The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-18-2018, 01:07 PM

From Ryan's email:

The things we do for customers...
So I decided I would try to use some of your record cabinet wood today. We always back our cutaways up with some internal veneer to strengthen the bend. We typically try to match the color of the side wood, but as we didn’t have any Guatemalan veneer on hand, I thought your redwood would be fairly close. So I decided to make some veneer out of a piece of your redwood.

First I found a section that would be good for this but not a lot else. I resawed it down to 1/16” thick by 4.5” by 13”.

Then I had to bend that thin little stuff without breaking it.

Of course redwood is prone to split, but somehow we did a decent job getting it around these crazy bends.

Then I slathered it up with epoxy...

And voila! We’ll wait till tomorrow to see how it all set up. We have to use a fair amount of wax paper to keep the epoxy from sticking everything together, and we use some thin sheet metal to help strengthen the compression of the two pieces together.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Well that will be a cool little touch to know that is in there! How cool! Ya done good Ryan!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 AM

The back gets its decorative center strip, which will match the binding.

More redwood for the support strip

Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Shaping up to be another stunner!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 PM

Working on the back radius:

And the back braces:

Sorry I haven't figured out how to resize these things.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m going to start filling in for Stan on posting pictures just to help out a little. Progress is being made on getting this more into guitar shape. First picture is all the internal bracing glued in - waiting to be carved.

Second shot is of fitting the back. This allows us to line up the back braces and routing pockets in the lining for them to sit in.

And the third image is the side braces being glued into the rim assembly. Originally we were going to use fabric strips for this step, but we couldn’t find any that quite did it for Stan. That’s ok, he had supplied us with some redwood from a well loved record cabinet that had been disassembled. So I cut side braces from his redwood (which is what we had made the cutaway lamination from) and used it instead.

More pics to come as we continue.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 PM

The braces match the cutaway veneer! That is too cool. It's a good thing I'm very busy tomorrow or I'd be tempted to jump in the car and come see it at this stage! I've got to go practice for ten hours - every day! No way I'm going to deserve this guitar.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Carved the top today. Always a good day when you can tap along and feel the top come alive.

Started the sound port.

And now I have the major box components ready for assembly.

Thanks for watching.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:26 AM

Don't forget the strap button reinforcement on the side! More redwood there, or does that need to be a harder wood like mahogany or padauk?

That group photo makes me weak in the knees. It's going to be as beautiful on the inside as the outside! Take lots more photos before you close it up!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here’s a shot of the interior of the rim. The Redwood veneer seems to blend well with the D. tucarensis.

All clamped up ready for a back.

Rubber band attack!

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:33 PM

Putting the lid on the box!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yes you do deserve this Guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
The braces match the cutaway veneer! That is too cool. It's a good thing I'm very busy tomorrow or I'd be tempted to jump in the car and come see it at this stage! I've got to go practice for ten hours - every day! No way I'm going to deserve this guitar.
Hey SJ. Everyone should have the absolute best instrument they can beg, borrow, steal or pay for!
The better your guitar, the more it will call you to come and play. The more you come and play the better you will get. The better you get, the more your guitar will call you, and on and on!
I often tell people that with my John Kinnaird instruments even my mistakes sound better! Haha. Good thing as there are plenty of em...
Cool that your bookcase is involved, too.
Have fun!
Nice work gang!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here’s some more pice of the progress.

Inside of the body with label installed.

Fitting the top by scribing where the brace pockets should be with a dental pick.

Stan already posted the top being glued on, but later today, I’ll let you see what the body actually looks like.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Hey SJ. Everyone should have the absolute best instrument they can beg, borrow, steal or pay for!
The better your guitar, the more it will call you to come and play. The more you come and play the better you will get. The better you get, the more your guitar will call you, and on and on!
I often tell people that with my John Kinnaird instruments even my mistakes sound better! Haha. Good thing as there are plenty of em...
Cool that your bookcase is involved, too.
Have fun!
Nice work gang!!!

Paul
I strongly second Paul on this!! I tell people I plan to spend the rest of my life trying to play into what my excellent instruments can do. And I pretty much know it's an unrealistic goal!

I started playing guitar later in life after having played multiple other instruments. My ear is always going to be way ahead of my abilities. But there is something about playing a wonderfully made guitar that is special- the feel of a great guitar is so cool and does keep me coming back and makes me a better player.

Paul is an excellent musician- I was blessed to watch him and listen to him a few weeks ago. I loved listening to him. But one of my favorite things was watching him pick up one of his Kinnairds and just strum it once, slowly, and feel the vibration and listen to the tone. And then just get this huge grin! He loves the feel and the sound of his great guitars!

All of us on the forum can strum across the strings one time, slowly. Even those of us who are just picking up the guitar and are wondering if our fingers will ever stop hurting. And to get a tone that we can feel as the guitar vibrates and that makes us smile, (whatever level guitar we can afford), is one of the gifts of playing a guitar vs some of the other brass and woodwind instruments I played when I was younger.

That said.... I do sometimes feel bad for my wonderful guitars that they're stuck with me instead of a Julliard trained guitarist who could really show them off. But I'm finding that one of the gifts of playing great guitars is excellent musicians want to play them. So I get together with brilliant players and I get to make music with gifted musicians and my guitars get to show off what they can do while I listen. And then I get invited back! (I totally know it's because of the guitars, and I'm OK with that!)

Congratulations on this beauty! I look forward to hearing the beautiful music you'll make with this gorgeous guitar in your hands!

beth
Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM

What a wonderful post Beth, so very well said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop