The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I've owned a few and they have all been excellent. The E1SS-LTD I picked up recently is just on another level tho...
What is up with those guitars? I thought I got lucky with my E1ss-cla-ltd and stumbled on a special one but seems others have had similar experiences with them.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've owned a few and they have all been excellent. The E1SS-LTD I picked up recently is just on another level tho...
I've heard so many good things about this model and it's so inexpensive it has me GAS'ing for one bad. If I hadn't already bought 3 guitars this year I'd jump on it. I just hope there may be one around next year.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
What is up with those guitars? I thought I got lucky with my E1ss-cla-ltd and stumbled on a special one but seems others have had similar experiences with them.
Who knows but if I had to guess- some of it is the headroom of an Adi top on a short-scale. Sapele seems to have a bit more focus than mahogany and the open-pore finish can't hurt. Had a E10D that was super nice but I never bonded with it. The E1SS is making me think I should keep my Yamaha FG-340 and let my other acoustics go.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:12 AM

It’s the best sounding guitar I’ve ever played in this price range very open and loud, and although I don’t need any more guitars I’d jump on it if it were not for the skinny nut width! The parlour is stunning as well but same issue. If you like 1-11/16 these guitars are genuine value for money.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 09-18-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Who knows but if I had to guess- some of it is the headroom of an Adi top on a short-scale. Sapele seems to have a bit more focus than mahogany and the open-pore finish can't hurt. Had a E10D that was super nice but I never bonded with it. The E1SS is making me think I should keep my Yamaha FG-340 and let my other acoustics go.
But isn't it just their "cheapest" dread (as in the E1D) with slightly different specs (shorter scale, smaller nud width) and an Adi top instead of Sitka? Hell, something must be different though if they're asking for almost 2x the amount of money...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillendreher View Post
But isn't it just their "cheapest" dread (as in the E1D) with slightly different specs (shorter scale, smaller nud width) and an Adi top instead of Sitka? Hell, something must be different though if they're asking for almost 2x the amount of money...
It's a different body shape than the E1D. It also comes with a pickup. I'm not sure why the price is so much higher, but perhaps someone who has seen them side by side will enlighten us.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM

E1ss has adirondack while the E1d has sitka so right there is a price increase for the E1ss. And yes it does have a pickup although nothing special. I know on other makers, Adi can be a 1k up-charge.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
E1ss has adirondack while the E1d has sitka so right there is a price increase for the E1ss. And yes it does have a pickup although nothing special. I know on other makers, Adi can be a 1k up-charge.
Adi looks to be about a $300 up-charge with Eastman, based on online prices from a well-known Eastman dealer for comparable models (E8D vs. E20D, E6D vs. E10D). And whether or not the pickup is special, it's still going to account for at least some increase in price. The price difference between the E1D and the E1SS Ltd is $310 from that same Eastman dealer, which pretty much accounts for the Adi+pickup.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've heard so many good things about this model and it's so inexpensive it has me GAS'ing for one bad. If I hadn't already bought 3 guitars this year I'd jump on it. I just hope there may be one around next year.
Ya'll keep this up and I'm going to raise the price on the one I have for sale!!!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

In general, I've never been 100% happy with any factory-installed p/u, although I confess I've never played an Eastman. I'm ridiculously fussy about stuff like that and tend to like to add an aftermarket system.

sm
Old 09-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
In general, I've never been 100% happy with any factory-installed p/u, although I confess I've never played an Eastman. I'm ridiculously fussy about stuff like that and tend to like to add an aftermarket system.

sm
I'm with you. Most sound bad to me. I put a K&K and use a red-eye into a fender acoustic amp on my new E20OM-TC, though, and it sounds incredible. It sounds so real compared the same K&K in my CEO7. Something about the Eastman being more balanced I think makes it sound better amplified.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm with you. Most sound bad to me. I put a K&K and use a red-eye into a fender acoustic amp on my new E20OM-TC, though, and it sounds incredible. It sounds so real compared the same K&K in my CEO7. Something about the Eastman being more balanced I think makes it sound better amplified.
Agreed, Jesse. I've heard great things about the Red Eye gear, but most of my playing out these days is open mics, with quick changes between acts, so I need the best plug-and-play I can find. I run Trance Audio Amulets in both my Easties, installed by the same guy who does all Jackson Browne's work.

I have to say this: Taylor guitars sound horrific plugged in. I honestly don't think those people in San Diego know what a wooden guitar sounds like. It's just awful. I've heard hundreds over the past five years. Ugh.

sm
Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 PM

So I just took my E1ss in for a set up because the action raised up quite a bit since I got it. I was going to see about getting the pickup removed but the luthier said it was actually a decent pick up and it was cost prohibitive for me to take it out.

I picked up it today and he said "I can see why you like it, it sounds real nice." Then we talked about Eastmans in general and he said how the music store people are pretty savvy and a lot of them own Eastmans and get their pick of the crop etc,
He asked where I got it, what I paid. This place is the local music chain's go to for set ups and repairs so he wanted to know which store I got it from. LOL. I think he was thinking of checking one out for himself.
And FTW, now the action is perfect!

Old 09-24-2019, 01:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
So I just took my E1ss in for a set up because the action raised up quite a bit since I got it. I was going to see about getting the pickup removed but the luthier said it was actually a decent pick up and it was cost prohibitive for me to take it out.

I picked up it today and he said "I can see why you like it, it sounds real nice." Then we talked about Eastmans in general and he said how the music store people are pretty savvy and a lot of them own Eastmans and get their pick of the crop etc,
He asked where I got it, what I paid. This place is the local music chain's go to for set ups and repairs so he wanted to know which store I got it from. LOL. I think he was thinking of checking one out for himself.
And FTW, now the action is perfect!
Great to hear. As I'm sure I've shared in this thread, I play my $850 (pre-owned) E-10SS far more than my HD-28. For one thing, it is, IMHO, by far a much better fingerstyle guitar, and in general more versatile than the Martin. And that's saying something.

sm
Old 09-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 2019 E20 00 12 fret a couple of weeks ago. It’s exceeding my expectations for full sound and tone. I love the size and the beefy neck. Just put JP pure nickel on it today,not too hard adjusting to stringing the slot head. I think between this and my Breedlove my gas might be satisfied until I can play better
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion