The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 PM

This is my spruce walnut GS mini, nothing really special. I played 5 they had in stock and liked the sound of this one the best. I wanted a mahogany but this one spoke to me, maybe I'll pick up a mahogany down the road. I have some ebony bridge pins on order with the abalone dots. I will make a truss rod cover for it out of some exotic wood, not sure yet.

I did "make this mine" by refinishing the back and sides. To be honest the back of every walnut GS mini I have looked at left me.......uninspired to say the least. Dull with a gray hue, nothing like some of the solid walnut instruments I own. The old sapelle models looked much better with a golden hue and some visual depth. I have a woodworking background so I sanded down the finish on the sides and back to almost bare wood. I then applied 6 coats of Watco Danish Oil in dark walnut tint. I have used this product a lot, one super thin coat let dry for almost one week then repeat. If it was raw wood you can reapply after 24 hours. It made the grain pop, gave it some depth and has a nice semi gloss oil finish appearance. Sorry about the side ways pictures, I used tapatalk and guess I need to take them landscape mode. Don't know how to fix this

Old 12-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I knew I wasn't crazy. Last time I brought this up people jumped on me saying my instrument was messed up. Brought it into Bashkin and it was fine, we both chalked it up to the short scale.

I can't find a worthy replacement for the GS Mini. Parlor size guitars are too small width/lower bout wise for me to be comfortable. The GS Mini is just the perfect size for me.

I definitely could increase the scale length a bit, but I'd want basically the same body, 14-fretter, 1-11/16" nut, and satin finish. I cannot find anything that fits this spec sheet.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
This is my spruce walnut GS mini, nothing really special. I played 5 they had in stock and liked the sound of this one the best. I wanted a mahogany but this one spoke to me, maybe I'll pick up a mahogany down the road. I have some ebony bridge pins on order with the abalone dots. I will make a truss rod cover for it out of some exotic wood, not sure yet.

I did "make this mine" by refinishing the back and sides. To be honest the back of every walnut GS mini I have looked at left me.......uninspired to say the least. Dull with a gray hue, nothing like some of the solid walnut instruments I own. The old sapelle models looked much better with a golden hue and some visual depth. I have a woodworking background so I sanded down the finish on the sides and back to almost bare wood. I then applied 6 coats of Watco Danish Oil in dark walnut tint. I have used this product a lot, one super thin coat let dry for almost one week then repeat. If it was raw wood you can reapply after 24 hours. It made the grain pop, gave it some depth and has a nice semi gloss oil finish appearance. Sorry about the side ways pictures, I used tapatalk and guess I need to take them landscape mode. Don't know how to fix this

Good-looking Gs Mini walnut...with a personal touch!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM

Just wondering, if anyone would own/collect ALL gs minis?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtohz View Post
Just wondering, if anyone would own/collect ALL gs minis?

Unlikely...though not impossible because there are too many varieties of the layered b/s.

But I know of someone who owns both Spruce & Sepele Martin Dreadnought Juniors!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 PM

My GSM is one of 3 guitars I gig with. I've been using it a lot this Xmas season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamplight 2018.jpg (134.8 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Shenandoahs at TC Museum 2018.jpg (125.7 KB, 331 views)
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 AM

Default GS Mini Owners’ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
My GSM is one of 3 guitars I gig with. I've been using it a lot this Xmas season.

Nice pictures!

Reviving this thread so that all you GS Mini owners can post pictures of your Mini’s....

If you wish to...of course...
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 12-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 PM

I’d love to join this club, as I am the proud owner of a GS Mini hog,
but I still do not know how to post photos on this forum..
Old 12-24-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I’d love to join this club, as I am the proud owner of a GS Mini hog,

but I still do not know how to post photos on this forum..

Hi AE. Post 64 in this thread teaches you how to post pictures here...
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Sorry about the side ways pictures, I used tapatalk and guess I need to take them landscape mode. Don't know how to fix this
Hi, Dave! Have you tried acoustic guitar forum own app? It is better than tapatalk to me.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas morning, guys! Looks like several people are still having trouble posting pictures. You can check out this thread... there are three ways to post pics here depending on your membership level and where the pictures are stored.

Charter members are allowed to post directly from their computers... you may use a third-party host... or the Tapatalk/AGF apps.

I agree with ZZ's advice above, but only for charter members. As the linked thread explains, Tapatalk changed the structure the AGF app is based on so that the app now posts pics only for charter members. The Tapatalk app still posts pictures here for everyone.

Tapatalk has had the issue of rotated pictures for years, but they advertise having fixed that problem a while back. Prior to that fix, you could rotate your pictures correctly by going in and cropping even the slightest amount and the pic would show upright. You can also take them in the landscape mode, put you have to rotate your phone counter-clockwise so the lens is to your left. If the lens is to your right, they will show upside-down.

I like the AGF app better because the color schemes are easier on my eyes, but it now posts pics only for charter members. Hope that helps... PM me if you have more trouble.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Hi I don't have pics to post as I'm travelling (too humid and salty for even my mini here imo)
But a question - for those with both, can you discuss the es2 vs the es-b sound? Is it just the less detailed EQ via the one vs 2 tone knobs, or are there more ways in which the es2 is better? Do you feel the es-b is acceptable for minor gigging with a group?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Just returned to the GS Mini world.

Over the years we’ve had about every GS Mini produced including a GS Mini Holden Village. Sadly all were sold over time.

We decided to get back on the bandwagon today with a brand new Spruce/Walnut. Great to have one back in the stable!
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 12-27-2018, 02:08 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcg View Post
Over the years we’ve had about every GS Mini produced including a GS Mini Holden Village. Sadly all were sold over time.

We decided to get back on the bandwagon today with a brand new Spruce/Walnut. Great to have one back in the stable!
Welcome back to the bandwagon!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 PM

A Koa gs mini owned by a friend of mine. He’s not in AGF so I’ll post on his behalf. It’s about 3 years old. He brought it to Israel sometime back while on holidays. I just love Koa with the white sap in the middle!

Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion