The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default NBD - Gold Tone CC-OT Banjo

Well, I got a bee in my bonnet to learn a little old timey clawhammer banjo. I did some looking around and ordered this Gold Tone CC-OT kit from Pro-Audio Star for a very good price. It was supposed to be one of the ones with guitar tuners, but showed up with planetaries, which makes it an even better deal.

First impressions are good, feels solid and has a chunky neck. So many inexpensive instruments just feel like toys.

Other first impressions are that I really have no idea about banjos, so that'll be interesting. I've messed around with a bit of Scruggs style, but this will be a whole new world.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Nice--Enjoy! Please keep us informed as you play your new Gold Tone CC-OT more.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-27-2023, 03:32 PM

I learned a little banjo by listening to Little Maggie by Sandy Bull. (Well, I could follow along up until he really got going, then forget it!) For the "intermediate" steps, I think he picks then drags a finger back over the strings, then hits the 5th string. At any rate and in any case, congrats and enjoy that banjo!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-29-2023, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I learned a little banjo by listening to Little Maggie by Sandy Bull. (Well, I could follow along up until he really got going, then forget it!) For the "intermediate" steps, I think he picks then drags a finger back over the strings, then hits the 5th string. At any rate and in any case, congrats and enjoy that banjo!

Thank you for posting this. It has been 55-60 years since I heard it. I think most of his playing for this is frailing/clawhammer style with some drop/double thumbing. Probably in G-modal/Sawmill tuning gDGCD.

A good source of instruction in both clawhammer and 3-finger/Scruggs styles is Josh Turnkett's Brainjo website. He has a few web sites, but this one should do the trick.
https://www.brainjo.academy

Gold Tone banjo's are generally good values. I like their necks. I have one of their cello banjos, used to own one of their long-neck white lady banjos, and have 4 of their necks, 2 on parts banjos, and 2 more waiting to get built up as new banjos when I get the round-to-it that is currently missing. Sold another parts banjo with a GT neck last year.

Banjo Hangout is a spectacular resource for anything banjo. I don't post much there these days, but you can check out my user's page under Pine Cone.

The Facebook groups "Clawhammer Rules" and "Dedicated to Old Time Music" are where lots of posts are being made these days.

My friend Pat Lyons aka banjukebox posts on Banjo Hangout, Clawhammer Rules, and YouTube. He is a great resource as is Janet Burton who is active on the same websites.

Rocket Science Banjo is another great source for clawhammer instruction, but you better download things from it soon since the original author died and the current web host doesn't want to host it for much longer.

Last edited by Pine Cone; 03-29-2023 at 09:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments