The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 AM

Wink Who Says Emerald Shipments are Slow?

Hi All,

Broke my one guitar rule and ordered a Amicus with satin neck. Emailed Kevin on Thursday Aug29th, was part of Alistair's shipping video on Sept 3rd and is on its way!!!

Special thank you to Kevin for making this so easy!!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi All,

Broke my one guitar rule and ordered a Amicus with satin neck. Emailed Kevin on Thursday Aug29th, was part of Alistair's shipping video on Sept 3rd and is on its way!!!

Special thank you to Kevin for making this so easy!!
Glad you broke that one rule...if it helps I’ll play my Amicus whilst you wait.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Emerald certainly turns it around fast however border customs might slow things down. Let's start the clock on August 29th and see when your new jewel arrives. I am hoping this week for your sake. Congratulations on your imminent NGD.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Thursday is a good day to get your order in... on my first Emerald, I ordered on Thursday afternoon, it shipped the next day, had it in my hands early Monday afternoon (in a small town at the southern tip of Texas). Less than 4 days.

Second Emerald (a Select Series, so also in stock), I ordered late Friday, it didn't ship until the next Friday, took a week from that to get to Phoenix. 13 days total.

It's all about the timing. I'm pretty sure that first order was "just in time" to get on each truck and a couple planes.

Hope the wait passes quickly and you are soon playing your new Amicus! (shown actual size)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone...This is the second time around on an Amicus. I bought one 2 or 3 years ago and did not bond with it. Since then I have broaden my playing to ukes of all sizes and found a new interest in its sound. It is funny how your ear evolves over time. Also... have to give credit to my McPherson Touring that satisified by 6 string needs so well that with that foundation covered ... looking for some edge cases for my playing.

Either way .. always loved the body shape of the X5OS and glad to see it repurposed by Alistair. Additionally if you watch the Sept 3rd video you will see that he also used it for a super Tenor (8 string Uke). Perhaps he is edging toward a full tenor uke someday.

Hope so....
Old 09-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

It seems to really vary a lot. I've heard enough horror stories here, mostly of problems with tracking and slowdowns once they hit the US or Canada, but occasionally with shipping slowdowns from Emerald. But I've been extremely lucky. I've ordered two guitars from Emerald, both in-stock items. Both were ordered on a Tuesday or Wednesday, both shipped that Friday, and both showed up at my door the next Tuesday. Nobody, including me, should ever COUNT on that kind of turn-around. But it does happen and it's really nice when it does...

-Ray
Old 09-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

The Amicus is an interesting and challenging instrument.

I got a used one a while back. It was strung with a less than optimal string set. I got that sorted out quickly thanks to Emerald’s online customer service.

I started out on it fingerstyle. I really got into a groove and understanding once I went to a flatpick. I found a BC 40 to give the best results.

I should add, I rarely strum as a primary approach to an instrument, not being a good vocalist. I go for instrumentals, both linear/melodic and chord melody/ harmonic. Amicus is a different voice for this, in a good way.

So using the Amicus as a solo instrument has broadened and deepened my musical thought processes as well as my “ ear”. I have yet to use it in a group setting.

Good luck with your Amicus reboot OP. I will be interested to hear your thoughts and findings the 2nd time around.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
The Amicus is an interesting and challenging instrument.

I found a BC 40 to give the best results.
Thanks Mark.... you already having an impact... what is BC 40?
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Blue Chip pick, 40 “gauge” thickness. I don’t have a 35, their thinnest, but I want to try one.

Lots of pick shapes/profiles. Be forewarned, they’re $35 or so a piece. I already have some for guitar flatpicking. Look for them used, but still $25 ish.

No need for a boutiques pick! Dunlop etc. picks work fine as well. But hey, this is AGF!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Blue Chip pick, 40 “gauge” thickness. I don’t have a 35, their thinnest, but I want to try one.

Lots of pick shapes/profiles. Be forewarned, they’re $35 or so a piece. I already have some for guitar flatpicking. Look for them used, but still $25 ish.

No need for a boutiques pick! Dunlop etc. picks work fine as well. But hey, this is AGF!
Many thanks... will take a look.... last time I looked at a high end accessory ...I bought a $160 capo from Elliot Capos... GREAT capo but as K-man says ..getting a little expensive :-)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
as K-man says ..getting a little expensive :-)
I forgot I had that in a signature... maybe another forum
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 09-05-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Wordage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber