The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 AM

Default Questions about monitoring

Two questions.

One: Is it really helpful to have a headphone designated for monitoring.

Two: Is it a bad idea to use expensive audiophile headphones to monitor.

My second question is more in concern for the headphone. In proper use and volume is there any reason that using a headphone as a monitor will wear it down harder? Cause I'd like to use my GRADO's SR225i forever (listening to music that is).

Just curious of what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Never ask an old recording engineer for advice. He will alway cloak his response in "it depends."

1. A lot can be said for familiarity. You can do much better with monitors that are familiar and through which you've heard lots of music, than with an unfamiliar pair.
2. The philosophy of monitors is significantly different from the philosophy of high-end audiophile gear. Monitors are designed to make you mix well and to protect your ears from undesirable effects from long exposure to sound. High-end audiophile speakers are designed to be euphonic (sound good) and accurate. You can see the difference. Does it make a difference? That's a hotly contested question. When played on other equipment, is the tonal balance of your recordings what you desire? If not, question your monitors or learn your monitors.
3. Do you spend a long time under the headphones? Are you familiar with a fatigue-induced phenomenon called "ice-pick ear," where your ears become tired and things feel shrill? That's what one of the things good monitor headphones are designed to minimize.

Speakers are designed to make sound, not to love and fondle. Consider their use a "cost of doing business."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Personally I use headphones. I think Grados are great and lately have been using that very model, Grado SR225i. It works for me on solo guitar at least. I would not rely on headphones for mulit-instrument mixes as the sense of space is so different from speakers. That problem also applies to a degree with reverb. I use very little reverb on my music however.

Also I can take advantage of listening via headphones to other professionally recorded guitar music that I like the sound of and use that for comparisons to what I am recording.

One thing to keep in mind is to monitor at a moderate sound level, neither too loud or two soft. That also saves your hearing for the future.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM

Interesting.

Apparently Grado's are low fatigue headphones, or they claim to be, and so reduce the damage done if used in reasonable volumes. I've noticed a very very dramatic difference in listening fatigue switching from Bose headphones. I listen at reasonable volumes, with music, as a monitor, sometimes it's hard to tell how loud it is, cause your singing in full force at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM

I think Grados are all open headphones? That could be a problem if you're recording another vocal / acoustic part with a mic.

You can sometimes get away with that because background noise will actually be hidden by the real tracks at playback - it's exactly the same only quieter. The problem comes when you edit a percussion track, or decide you don't want drums at all on this section: now you'll hear all the old peaks in the background on the mic track.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think Grados are all open headphones? That could be a problem if you're recording another vocal / acoustic part with a mic.

You can sometimes get away with that because background noise will actually be hidden by the real tracks at playback - it's exactly the same only quieter. The problem comes when you edit a percussion track, or decide you don't want drums at all on this section: now you'll hear all the old peaks in the background on the mic track.
True. I use them to set up and listen back but avoid them or use very carefully during recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Be Prepared MattChen

Aloha MattChen,

You need accurate, comfortable headphones. You need very good near-field monitors. That's basic to the recording process.

Just go to a store - after doing the research - & try out the ones you're interested in. Let your ears decide. Not very complicated.

I agree that open headphones, like all the Grados, although more comfortable, are not for ALL applications. I believe that you need enclosed phones at some stages of mixing - especially for vocals where the space around the notes can reveal sounds only heard on enclosed..

I use the comfortable AKG 240mkII's or Audio Technica ATH-50's for enclosed. (I find I need at least two that work because sometimes I break the cables by tripping over them - a common affliction. It's smart to have a backup, even if you're an amateur like I am. Headphones take a beating.

But if you are a beginner, just go with your Grado's & save up for some good monitors or buy used. That's your formula, Matt. Trust YOUR ears, but be kind to them as well - w/ monitors!

Good Luck

alohachris
Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Ok, thanks for the insights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD