The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: Would you like a hardshell case or a decently padded gig bag with your CF guitar???
Hardshell Case 32 42.67%
Decently Padded Gig Bag 43 57.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
For those who said gig bag only, how was the guitar shipped to you? In that gig bag only? Was there a shipping box or something?
I assume you’re asking about Emeralds (as you just ordered one ) - they all ship in a very sturdy box, regardless of whether you ordered a gig bag or a hard case.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
When I'm walking through the airport I want a gig bag.

After I've placed it in the overhead I want a case.

If it gets gate checked then I really want a case.

Carrying my guitar around town and in my car I want a bag.

Sharing a ride to a gig with all of his stuff and our PA I want a case.

There is no pleasing me!
That's where my 90% Rule comes in. When you're moving about with your guitar (or your guitar is in transit via plane, bus, car, bicycle etc., does a hard case or gig bag best meet your needs 90% of the time???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
That's where my 90% Rule comes in. When you're moving about with your guitar (or your guitar is in transit via plane, bus, car, bicycle etc., does a hard case or gig bag best meet your needs 90% of the time???
My gig bags are stored in a closet and I went entirely with cases. I paid extra for the specific TKL case models that have no extra space at the headstock and are a snug fit to the body to minimize total bulk and weight.

My CO-PA came with a Access case which was quite bulky. I got rid of it on Craigslist and replaced it with the same TKL I bought for my CH-PA. The Gator bag I got with the H-DR is also gone on Craigslist. I thought it was too bulky.

For a short while I tried the Gator 3/4 acoustic case which is also light and compact on a RainSong Parlor. But its quality was just too low and I gave it away (protruding staples holding the top fabric in place, misplaced hinges such that it did not close tightly...).

So my bottom line, at least for now, is a good quality case that fits with no excess bulk.

My preference would be that guitars be sold without a case/bag and I can get the one I really want.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-06-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
For those who said gig bag only, how was the guitar shipped to you? In that gig bag only? Was there a shipping box or something?
We have received Emerald guitars in both hard cases and gig bags. All were in a well padded box and arrived safely. I don't know if they will ship without any case, but you can ask. If there isn't a "no case" option, then I would choose the hard case and resell it later. Getting a Hiscox case in the US can be an expensive proposition. And I really like the Hiscox hard case over all others.

Speaking to RP's 90% rule, I refuse to fly commercially anymore, so a gig bag covers me virtually 100% of the time. Hard cases only get used for humidity control for the remaining wooden guitars during the dry season, and otherwise take up space. For many buyers, having a proper hard case is a bonus if you ever resell your guitar and can make the difference between buying your guitar -- or not.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Hmm ... I’ll throw my 2 bits in the ring for the HSC, long long ago I had guitars. That were gig bagged so to speak and found that they just never provided the protection I wanted for my instruments, especially when it came to unintentional “oops”. All of my instruments have sturdy wood cases (Deering and Ameritage) and I LOVE the wonderfully sturdy Hiscox case my Emerald came in, so light weight I don’t even think about a wanting a gig bag .....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My preference would be that guitars be sold without a case/bag and I can get the one I really want.
I tend to agree, with some major caveats.

I can buy a case that fits a Dread anywhere.
I can buy a case that fits an OM/000 easily.

00 or 0 are doable, though harder.

Weird or slightly odd shapes are a royal pain to try to find a case. I still haven't found a case that fits my Guild F-212 properly. A Taylor GA case would be perfect (since Taylor copied Guild's body size) but Guild's headstock is much longer. Similarly, I have a Tacoma Roadking. It's a Dread, but a shallow dread, so of course dread cases don't fit.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

FWIW I recently requested and received my special order Rainsong H-WS1100N2T (from LA Guitar Sales) in a Rainsong gig bag. Very adequate protection for my needs and extremely light to carry...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber