The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Any Good Buys Here?

As you know my son (11 yo) and I (50 yo) are looking to learn how to play guitar this summer when we are both off from school (I'm a teacher).

I was looking to get us both an acoustic (he prefers acoustic because it's a more natural sound and it's cooler than an electric) so we could learn together on the same type of guitar.

However, someone in one of my threads, where I asked if newbie 50+ year old players started out with an acoustic or an electric, said to get both acoustic and electric. Now I think he may have been talking about me eventually getting both for myself, but it made me think that it might be cool if I got an electric guitar for me and the acoustic guitar for him.

We could switch back and forth, learn both, decide which one we truly like the best, maybe add a some variety to our learning, etc.

So I started looking for a decent used electric for me and found a few after just a short look at GC...would love to know if you think any of these might be a good buy for a newbie guitar player without much money to spend.

Also, does anyone know if GC charges if you ship a used guitar from one of their stores to another one of their stores? I would definitely want to open it in front of them in case the condition wasn't as described or if shipping damage occurred...and if they do charge for shipping then some of these may be as cheap new. edit: Another reason I'd like to have it shipped to the store is that I'd like for them to check the set up on it.

Here are several of the ones I've found:

- Squier Bullet Stratocaster HSS solid body black and silver $80 great condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sq...r-114285517.gc

- Squier Bullet Stratocaster HSS solid body black and white $88 great https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sq...r-114222722.gc

- Yamaha Pacifica HSS solid body black and white $100 excellent condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...r-114177055.gc

- Ibanez GRX20Z HH solid body black $100 excellent condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ib...tric-Guitar.gc

- Squier Affinity Stratocaster HSS solid body blue $120 excellent condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sq...r-114299681.gc

- Yamaha Pacifica HSS solid body electric blue $120 great condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...tric-Guitar.gc

- Yamaha Pacifica HSS solid body black and white $120 great condition https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...r-114300473.gc

So, is there one (or more than one) of those that are a pretty good deal for the money and would offer me something decent to learn on? If so, which one(s) would you recommend? Really like the variety of the HSS set up but am open to anything.

I appreciate any help and advice you can give me!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 05-28-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:39 AM

I have had used guitars shipped directly to my home from Guitar Center for free, and on one occasion I returned the guitar to my local store because I did not like the tone, and they refunded 100% of my money, including shipping. So I think you can return for ANY reason at all, so no need to unpack the guitar in the store if you would rather have the convenience of doing it at home. You should probably check to make sure this policy has not changed, though.

As for the guitars that you selected, I have heard good things about Yamaha Pacificas, and Yamaha has a great reputation of producing high quality in lower priced instruments, so I would probably go for one of those.

Good luck, and I hope you will enjoy many years of playing with your son.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:23 AM

Quality wise, I would rank the Yamaha's and Ibanez's above the Squier and Epiphones.

I would buy new from Musicians Friend and get 10-15% off coupon. The savings on these low end guitars is not substantial enough to buy used (IMHO). By the time GC adds S&H (I think they do on all used items) and sales tax, you may pay more than the same item new from MF.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

If you are going to have something shipped to one of their stores why not just go to the store first and see what they have. Don't forget you will need an amp and cable.

If you plan to buy one or two guitars, see what kind of package they can put together for you.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I have had used guitars shipped directly to my home from Guitar Center for free, and on one occasion I returned the guitar to my local store because I did not like the tone, and they refunded 100% of my money, including shipping.

As for the guitars that you selected, I have heard good things about Yamaha Pacificas, and Yamaha has a great reputation of producing high quality in lower priced instruments, so I would probably go for one of those.

Good luck, and I hope you will enjoy many years of playing with your son.
I chatted with someone from GC this morning and for a used it guitar they told me it would be $20+ for shipping whether I shipped it to my home or to another GC.

This makes me rethink buying used...if I can get the same guitar brand new for only $20 or $30 more, why not do that?

Yea, I like their return policy!

Thanks for the input on the guitars and I appreciate the good luck...looking forward to spending even more time with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Quality wise, I would rank the Yamaha's and Ibanez's above the Squier and Epiphones.

I would buy new from Musicians Friend and get 10-15% off coupon. The savings on these low end guitars is not substantial enough to buy used (IMHO). By the time GC adds S&H (I think they do on all used items) and sales tax, you may pay more than the same item new from MF.
Thanks for the input on going with the Yamaha or Ibanez...knew Yamaha has a great reputation, wasn't sure about Ibanez.

I would prefer to play the guitar I'm buying first, but yes, there doesn't seem to be a lot of savings when buying low end used.

The only thing I worry about when buying from MF is that the guitar wouldn't be set up properly when it got to me and being a newbie I would be afraid I wouldn't know how to set it up properly.

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 PM

i can't recommend any of those used guitars. i would recommend that you go to the big box store and play a lot of acoustic guitars as well as a variety of electrics thru a variety of amps. today would be a great day to do that due to the holiday sales going on.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM

I'd avoid Bullet squiers, but for entry-level the rest are fine.

I would never buy a used guitar at GC, you can get the same or better on Craigslist for less. IMO, there's no advantage to paying more for new for guitars at this level. Save your money, learn to do your own set-up, learn to play, see where it takes you ☺
Old 05-28-2018, 01:03 PM

GC does charge for shipping on used gear, at least its returnable, 30 days on used stuff, i went through all kind of acoustics and ended up with a $80 fender concert size solid top, high dollar names dont always get you what you want, this one after set up (which youll need) has low action and great intonation, id hesitate on a low end squier strat
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-28-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I chatted with someone from GC this morning and for a used it guitar they told me it would be $20+ for shipping whether I shipped it to my home or to another GC.

This makes me rethink buying used...if I can get the same guitar brand new for only $20 or $30 more, why not do that?

Yea, I like their return policy!

Thanks for the input on the guitars and I appreciate the good luck...looking forward to spending even more time with him!

Thanks for the input on going with the Yamaha or Ibanez...knew Yamaha has a great reputation, wasn't sure about Ibanez.

I would prefer to play the guitar I'm buying first, but yes, there doesn't seem to be a lot of savings when buying low end used.

The only thing I worry about when buying from MF is that the guitar wouldn't be set up properly when it got to me and being a newbie I would be afraid I wouldn't know how to set it up properly.

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB
They will ship to MF and, in turn, to you in the same state that they leave the factory. None receive more than a rudimentary setup before shipment from the factory.

I would not have the GC tech do a setup unless someone you know can personally recommend them. Their tech could be a total hack, a genius or anywhere in between.

I suspect that the state they ship in will be good enough for you to began to learn and play. String height and intonation are easy to adjust with electrics. Setting the relief and properly slotted nuts are are a different issue.

I feel confident that while either an Yamaha or Ibanez may not be set up to perfection upon arrival, they will probably be enough in the ball park to get you rolling. Just my .02

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-29-2018, 09:13 AM

As tight a budget you are keeping with this purchase keep in mind that all the big retailers run specials of 36 and 48 month interest free deals with their house cards. Low balling a starter guitar is just setting up for failure. Spend a couple of extra bucks and get the gear you and sonny boy will play, not store under the bed. Ease of play equals playing time.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Low balling a starter guitar is just setting up for failure. Spend a couple of extra bucks and get the gear you and sonny boy will play, not store under the bed. Ease of play equals playing time.
Thanks for the advice...I think I shall take it and look at new guitars (but not going $ crazy) instead of used. With that in mind, I have a question:

If thinking of guitars under the $180 range (that's pushing my limit past the max when you include amp), which of the following manufacturers do you trust to typically put out decent quality products regardless of the price:

- Yamaha
- Epiphone
- Ibanez
- Dean
- Squier
- Rogue
- ESP
- Mitchell
- Kramer
- Jackson

I appreciate all of the input!

TripleB
Old 05-29-2018, 02:45 PM

Yamaha for acoustic
Squire for electric
But, as always, play before you buy if at all possible.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:11 PM

I would say, that in that price range ($180) new for electric guitars, I would look at guitars with fixed bridges.

The guitars with the tremlo arms (whammy bars) in that price range are usually very cheaply made and keeping the guitar in tune becomes a pain in the rear. Just skip that whole potential nightmare and stick to guitars with fixed bridges for now.

In that vain, I would look into some of these:

For the Squier line up:

Tele (Single-coil/ Single-coil pickups):
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/...Fingerboard.gc

Strat (Single-coil/ Single-coil/ Single-coil pickups):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...od-fingerboard

Strat (Humbucker/Single-coil/Single-coil pickups):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...el-fingerboard

Mustang (Humbucker/ Humbucker pickups):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...el-fingerboard

That said, If it was me looking in that price range, I'd be very tempted to buy this Ibanez. I find Ibanez to have better hardware at this price point over the equivlent Squier guitars.

GAX30 (Humbucker/ Humbucker pickups):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...sparent-cherry

And, truthfully, I would spend the extra bit on this model.... I like the extra tone/volume controls, the color, pickup covers and pick guard..

AX120:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-blue-metallic

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 05-29-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Thanks for the advice...I think I shall take it and look at new guitars (but not going $ crazy) instead of used. With that in mind, I have a question:

If thinking of guitars under the $180 range (that's pushing my limit past the max when you include amp), which of the following manufacturers do you trust to typically put out decent quality products regardless of the price:

- Yamaha
- Epiphone
- Ibanez
- Dean
- Squier
- Rogue
- ESP
- Mitchell
- Kramer
- Jackson

I appreciate all of the input!

TripleB
You should scratch Dean, Rogue and Mitchell off your list immediately IMO. I also agree that fixed bridges stay in tune better - especially in the budget stuff.

Higher end Squier are fine, lower end, not so much. I don't know if Kramer makes something in your stated budget.

I'm not that familiar with the ESP brand, but their budget electrics get high marks as does Jackson.

The budget Epi Les Pauls are better than the Fender Squier stuff for the money (IMO) but I don't like their one piece saddle AT ALL though. Yamaha Pacifica's get some love universally too.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 PM

i really dont know what kind of electric advice to offer, i think you really need to see what type electric (pick ups etc) you like and the style music you have in mind 1st, id say used, but not sure if you have enough experience to see if the guitar is any good, id say new, but take best bang for the buck under $180 including an amp with a grain of salt, new or used it will still need a set up, does the place you will be taking lessons have rentals you try?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars