The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson J-45 Versus Martin D-18 Cutaways

New Comparison! Gibson J-45 Cutaway (2019) Versus Martin D-18 (2018) Cutaways

I made an A-B demo comparison of the two Mahogany Acoustic dreads I own that are most similar. Yes I know the J-45 is a slope shoulder and it is braced for light gauge strings and it has a short scale. So although the J-45 Cutaway is different than Martin DC-18, they are the two guitars in my little collection that are dreads, cutaway and Mahogany/Sitka.

When I gig the Gibson J-45 amplified, I sometimes feel it lacks a little immediacy and punch. Then I swap over to the DC-18 and prefer the Martin. Maybe its the long scale and medium gauge strings on the DC-18 that feel more like home?

I am more used to the Martin, the scale length, neck shape, 1 3/4" Nut width and basically the "Martin voice". This is my first Gibson acoustic. So I need to give it time.

I enjoy the J-45 like crazy acoustically at home and even amplified in intimate settings. It is more woody and organic and it really is sensational.

When I listened back to this demo I just made, I say to myself; "DUDE!! The J-45 is a GREAT guitar!!" But the Martin DC-18E is my first grab. I even installed a Baggs Anthem in the Gibson J-45. So the PU's are the same in both guitars.

The strings on the J-45 are Santa Cruz Mid Tension. They are reasonably fresh and don't have much playing time on them. Maybe a couple sets worth? They also last a long time. I like them a lot. The Strings on the Martin DC-18 are Martin Lifespan Med gauge PB's. .013 - .056 (They are the original version, not the new Authentic version just released).

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Yes I know the J-45 is a slope shoulder and it is braced for light gauge strings and it has a short scale.
You lost me at "braced for light gauge strings." With its shorter scale, the J-45 handles .013s with ease, and that would be the only gauge I'd use, especially if I was looking for more "immediacy and punch."
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

He’s not wrong, except for maybe one word choice. Many Gibsons are optimized for Light gauge strings. Of course you can use Mediums too but they tend to choke the tops on some of them. Depends on the individual example you have. Personally, I have yet to try a Gibson that sounded better (to me) strung with Mediums over Lights.

J-45 with Mediums: Thuuunk!

J-45 with Lights: Chaaaaaaaaaang!!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-11-2018, 06:33 AM

I've tried quite a number of strings on my J-45 and the John Pearse PB bluegrass lights sound as good (to me) as any I have tried. The extra guage on the bottom strings gives it an added growl that sounds terrific.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
He’s not wrong, except for maybe one word choice. Many Gibsons are optimized for Light gauge strings. Of course you can use Mediums too but they tend to choke the tops on some of them. Depends on the individual example you have. Personally, I have yet to try a Gibson that sounded better (to me) strung with Mediums over Lights.

J-45 with Mediums: Thuuunk!

J-45 with Lights: Chaaaaaaaaaang!!
Thanks Brendan. Your post captured the essence of that point. I’m not saying I can’t use mediums on the J-45. One of the thing that is nice is the lighter tension. And I agree the guitar sounds best with light gauge strings as originally intended. “Optimized” is the perfect word.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
And I agree the guitar sounds best with light gauge strings as originally intended. “Optimized” is the perfect word.

My J-45 had an adi top, so maybe it took the heavier strings better than one with standard sitka, but I still maintain that if you want more punch, try mediums tuned a half-step down.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Gary for sharing yet another lovely video of your sweet guitars and excellent playing! I think both guitars had tonal qualities I liked, however, I preferred the definition, presence and depth of the Martin. The Gibson had a nice roundness to it in the mids, yet too much on the low E to where it's verges on the thuddiness; mediums would make that aspect worse. Tone nitpicking aside, I could jam on either all day and have a blast; plus they are both beautiful to stare at!!

brotato chip
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Thank you Gary for sharing yet another lovely video of your sweet guitars and excellent playing! I think both guitars had tonal qualities I liked, however, I preferred the definition, presence and depth of the Martin. The Gibson had a nice roundness to it in the mids, yet too much on the low E to where it's verges on the thuddiness; mediums would make that aspect worse. Tone nitpicking aside, I could jam on either all day and have a blast; plus they are both beautiful to stare at!!

brotato chip
Thanks Eric. When I did the first switch in the video from the Gibson to the Martin DC-18, I immediately felt 'home' on the Martin. The neck, spacing, long scale, ...it just feels 'right' and definitely gives a feeling that works great for me. But when I switch to the Gibby, I love it too. Yet plugged in, the Martin is first call every single time.

A friend commented I should strum more to showcase what the Gibson does so well and is known for. But the thing is; I am not a classic strummer. I tend to cross pick and play solo's more than anything. I do some strumming, but the Martin so far excels for what I do on my 'gigs'. The Gibson however does have a woody/organic presentation that is quite classic and nice.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM

When I was listenting to that J-45 I kept thinking, something is not quite right with that guitar ? It sounded too thuddy and too much bottom end for a J-45. It was missing that honky tonk lightness thats associated with J-45's.

Then I realised you used mids. In my view, thats a way to make the tone compromised. I own an SJ and tried it both with lights and mids and found the tone is significantly stronger with mids. The guitar is open, bluesey, very honky tonk, and open.

So, to me its hard to evaluate this sound sample as I feel its not the real tone of the J-45. Would love to hear the same comparisement on both guitars with lights. (I also feel the D-18 would benefit from light strings that mids, it also souned a bit choked, just like the J-45)
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
When I was listenting to that J-45 I kept thinking, something is not quite right with that guitar ? It sounded too thuddy and too much bottom end for a J-45. It was missing that honky tonk lightness thats associated with J-45's.

Then I realised you used mids. In my view, thats a way to make the tone compromised. I own an SJ and tried it both with lights and mids and found the tone is significantly stronger with mids. The guitar is open, bluesey, very honky tonk, and open.

So, to me its hard to evaluate this sound sample as I feel its not the real tone of the J-45. Would love to hear the same comparisement on both guitars with lights. (I also feel the D-18 would benefit from light strings that mids, it also souned a bit choked, just like the J-45)
Greatly appreciate your insight thank you. I'll try some light gauge on the Gibson. In all fairness, the Santa Crud Mid tension strings are actually gauged liked light gauge strings. The name is a bit misleading. I have some John Pearse Lights I'll try on the Gibson next.

The Martin however, I like the Mediums on it. But maybe I should try some light gauge strings at least once. Good idea. Thank you!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-12-2018, 01:12 PM

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 12's are my favorite on my 2016 J45 Standard
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Anybody's light nickels on my J-45.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

I would agree with this.
Recently, I have had Masterbuilt 80-20 Lights and currently Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Lights on my J45. I know it's not really a realistic way to compare, but my J45 sounds nothing like yours and I hate to say it but in a better way.
Please, nothing personal intended, JMHO.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 12-12-2018 at 03:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion