The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Beginner Questions about Recording

Hi,

I've got a acoustic/electric guitar (that is about it...)

I'm curious about playing and recording some rhythm, and then playing it back (so I can work on a melody). The sound quality is not a big deal, I just want something repeating back what I played.

What is the cheapest way to get this started? I have a PC at home. Can get a cable to plug the guitar right into the mic on the soundcard? Is there some featureless cheap software I can grab? How much money would these two things cost?

Am I wasting my time and should instead save up and get some better equipment?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM

The cheapest and still successful way to record is with a portable digital recorder. Zoom and Tascam make some nice models for under $100. Transfer your files to your computer with a digital audio workshop (DAW). There are several available via freeware that would likely do everything you need.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
Hi,

I've got a acoustic/electric guitar (that is about it...)

I'm curious about playing and recording some rhythm, and then playing it back (so I can work on a melody). The sound quality is not a big deal, I just want something repeating back what I played.

What is the cheapest way to get this started? I have a PC at home. Can get a cable to plug the guitar right into the mic on the soundcard? Is there some featureless cheap software I can grab? How much money would these two things cost?

Am I wasting my time and should instead save up and get some better equipment?
I've gotten an adapter at Radio Shack that let me plug my 1/4" guitar cable into the 1/8" mic input on my computer. Audacity is a very effective bit of free software that will record and play back. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD