The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-14-2020, 11:53 AM
AGF Administrator

What a pleasure to watch and listen to. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:41 PM

Very pretty! Well played, recorded, and shot!
Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM

Quite apart from the lovely playing, that is a hell of a good recorded tone! What intrigues me is the almost total lack of string noise - what’s the secret Doug??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-15-2020, 03:03 PM

Wow! Just... Wow!

Taylor 324ce
Taylor Academy 10
Yamaha FGX800C
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Quite apart from the lovely playing, that is a hell of a good recorded tone! What intrigues me is the almost total lack of string noise - what’s the secret Doug??
Well, I try to not squeak :-). I've been using Newtone double wound strings lately. They're not coated, but they are warmer sounding, and do seem a bit smoother and reduce noise a bit. I think I killed a few noises that bothered me with RX, as well.

Soundwise, my You Tube setup is pretty simple, an Audio Technica 4050st stereo mic. It's a Mid-Side mic, but decodes to XY right on the mic, which is how I used it here. Recorded to the Zoom H6, then loaded into Logic for mixing. Ozone for some EQ and limiting, and reverb (Bricasti). That guitar seems to record well, and I'm liking the Newtones on it.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:53 AM

Default When You Wish Upon a Star - Fingerstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Well, I try to not squeak :-). I've been using Newtone double wound strings lately. They're not coated, but they are warmer sounding, and do seem a bit smoother and reduce noise a bit. I think I killed a few noises that bothered me with RX, as well.

Soundwise, my You Tube setup is pretty simple, an Audio Technica 4050st stereo mic. It's a Mid-Side mic, but decodes to XY right on the mic, which is how I used it here. Recorded to the Zoom H6, then loaded into Logic for mixing. Ozone for some EQ and limiting, and reverb (Bricasti). That guitar seems to record well, and I'm liking the Newtones on it.

Thanks for the insight Doug - I have used the Newtones quite a lot and agree that they sound warm.

Why the 4050st on this occasion and not twin spaced pair as you have used in the past?

It looks like a really interesting mic so would love to hear more about it and what you think of it.

Last edited by Wrighty; 07-16-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Doug - I have used the Newtones quite a lot and agree that they sound warm.

Why the 4050st on this occasion and not twin spaced pair as you have used in the past?
I got the 4050 a few years ago with the idea of simplifying my you tube setup. Between camera and mic stands and trying to not have mics too much in the way of video, etc, it just seemed nice to be able to use a single mic, less to deal with, less clutter in the video, etc. I think I've used it on all or at least most of the video's I've done in the past several years. I do tend to prefer spaced pairs or raw MS for studio recordings, or sometimes multi-mic setups.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
I got the 4050 a few years ago with the idea of simplifying my you tube setup. Between camera and mic stands and trying to not have mics too much in the way of video, etc, it just seemed nice to be able to use a single mic, less to deal with, less clutter in the video, etc. I think I've used it on all or at least most of the video's I've done in the past several years. I do tend to prefer spaced pairs or raw MS for studio recordings, or sometimes multi-mic setups.

Thanks - that was what I was thinking when I saw it, a simpler approach to set up and position etc.

It certainly sounds great, but they are fairly pricey by the looks of it so for me it would be a tough call over say a pair of used mics - I am looking at what might represent a meaningful sound improvement over the AT2020’s without spending a fortune..

Do you ever record the pickup channel and blend that in too?

Old 07-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks - that was what I was thinking when I saw it, a simpler approach to set up and position etc.

It certainly sounds great, but they are fairly pricey by the looks of it so for me it would be a tough call over say a pair of used mics - I am looking at what might represent a meaningful sound improvement over the AT2020’s without spending a fortune..

Do you ever record the pickup channel and blend that in too?
You're getting a great sound with the 2020s. But if you want to upgrade, you could stay with AT and more or less pick your price point. The 4033's are a solid mic, that will have less self-noise than the 2020's. The 4050 comes as individual mics or as the single stereo version. Depending on your budget, a pair of KM184s or Gefell M300s might be a noticeable step up. They show up used fairly often.

I don't use pickups for recording generally. I have done it with a baritone, to get a bit more definition. But I usually think it just makes the sound worse. A lot of the CandyRat crowd seems to do that effectively, tho.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Stunning performance in all respects, Doug.

Rick
Old 07-16-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You're getting a great sound with the 2020s. But if you want to upgrade, you could stay with AT and more or less pick your price point. The 4033's are a solid mic, that will have less self-noise than the 2020's. The 4050 comes as individual mics or as the single stereo version. Depending on your budget, a pair of KM184s or Gefell M300s might be a noticeable step up. They show up used fairly often.

I don't use pickups for recording generally. I have done it with a baritone, to get a bit more definition. But I usually think it just makes the sound worse. A lot of the CandyRat crowd seems to do that effectively, tho.

Thanks - that’s helpful Doug.

I guess I feel the 2020’s are solid but I would like more..

From my Hi-if days however I am well aware of the diminishing returns available for extra cash once at a certain level ;-)

I think I will wait and go for something along the lines of the Gefell or Neuman’s

Lot’s more improvement in the tone of my playing first to be honest.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:24 PM

Absolutely exquisite. I participated in that enjoyable AGF arranging group and was blown away by your arrangement then. Seeing you play it is incredible. Acoustic guitar doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for posting Doug.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:18 AM

thanks for sharing Doug, really enjoyed listening to that.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM

just a treat to watch and listen...that's for the inspiration and sharing your gifts with us!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Doug

That was just wonderful.

While Somewhere Over The Rainbow has now reached par with Stairway ... this little gem is just as beautiful and not played to death. I think I suggested it as a teaching piece a few years back. Can not remember if it was to you.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Tahitijack; 07-18-2020 at 09:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell