or mic stand as a "PA system" in small venues, 2) flat on the floor or on a table top or stool or something similar and 3) tipped back at the proper angle to be used as a wedge monitor.

This is just my personal view but something that doesn't offer these 3 options (with out the need for monitor stands, tip back wedges, kick stands, etc.) is just not a very versatile piece of gear.

Fishman, to me, is among the best for features. They always have their inputs and outputs very well configured but they are among the worst for set up configurations. Their amps will sit flat on something and that's it. (with the exception of the SA line which require a speaker stand.) I think some of their old amps had a little built in metal kickstand on the back of the amp but I'm not sure if they are even doing that any more.

Matt
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sounds like a formula for the "New and Improved" L1C. I like what I am reading about the S1, but by the time you add a stand for it, I still prefer the usage of the L1c, with the cords going to the unit on the floor, and the line array in the tower. I may pick up an S1 to replace a Fishman LBM... have to see it first.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post

I know it sounds like goofy conspiracy theory stuff but as varmonter said, if we can figure this out, these companies must know what they are leaving off.

Matt
Not a conspiracy, accessary add on sales and planned obselecence is a fact and a way of life for almost everything today. My original tablet hardly works anymore because that fruit company wont let me update it anymore. They say I need a newer version. Fine, but it wont be from them.

Anyways I think the EAE stuff has pretty much everything you need all in one. Even their basic models offer quite a bit for the money. They have addressed the db issue by coming out with a bigger model but I think this large cab design is going backwards IMO. Column speakers are the way forward as city governments keep lowering allowable db levels because public health concerns. Concerts arent as loud as they used to be. Even nightclubs have had to reduce SPL. And systems like the L1 help spread the sound without damaging the hearing. But for smaller and more intimate settings the D6-8 or A4-8 has little left to be desired for the solo singer/songwriter. I would just like to know how they handle a trio with keyboards and small e drum set. Anyone done this yet?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sounds like a formula for the "New and Improved" L1C. I like what I am reading about the S1, but by the time you add a stand for it, I still prefer the usage of the L1c, with the cords going to the unit on the floor, and the line array in the tower. I may pick up an S1 to replace a Fishman LBM... have to see it first.
I just hate the idea of having to buy a mixer for a $900.00 rig.

You're spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Murphy Slaw;5628545]I just hate the idea of having to buy a mixer for a $900.00 rig.

/QUOTE]
Same here. That's why I bought mine off craigslist.

I've read the L1C discussed up, down, and sideways on this forum the last few months and have never read about reliability issues. At all. It's about as safe a second-hand purchase as you can make.

Last edited by troggg; 02-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
They have addressed the db issue by coming out with a bigger model but I think this large cab design is going backwards IMO. Column speakers are the way forward as city governments keep lowering allowable db levels because public health concerns.
I think it is a little early to declare the demise of "conventional" speaker systems. Last time I looked my mixer has a volume control and our PA sounds good at reasonable volumes and has good dispersion and throw in a real world environment. And I don't have to worry about running out of gas when I need more or want to add a guest instrument/vocal.

Large cabs are kind of a thing of the past for box speakers. That paradigm vanished a while back. I get great coverage and full wide range sound with our conventional speaker set up. And BTW I have gigged through the column systems.

I sure hope columns are NOT the way forward. Or at least not the only way.

hunter
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=troggg;5628701]
Quote:
I just hate the idea of having to buy a mixer for a $900.00 rig.

/QUOTE]
Same here. That's why I bought mine off craigslist.

I've read the L1C discussed up, down, and sideways on this forum the last few months and have never read about reliability issues. At all. It's about as safe a second-hand purchase as you can make.
I have had my L1C for just over 7 years - no issues, it just keeps working.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Default Bose S-2 Pro !

I gave up on the idea. And, I'm not at all surprised that audio companies have too. We are all too fickle a bunch of people to base any R&D on us. The “real" money making market is the prosumer market, where folks buy stuff for less than $1,000, use it, and don't return the product 15 minutes after writing 500 word bad reviews.

I would avoid us like the plague. :-)

In all seriousness, I am looking at pro audio for the kinds of singer songwriter gigs that we do in a few of buckets. Each bucket requires the performer to have a few different tools. If you are a solo act playing for more than 100-200 people, God bless you. Get a sound man. And, remember, buy for your actual crowd size. Don’t go crazy with power for a wine bar or a pub. First, you should not be playing loud enough to hurt your audiences’ hearing. Secondly, you have to carry this stuff.

As for me, you can see in my signature, I gave up on the idea of the modular system. I now have a small and small/medium sized system. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. One is not a substitute for the other.

Bucket One: Solo Act

Tool 1: (1) Small portable/battery powered unit (Bose S1, Loudbox, AER, FreePlay, Laney, QSC K8.2 etc.)

I think most performers should have access to a simple two channel amp/speaker unit with 6.5” or larger speaker that can handle up to 50 listeners. This is your “coffee house” setup.

The lighter the better - and certainly less than 20 pounds. Battery power, and speaker pole mount is a bonus. Reverb is important. For those of you who use combo pedals like the TC Play Acoustic or VE-8, it makes sense just to get a good powered speaker like the QSC K8.2.

Tool 2: (1) Medium sized system.

This can be anything: speakers and mixer, column unit, personal PA system. This is your “pub gig” setup. It should be a 2-way system with a minimum of an 8" woofer and some tweeters with at least 200 watts RMS. The mixer can be on-board or outboard. A four a channel mixer would work in case you have someone sit in.

Bucket Two: Duo Act

Tool 1: (2) Small portable/battery powered units (Bose S1, Loudbox, AER, FreePlay, Laney, QSC K8.2 etc.)

Each dude or dudette needs their own. Don't bother trying to hook up mixers to a single 6.5" speaker.

Tool 2: (1) Medium sized system that can handle a pub gig.

Let's be honest, unless you are playing a really loud joint, you should be able to get 2 guitars and vocals through a medium sized PA in a pub. However, this is the point where a modular system can start to make sense.

Bucket Three: Small Ensemble or Band

Go get a proper PA system and stop fussing with amps. You probably need a pair of 2-way tops and (possibly) a sub woofer. When you choose your mixer, buy one with twice the number of mic preamps than you have today, with a minimum of 8.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-05-2018 at 04:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification