The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
From your experience, was the new X7 more resonant/louder than the old x7?
Fingerpicked, no. Flatpicked, yes.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
For the player, the new one is a LOT louder, not sure that equates to resonance, but probably a bit. But the offset soundhole directs a lot of sound right up at the players ear, so the new one really seems much louder when you're playing. To a listener out front of the guitar, or on a recording, the new one is louder, but not by a lot. So, for your audience, not a huge difference, and probably none if you're plugged in. But if you're your own audience a lot of the time, it makes a really big difference.
Got it. Thanks for sharing!

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
For the player, the new one is a LOT louder, not sure that equates to resonance, but probably a bit. But the offset soundhole directs a lot of sound right up at the players ear, so the new one really seems much louder when you're playing. To a listener out front of the guitar, or on a recording, the new one is louder, but not by a lot. So, for your audience, not a huge difference, and probably none if you're plugged in. But if you're your own audience a lot of the time, it makes a really big difference.
I prefer and use it as a "personal monitor" for completely acoustic situations where I don't get much/any reflected sound (outdoor). The difference is pretty significant for my playing both in terms of confidence and dynamics.

For recording, definitely prefer my wood round center soundhole guitars. But for playing live, definitely prefer the offset/angled soundhole of my new (v3, even though the title of my review says v2) X7. IMO it is a near-perfect performance/travel guitar. And great action/tension with .013s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber