The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-24-2011, 01:50 AM

Default TASCAM DP-008 8-Track Digital Portastudio... vs. some other option?

I've been doing some recording (guitar, flute, violin, voice/singing, etc) using a Rode large condenser mic and a Rode small condenser mic plugged into a Presonus Firebox, which I hook up to a Mac laptop where I am using GarageBand to capture the recordings. This has resulted in some reasonably decent recordings, but (1) it is a hassle dealing with the laptop and software every time we want to record (and this is inhibiting recording a bit) and (2) our laptop's fan tends to kick in and makes noise that messes up the recorded sound.

I'm considering getting a stand-alone recording unit that we can use either on its own (using its own built in mics) or more usually by plugging in our two condenser mics (one of which requires phantom power).

In another thread ( http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=233816 ) the TASCAM DP-008 8-Track Digital Portastudio has been discussed recently.

I have a few questions:

1. Are there other similar devices that I should also be considering?

2. I realize that this is not top of the line recording equipment, but I'd like to try to get as close to pro quality sound as possible within some price constraints. Are there other devices in a similar price range that would give better sound quality?

3. How is sound quality with the Tascam (when using external mics)? Is there background hiss (assuming the mics are quiet in this regard)?

4. How is the sound quality using the built-in mics? How does this compare to something like a Zoom?

5. How easy is it to put the sound files onto a computer to work with them in, say, Garageband or Logic Express? (oops... I see you can hook up a USB cable, so maybe this is easy)

6. Also, I'm assuming you can listen (with headphones) to previously recorded tracks as you record additional tracks (to synchronize your playing with what you played and recorded before). Is this correct?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM

It is my opinion that portable digital recorders like the Tascam, and comparable Zoom and Boss (Roland) models produce excellent results and are very simple to use. I use a Boss BR864 which is now obsolete, but is very similar to the Tascam DP-008 in terms of function and capability.

There is no audible hiss and transferring files to a computer is a snap via a USB connection...same process as you would use for a digital camera or I-pod-type of device. I bounce tracks, mix and master right on the Boss with decent results. All of the tracks presented at the links in my signature were recorded on a Boss BR864 using a Rode NT1A and a couple of EV767nd dynamic mics. Bass, keyboards and electric guitars are plugged directly into the Boss using a variety of amp simulators available on the recorder.

I do not use the internal mics because the room I record in just doesn't sound very good, but I have heard some decent recordings done with the small Zoom recorders (Hn4). I only record using close mic'ing or direct plug in!

As for choices, all the multi-track devices I have used and heard are very similar. Quality of sound seems to be more dependent on the room acoustics, your instruments and mic'ing technique. My recommendation is to go for it and have fun!!

edit: I think all of the multi-track digital recorders have headphone outputs and there are no latency issues, which makes multi-tracking especially easy for me.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 11-24-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM

My duo partner bought a Zoom R24 and it works great. The also make the R8 and R16 for less money. Works great.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 PM

My recorder of choice is the Tascam 2488 NEO. It has 8 tracks that can be recorded simultaneously and the ability to transport and record up to 24 tracks.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 PM

How is the sound quality with these various options? Please comment on any that you have experience with.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
It is my opinion that portable digital recorders like the Tascam, and comparable Zoom and Boss (Roland) models produce excellent results and are very simple to use. I use a Boss BR864 which is now obsolete, but is very similar to the Tascam DP-008 in terms of function and capability.

There is no audible hiss and transferring files to a computer is a snap via a USB connection...same process as you would use for a digital camera or I-pod-type of device. I bounce tracks, mix and master right on the Boss with decent results. All of the tracks presented at the links in my signature were recorded on a Boss BR864 using a Rode NT1A and a couple of EV767nd dynamic mics. Bass, keyboards and electric guitars are plugged directly into the Boss using a variety of amp simulators available on the recorder.

I do not use the internal mics because the room I record in just doesn't sound very good, but I have heard some decent recordings done with the small Zoom recorders (Hn4). I only record using close mic'ing or direct plug in!

As for choices, all the multi-track devices I have used and heard are very similar. Quality of sound seems to be more dependent on the room acoustics, your instruments and mic'ing technique. My recommendation is to go for it and have fun!!

edit: I think all of the multi-track digital recorders have headphone outputs and there are no latency issues, which makes multi-tracking especially easy for me.
Bob1131,

I just listened to some of your recordings. Very nice. Good sound quality, and nice music! You have a really good sound.

Which microphone(s) do you usually use for vocals? Or more particularly, how has the Rode NT1-A worked out for vocals, and in general, what have you found the best uses of that microphone to be? The reason I ask is that one of our microphones is a Rode NT1-A.

Regarding my original question: In looking over the options I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Zoom R24 - can record 8 tracks simultaneously, and 6 of those have phantom power.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Bob1131,

I just listened to some of your recordings. Very nice. Good sound quality, and nice music! You have a really good sound.

Which microphone(s) do you usually use for vocals? Or more particularly, how has the Rode NT1-A worked out for vocals, and in general, what have you found the best uses of that microphone to be? The reason I ask is that one of our microphones is a Rode NT1-A.

Regarding my original question: In looking over the options I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Zoom R24 - can record 8 tracks simultaneously, and 6 of those have phantom power.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind comments regarding my recordings. I use the NT1-A for all of my vocals and sometimes for an acoustic guitar track. Mic's are like guitars though, in that, you must try a bunch to find the one that suits you best. Some folks don't like the NT1-A, but I find that it is very smooth and transparent. It also has the lowest self noise of any mic on the market today.

I generally mic my acoustic guitars in stereo with a pair of EV767n/d mics. I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on gear, so I bought the EVs for double duty. They have a super cardioid pattern, so they reject off axis sound very well which helps reduce noise in my recordings and minimizes feedback during live performances. The EVs are also designed to minimize booming from close use (proximity effect), so I can use them closer to reduce input gain that can cause hiss and white noise in recording.

The R24 should do the job nicely for you. For a few dollars more, you might consider the Tascam 2488Neo which has more bells and whistles, but isn't as portable as other stand alone units. Of course, it will be much more complicated to operate, too, but if you want the extra features it is well worth the money!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD