The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Official Pro Tools HD Native is out.

It's official Pro Tools HD Native is available . It will be more expensive than many had hoped but appears less than a new full blown HD TDM system. Looks to be about $ 5500 or so for the HD native card and say an HD Omni interface .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM

As a long, long, long time Pro Tools user and a ""Mix" and "HD" owner since 1999 I'd say that's just simply insane.

I have an iMac and Logic rig that runs circles around my G5 HD rig. I'll admit I still LOVE PT software and all things being equal I'd still probably choose PT over Logic but...$5500.00 plus a PCIe slotted Mac Pro still put's that "budget" solution near 10 grand.

I could get a new i7 and Logic for well under $3000.00 and never run short of processing.

Weird move on Digi's behalf
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yes, weird, expensive move. However, they've put off covering all the latency and mix collapsing issues for years because they knew it would require a complete hardware overhaul that would alienate the base constituency. Here it is and it is as off-putting as they and we always knew it would be. And it isn't as if they don't have a history of it. Their predecessor, Avid Audio station, was initially on Mac then abruptly announced that the hardware package was dead-ended and they moved to PC. A year later Pro Tools bought out them and dead-ended both platforms. That's when we bailed to first Fairlight (bankrupted and dead-ended, though they came back, with a new platform) and then Nuendo. We started with Nuendo on PC and moved over to Mac last year. We are HD in Nuendo 5 right now without hardware upgrades (knock on wood, crossed fingers).

But I've been at this too long to get overly brand-loyal. It's too pointless and costly. Use whatever it takes to survive.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-09-2010, 06:41 AM

>> A year later Pro Tools bought out them and dead-ended both platforms.

Ty Ford: Huh? Revisionist history? Read more here: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

>> But I've been at this too long to get overly brand-loyal. It's too pointless and costly. Use whatever it takes to survive.

Agreed.

From Digidesign - "Create bigger sessions with up to 192 audio tracks and up to 64 channels of I/O using a single PCIe card."

Does anyone really need 192 tracks?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; 10-09-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Yes It will be interesting so see how well this goes over and actually sells.

However If I am not mistaken it will run on PC with windows also with the HD Native card installed.

Also just to clarify The $ 5.500 to 6000 street price I mentioned is including a DiGi I/O and converter like OMNI. However the HD Native card itself will be some $3,000 to 3,500 street price, and the are other platforms like Apogee and Lynx. that will work

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
[Joseph Hanna;2369525]

I could get a new i7 and Logic for well under $3000.00
That's fine except that is not a valid apples to apples comparison.In that represents none of I/O s or converters you would be getting with a Digi HD native card and I/O like the HD Omni which has 2 high end mic pres and 8 channels of analog I/O at about $5500

For example below is a more accurate price point comparison.

Average Street prices:

Logic - $500
Symphony 64 - $995
Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000
TOTAL - $7200

VS

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native Core
+ HD Analog 16 I/O Bundle
TOTAL - $7995

Last edited by KevWind; 10-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
>> A year later Pro Tools bought out them and dead-ended both platforms.

Ty Ford: Huh? Revisionist history? Read more here: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

Ty Ford
Okay they merged, but Avid's Media Composer, the system we had, was dropped, dead-ending the entire line. We were offered the opportunity to start again with a new investment in both hardware and software and Pro Tools and declined. Better?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Bob,

Yes, better. The Devil is in the details.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD