The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default 1st time I didn't like a set of Martin strings

I put a set of Martin Msp3100 80/20 Bronze (12 16 25 32 42 54) on my Avalon back on 11/27/18. Just not for this guitar. I'm waiting on a set of Pierre Bensusan DADGAD strings from Wyress. It's funny how some strings just don't go with certain guitars. I love Martin strings on my other guitars though.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 PM

I have the 3100s on my FG800 right now. I like 'em. Been on for 3 months. I'm not a heavy player and my strings tend to last. Took a little while for them to play in, but to me they sound good. I've tried other Martin strings as well and I too am a fan.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I usually like D'Adario strings the best. However, I'm finding that each guitar will have it's own best string;

Sigma OM-21......DR Sunbeams

Road Series gprsg......any 80/20, but I want to try Retro's

Martin OM-18.....haven't figured it out yet, but it loves old strings. Trying
Retro's next.

Dread Jr........Retro's in Lights seemed great, tried 80/20 medium and loved the sound but they were too stiff, put on Retro's and now don't like them, trying 80/20 lights next.

Anyway, it's fun trying new strings. When I go to the store to try guitars, I pick up one or two sets and then I have new strings to try.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I put a set of Martin Msp3100 80/20 Bronze (12 16 25 32 42 54) on my Avalon back on 11/27/18. Just not for this guitar. I'm waiting on a set of Pierre Bensusan DADGAD strings from Wyress. It's funny how some strings just don't go with certain guitars. I love Martin strings on my other guitars though.
Have you tried Newtone Masterclass strings (80/20 or PB, your choice of flavour)? I've recently gone back to their 12-54 PBs on my Lowden after a long-ish period on Elixir Nano PBs, and it's like an old friend has come home to me.

Your Avalon isn't a million miles from a Lowden, why not give them a try (you'll have to order direct from Newtone, and be prepared for a couple of weeks' wait).

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...stic-6-string/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:22 AM

I like the Newtones Heritage strings, I ordered a few sets of their custom acoustic strings on Nov 19th, I'm still waiting on them to even be shipped. I believe guitargal is the only place in the states that suppose to have them, although they have been out the last few times I checked. So if you ever want to try Newtones just be prepared for a long wait if you're in the states.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Martkm 80/20 is what i mostly use.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM

Ive tried several Martin sets and not liked any of them. Perhaps it is as you say, not for my guitar.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hi TB

Yup - we do become fond of strange ideas - like which strings are best. I'm glad to live in a day-n-age with choices. When I started playing guitar, the store had one brand (black diamond) and three choices…electric strings, acoustic strings, and classical strings.

No weights, no formulas (bronze, nickel, phosphor bronze). Just strings…amazing we could even make music back-in-the-day huh?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I'll experiment, but D'Add and GHS are my go-to string brands.

But lately, my lineup has been more of a variety:
Rosewood dreads = D'Add EJ16
Mahogany dreads = DR Rare Light
OM/000 = GHS PB Light (one has DR Sunbeams on it)
Travel = Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Med/Lt.

Back to the OP, I recently tried Martin Retro on one of my Mahogany dreads, and I just can't do it, despite their popularity here. They had nice volume and sustain, but I lost too much warmth in the tone.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieb View Post
I like the Newtones Heritage strings, I ordered a few sets of their custom acoustic strings on Nov 19th, I'm still waiting on them to even be shipped. I believe guitargal is the only place in the states that suppose to have them, although they have been out the last few times I checked. So if you ever want to try Newtones just be prepared for a long wait if you're in the states.
You can buy them off Newtone's Web site direct.
Takes about a week or so and $3 shipping from merry old England to my home in Ohio.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi TB

Yup - we do become fond of strange ideas - like which strings are best. I'm glad to live in a day-n-age with choices. When I started playing guitar, the store had one brand (black diamond) and three choices…electric strings, acoustic strings, and classical strings.

No weights, no formulas (bronze, nickel, phosphor bronze). Just strings…amazing we could even make music back-in-the-day huh?

I know Larry, and we had to ride on the backs of dinosaurs in a blizzard to buy them too!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion