The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-19-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Do you have a point of view on the quality of the recording for the BR600 vs. units that record in uncompressed .wav format such as the Zoom H4/
I tend to be of the opinion that the front end matters most. I believe that the room, mics and quality of performance are going to be more significant variables. YMMV of course.

Just out of interest, I loaded a couple of Donald Fagen tracks into the BR and compared the playback of the BR with a portable CD player and a mid-range Marantz CD player. All of these were auditioned via a Linn/NAIM hi-fi and various sets of headphones. There's definitely a difference from the BR - there's a loss of detail on things like cymbals and just a general lack of separation and definition. If I wasn't A/B-ing with the CD it would be harder to spot.

I don't know if the difference I hear is due to the encoding or the BR converters. For my purposes, it doesn't worry me. I'm primarily using it as tool for capturing musical ideas, rather than a field recorder.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostedsoul View Post
hi, i'm tired of trying to make distortions, and i cant pick one i like, its a litlle bit hard to edit the preset effetcs i cant make the sound i want, is there any site with the combinations to make distortions and editing boss effetcs? i think this is the worst part of BR-600...thanks
The presets are nearly all totally overcooked. Try finding one that is in the right ballpark and start by turning off the modulation, reverb, delay and maybe the compression. Then tweak the pre-amp EQ and gain to suit your guitar & taste. Then play around with the speaker model choice and 4-band EQ. Finally, add back in any modulation or delay that you want.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Cuda52, the main limitation you would have with the BR-600 is that it can record only two tracks at a time. There is an "external mix" function that will let you input two additional sources and mix them with the two primary sources you are using. But they are mixed to two tracks only. You could use another mixer to get to two tracks and record those. But of course you are stuck with whatever mix you get while you are recording. An 8 or 16 track unit that has 8 inputs would let you get everything you are talking about on discreet tracks for more control during mixing. But then you are talking a lot more money. I think you would be happy with the BR-600 for the money. Just keep in mind you have to get whatever you are going to record to two tracks. That is, if you want to record everything at once "live." But if you get into doing multiple passes for each part, well, that's what the thing is made for. You might decide recording this way is a lot of fun. I sure think so.
Peavy Fury V bass
LR Baggs Gigpro
DigiTech JamMan
Fishman Loudbox 100
Boss BR-600
Vegas & Sound Forge
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=641563
Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Default battery question - BR-600

I was browsing through the BR-600 manual and saw the claim "do not use with rechargable batteries". I've seen that elsewhere with other devices that still seemed to work fine (with rechargables). So what's the story ... is this a major concern or just manufacturer disclaimer type statement? I would not really like to be buying 6 batteries every few days ... that would add up to a lot of additional expense. I'd appreciate anyone experience or knowledge in this area.

[It's very hard to decide between the MicroBR, ZoomH4, and the BR-600 for me]. I love the MicroBR size and feature set - just not the lack of in/out options, the Zoom's downside seems to be the difficuly of adjusting levels with tweedily scroll wheel... so I'm leaning towards the BR-600, it has so many more functions and just a little bigger size .... "if only" it had two XLR w/phantom and two line-in with record to 4 tracks .. it would be perfect: portable musical notebook - record more than just one guitar/accompany track ... and yet not completely duplicate my "stationary" home studio and associated expense .... sigh ... decisions, decisions.]

Thank to everyone for all the good information contributed here
Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Is it true that the BR600 records in uncompressed format. I know you can convert the files to .wav, but does it result in the same quality as recording uncompressed to start with like the H4.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 01-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks Wingman. I think I'll give the BR600 a whirl. Your comments and the whole thread by everyone has really been a great help! thanks to all. Right now, my daughter and I just want to record live. I'm guessing that down the road our interests may expand. For now this sounds like a way to get started with a reasonably straight-forward piece of equipment.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Default batteries ...

any thoughs or responses to my rechargeable battery question above?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
any thoughs or responses to my rechargeable battery question above?
I really don't know the answer, but as I recall, rechargeables AAs are 1.2 V vs. 1.5 V which may impact the circuitry's voltage regulation.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 AM

If running on battery power is important to you I'd say that the BR-600 is not the best choice. Something like the Edirol R09 or maybe the Zoom H4 (if that supports rechargeables) might be better.

One of the unpleasant characteristics of rechargeables is that you get very little warning of low battery level before your device shuts off, so it might be worth the cost of alkalines not to miss an important take because the batteries expired half-way through.

All BR-600 recordings use Roland's MT2 (highest quality) or LV1 or LV2 (lower quality) compression.

I can understand why BOSS didn't fit phantom power and XLRs to the BR-600. There are boxes like the Phantom range from ART that could get you around this limitation if necessary.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM

I'm selling my lightly used Micro BR with a 1gig card upgrade. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remolution View Post
I'm selling my lightly used Micro BR with a 1gig card upgrade. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested!
What has been your experience with it? Likes, dislikes.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM

To be honest with you I only used it once and that was to jam with a jazz track I wanted to improvise over so I am no really able to answer that for you.. It has a lot of great reviews, but I really don't need it. An impulse buy.

It is a great scratch pad for ideas.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Tom S: Wondering what recorder you have chosen?

From the two I choose Micro BR, mainly for its portability. It is an impressive tool, indeed. Check this Boss Micro BR review and listen to the sound samples. It sounds pretty good for it's size.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 AM

I just got the BR600 as a Christmas gift (not opened yet). I was swayed by my interest in making a CD, the drums aspect and the fact that GC cut me a 20% off deal on a holiday sale. I also liked the ability to plug in a foot pedal for various functions. Overall, none of these satisfy all my interests. I may still get the H2 or Micro BR as well for rehearsal. They both seems like a dynamite boxes. I have 30 days to return the BR600, so I am anxious to give it a whirl.
Formerly ITArchitect

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-22-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Question functions of the Boss BR 600

Hello everyone, I'm a guitarplayer and was looking for a drumcomputer. So I found out there is some product like the boss DR 880. But, I also found out that there is a product called boss BR 600. That is a recorder, I know. But with a drumcomputer built in and cheaper! So I have a few questions for those people that are a little familiar with the BR 600. I'd like to know if you can use this product during a live-gig. And is it possible to assemble all kinds of measures (like 3/4 or 6/8) ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell