The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Apogee mic vs. Tascam iM2X iphone mic

I’ve been impressed with the quality of the iPhone video and voice memo function to do simple recordings of my acoustic guitar.

I have the GarageBand ap and was thinking of getting an apogee mic.
I’ve searched the forum archives and there is much love for the apogee.

The only comment that has me hesitating a bit is that for solo guitar, stereo recording could be preferable, and the apogee is mono.

So I am wondering how recording my acoustic guitar in stereo with the Tascam iM2X would compare to the apogee mic in mono.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM

True stereophonic recordings capture three dimensional information which our brains assemble based on the difference between what each of our ears picks up (time delays, phase differences, et cetera). However, many stereo recordings don’t fully capture that dimensional information and an artificial stereo image is created instead during the mix down. That can be accomplished with one microphone.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Apogee mic vs. Tascam

Thanks for the information Herb.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

There is a mic I can plug directly into the iPhone to get better recordings?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
There is a mic I can plug directly into the iPhone to get better recordings?
Apogee makes one that is compatible with iPbone and iPad:

http://apogeedigital.com/products/mic.php

Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
True stereophonic recordings capture three dimensional information which our brains assemble based on the difference between what each of our ears picks up (time delays, phase differences, et cetera). However, many stereo recordings don’t fully capture that dimensional information and an artificial stereo image is created instead during the mix down. That can be accomplished with one microphone.
Yes Herb but the anomalies of a stereo mic'd situation are often (more so right now than ever in history) weighed against the sometime large sonic gains that scenario provides. For a beginner (like the OP) he or she needs to know there's powerful possibilities in both techniques. You probably didn't mean it to sound that way but your post seems to discourage stereo micing and promote mono techniques.

I'm inclined much more often than not to record acoustic guitar in mono as well, so I'm a big fan for a variety of reasons. But the OP should know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that stereo recordings can provide a whole bunch of positive sonic advantages in an acoustic guitar recording.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes Herb but the anomalies of a stereo mic'd situation are often (more so right now than ever in history) weighed against the sometime large sonic gains that scenario provides. For a beginner (like the OP) he or she needs to know there's powerful possibilities in both techniques. You probably didn't mean it to sound that way but your post seems to discourage stereo micing and promote mono techniques.

I'm inclined much more often than not to record acoustic guitar in mono as well, so I'm a big fan for a variety of reasons. But the OP should know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that stereo recordings can provide a whole bunch of positive sonic advantages in an acoustic guitar recording.
Your assumption is correct, I wasn’t inveighing against dual mic recordings. Yet I wasn’t championing single mic recording either. My point was that since dual mic setups don’t always yield stereophonic results and many recordings have artificial stereophonic sound anyway, one shouldn’t rule out buying a single microphone since an artificial stereophonic sound field can be created with a single mic.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Default Decided on the Apogee Mic

Thank you guys for the feedback.

I have decided to go with the Apogee Mic.

An additional reason was for ease of use. Some of the reviews indicate that you have to donwload software to use the Tascam. From what I have read, you just take the Apogee out of the box and plug in and play.

Of course, once I decided on the Mic, I then started wondering if I should go with the Apogee One. However, it looks like there is a new version that is no longer $250, but now up to $350.

Matthew,
In addition to the Apogee, here is a link to check out the Tascam.
http://tascam.com/product/im2x/
Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
Thank you guys for the feedback.

I have decided to go with the Apogee Mic.

An additional reason was for ease of use. Some of the reviews indicate that you have to donwload software to use the Tascam. From what I have read, you just take the Apogee out of the box and plug in and play.

Of course, once I decided on the Mic, I then started wondering if I should go with the Apogee One. However, it looks like there is a new version that is no longer $250, but now up to $350.

Matthew,
In addition to the Apogee, here is a link to check out the Tascam.
http://tascam.com/product/im2x/
The $250 Apogee One is essentially incompatible with the iPad and iPhone whereas the much improved $350 version is (it has an improved preamp and analog to digital converter).
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Thanks hunter, ill give it a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD