The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Default High end boost for acoustic guitar

I'm having trouble getting a good boost sound with my Martin D-28 on stage. I'm using a Fishman Rare Earth blend pickup, 1/4" into a Boss Chorus pedal, 1/4" into a clean boost pedal, 1/4" into a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, XLR into the snake.

I can't get the boost to produce enough clean, loud sound for leads.
Any thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 AM

Hard to say, given the high quality gear you've described in your chain. Maybe a volume pedal would help, since the Rare Earth Blend doesn't have a volume control.

What are you using for a monitor? It's possible that the sound out front is cutting through, but you aren't hearing it onstage, so a good monitor or an in-ear system might help. Or you could use an amp for your onstage sound, tweaked to taste, and send a line out from the amp to the snake.

Or, for an absolutely 100% sure-fire way to cut through the mix for live performance: use a Tele.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdoc View Post
I'm having trouble getting a good boost sound with my Martin D-28 on stage. I'm using a Fishman Rare Earth blend pickup, 1/4" into a Boss Chorus pedal, 1/4" into a clean boost pedal, 1/4" into a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, XLR into the snake.

Any thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
Hi d-doc...

What are you playing/monitoring the guitar through? How are you judging the top end of your sound to not be good?

And when you say you want high end boost, are you talking treble?

How fresh are the strings?

Have you had someone else play while you go into the house and listen?

Are you in a band, and being overridden by other instruments, and trying to outplay them?

Lastly, is the Fishman blend recommended for the Aura? Though it works best with undersaddle pickups.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM

I too am uncertain what aspect of sound quality you are trying to improve and I wonder if a compressor would give you the result you seek.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
You may or may not be aware of this..... there is a trim feature on the Aura to adjust for the type of pickup you are using. It may not be set correctly. Look at your manual, they give great advice on how to set it for max. volume and little if any distortion. This info is not for the boost needed for leads, just to make sure distortion does not creep in during the boost.

Now, Try your pedals in the FX loop of the Aura instead of chaining them into the input of the Aura. This will make a huge difference.

I am a little concerned about pushing the preamp in the Aura too much with the boost pedal..... however let us know how using the FX loop works.

BRAD
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
You might try putting the chorus and boost pedals in the FX loop of the Spectrum. This way you can set your two inital gain stages and only add the boost after that. The gain at the board should be set to accommodate the loudest sound you make, whether it's with the boost or not (although if you set it to your loud strum without boost, watch out for strumming when you've got the boost on).

I've found it's useful to watch the meter on the mixer when I'm setting the gain for both rhythm playing and boosted leads. Make sure that the sound you make with your leads is hitting the same level as your basic strum. Adjust the clean boost accordingly. Is someone working the board for and while you play, or are you on your own with the sound system?

And, make sure you work out the dynamics with your band. They will need to to pull back and give you space when you solo.

Louis
Old 09-15-2013, 01:47 AM

A good trick I've used is to have a "cut" pedal. Off is your lead volume, on is your rhythm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
boost, fishman, guitar, loud