The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Default What Is Delay Effect Used For

Title says it all.

I've owned a few Fender amps and they all had Delay as an effect though I've never known how to use it. I've messed with it and it can be kinda cool but what are they actually built for.??
Old 09-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Listen to most of the guitar work from U2's Joshua Tree album or Pink Floyd's song 'Run Like He**'. Delay gives you that echoing, fading sound on notes and chords, and as part of a lead guitar distorted sound can give you a thickening of the sound as the repeats stack up on top of the original note.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Title says it all.

I've owned a few Fender amps and they all had Delay as an effect though I've never known how to use it. I've messed with it and it can be kinda cool but what are they actually built for.??

Don't know anything about Fender Amps and their delay offering.

But , in general
They like all effects are used for getting a different sound. Depending on setting, anything from a slight thickening of the sound to an actual repeat echo.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a Fender tube amp with inbuilt delay.

That aside, a short delay setting (slap back echo) per the rockabilly guys is how I mostly like it.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 PM

It is the one effect that is worth having. It is often used to make a guitar solo sound bigger. Set it the time equivalent to a quarter or eight note and your in business. You won't hear it necessarily... but is very often there in recordings. I always used it live too... nearly every solo... only noticeable to most if the rest of the band stopped playing.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-03-2017, 10:45 AM

as j3ffr0 said, it is a very worthwhile sound for electric guitar. you've heard it often but didn't recognize it as such.

as with all amps, whether they have effects or not, the main method is to twist the knobs until you like it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM

Well, NOBODY answered the OP's question.

From Wikipedia (which the OP could have looked up himself):

"Delay is an audio effect and an effects unit which records an input signal to an audio storage medium, and then plays it back after a period of time. The delayed signal may either be played back multiple times, or played back into the recording again, to create the sound of a repeating, decaying echo. Delay effects range from a subtle echo effect to a pronounced blending of previous sounds with new sounds. Delay effects can be created using tape loops, an approach developed in the 1940s and 1950s; analog effects units, which were introduced in the 1970s; digital effects pedals, introduced in 1984; and audio software plugins, developed in the 2000s."
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM

Oh wow. I learned something today.!! Great replies and it makes total sense to me. It fattens the note. So use it in very subtle ways to achieve this. Very cool. Can't wait to try it.

Steel and Wood... I've never owned a Fender tube amp. My current amp is a Fender Champion 40. It has a wide range of effects built-in that can be selected. And, it has a knob that controls the level of that effect. And, it has a switch which controls the "tempo" of the selected effect. Fantastic amp for 200 bucks.

Sorry Jerry D but the previous 6 replies made more sense to me than our wiki post.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 AM

Just listen to Scotty Moore, James Burton, Darrel Higham, Cliff Gallup, Brian Setzer and Rev. Horton Heat for starters.

Best effect of all by a mile!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Listen to most of the guitar work from U2's Joshua Tree album or Pink Floyd's song 'Run Like He**'. Delay gives you that echoing, fading sound on notes and chords, and as part of a lead guitar distorted sound can give you a thickening of the sound as the repeats stack up on top of the original note.
+1.

3notes, have someone point out to you what are the notes played in Run Like x and which ones are repeated and you'll get a great understanding of one of the uses for a delay.

I recommend getting a good clean setting, set the delay at some level (i.e. half second) and play some arpeggios.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1.

3notes, have someone point out to you what are the notes played in Run Like x and which ones are repeated and you'll get a great understanding of one of the uses for a delay.

I recommend getting a good clean setting, set the delay at some level (i.e. half second) and play some arpeggios.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Howdy people.

I just had an awakening. Played using the delay in a tight sequence for the first time. I've never heard that sort of power pushing out of the amp. THAT is no doubt the most effective effect that I've ever heard. I am amazed. On the FX knob(at about 3) I used reverb combined with delay and the volume was astounding. Freaking amazing.

So glad I asked "how is the delay effect used.??"

Now THAT is a banjo killer.!!

Unbelievable. I'm blown away...

Last edited by 3notes; 09-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Howdy people.

I just had an awakening. Played using the delay in a tight sequence for the first time. I've never heard that sort of power pushing out of the amp. THAT is no doubt the most effective effect that I've ever heard. I am amazed. On the FX knob(at about 3) I used reverb combined with delay and the volume was astounding. Freaking amazing.

So glad I asked "how is the delay effect used.??"

Now THAT is a banjo killer.!!

Unbelievable. I'm blown away...
Delay and Reverb can do some amazing things.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Oh wow. I learned something today.!! Great replies and it makes total sense to me. It fattens the note. So use it in very subtle ways to achieve this. Very cool. Can't wait to try it.

Steel and Wood... I've never owned a Fender tube amp. My current amp is a Fender Champion 40. It has a wide range of effects built-in that can be selected. And, it has a knob that controls the level of that effect. And, it has a switch which controls the "tempo" of the selected effect. Fantastic amp for 200 bucks.

Sorry Jerry D but the previous 6 replies made more sense to me than our wiki post.

Thanks for all the replies.
Apologies,

Fender solid state amps will usually have multiple inbuilt effects like delay. (Took for granted that you were talking tube amps).
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Like clintj said to me the first thing I think of when delay is used as a broad effect is U2 or Pink Floyd. That's taking delay as far as it can go. A lot of people will use it to simply enhance a tight room and open it up just a little bit. On the other end of the spectrum is the big ambient infinite delays.

You just got to keep playing with it till you find what you like. I use two Boss DD2 pedals. One set up for slap back and the other for a longer ambient delay. I also have a DL4 but i don't use it in my rig. It's a great delay to play around with though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars