The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Used RME Fireface UC or new Sound Devices USBPre2?

I've been granted access to the parish that I originally wanted to record in. I'm upgrading my interface for the occasion. Was originally going for the USBPre2, and the only reason I was avoiding the Babyface is because of form and function, and the massive breakout cable was a real turn off to me. I can get a used Fireface UC for about the same price as a new Babyface or USBPre2.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of the boxes mentioned?

It's also been suggested to me that I go ahead and get a nice dual pre and simply plug it into my Scarlett 2i2 for conversion. I originally did not want to spring for a dedicated pre until I could pair it with a nice converter at the same time, but a few at GS indicated this is a viable way to go.

Opinions?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I like the RME mixer interface. I like their Digicheck which you can use with it. They keep their software drivers up to date.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I like the RME mixer interface. I like their Digicheck which you can use with it. They keep their software drivers up to date.
I agree, The digicheck is really useful, I use it during mic setup. And the rme total mix is pretty useful, too. Routing, monitoring, ms decoding, etc. good stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:37 AM

Thanks, Rick and Doug.

What do you think of the pre's? One of the guys at SoundPure claimed that I would have to spend over 4k to get standalone pres and converters superior to the Sound Devices, and he was hesitant to make that same claim with RME.

Rick, when you say that you find digicheck useful for mic placement, are you talking about more than just gains?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post
Thanks, Rick and Doug.

What do you think of the pre's? One of the guys at SoundPure claimed that I would have to spend over 4k to get standalone pres and converters superior to the Sound Devices, and he was hesitant to make that same claim with RME.

Rick, when you say that you find digicheck useful for mic placement, are you talking about more than just gains?
Both are pro products. I doubt I could hear any difference, or if there was a difference, I can't predict which would be "better". The digicheck has levels, spectrum, and phase meters, etc They not unique, but handy. All in one place, and you can run it without your daw, and look at any pair of signals. For example, I can set up 4 mics and compare the phase between any two. See an overview here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vd0OPNwgI
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM

I just got a Fireface UC off the 'bay "open box" but new w/ warranty for under $900. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Both are pro products. I doubt I could hear any difference, or if there was a difference, I can't predict which would be "better". The digicheck has levels, spectrum, and phase meters, etc They not unique, but handy. All in one place, and you can run it without your daw, and look at any pair of signals. For example, I can set up 4 mics and compare the phase between any two. See an overview here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vd0OPNwgI
So for example, in my home recordings, there is a low mid spike that is problematic when I cross reference in car speakers or earbuds, I could theoretically fire up the spectrum analyzer and have a visual reference to tame that spike while positioning the mics? Requiring less need for eq in mixdown? Do I understand this correctly?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So for example, in my home recordings, there is a low mid spike that is problematic when I cross reference in car speakers or earbuds, I could theoretically fire up the spectrum analyzer and have a visual reference to tame that spike while positioning the mics? Requiring less need for eq in mixdown? Do I understand this correctly?
You can do that and check for phase, etc., that is if you can see the computer screen from the position you want to record at.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You can do that and check for phase, etc., that is if you can see the computer screen from the position you want to record at.

yeah, all the views can be useful. The phase meter is what I use the most, it basically gives you balance, phase and stereo width all in one view. I usually beam it to my ipad via AirDisplay, so I can have it right in front of me where I'm sitting at the mics.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Thinking about using an ipad for this. Regardless, my son is going to help me, so I will have an extra pair of hands and eyes.

Last edited by KenW; 08-01-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 AM

Well I plugged it in tonight and played around a bit with it, I see what the rave is about when it comes to drivers, my laptop recognized it instantly with no issues whatsoever. Obviously a very solid unit.

Newbie question for Doug and/or rick-slo: in the Totalmix, should I set the sliders at -0- and adjust my levels with the gain knob? I'm so used to just reaching for a volume knob.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I plugged it in tonight and played around a bit with it, I see what the rave is about when it comes to drivers, my laptop recognized it instantly with no issues whatsoever. Obviously a very solid unit.

Newbie question for Doug and/or rick-slo: in the Totalmix, should I set the sliders at -0- and adjust my levels with the gain knob? I'm so used to just reaching for a volume knob.
The first thing to do is to read the manual. If you do not already have it, it is available on line.

Repeat: The first thing to do is to read the manual. - though I will say I do not understand very well certain things in it since a lot of available features I do no have the need to use.

Now if you are talking about recording, the input volume sliders have no direct effect on the recording level (say you are recording in on input 11 and 12 to stereo track one). The sliders control the volume sent to other channels.

Personally for my limited needs I just leave the sliders at -0- and control volume levels for playback, sends, etc. in the DAW (in my case Ableton Live).

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-05-2013 at 09:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD