The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Hi Guys!

As always, we are ever present in the background of the forum, and chime in when called upon!

I just wanted to let you know how serious we take each and every issue. Both myself, Alistair and the rest of the team are focused upon continious improvement, and every single issue must be traced to a source and an action put in place.

As you all know, our guitars are hand made and crafted. This not only enables us to build each and every guitar to the customs exact specifications, but we believe it also makes them more special. Variation can occur in every process weather it be and automated industrial production line or an Artisan process such as what we have. We have 3 seperate quality checks on every single completed instrument before it leaves us, and whilst these are extremly robust checks, unfortunatly on a very small number of occasions issues either slip through or occur during shipping.

The company has grown slightly in the last year, however quaility has increased significantly. We monitor and log every single issue and review the data constantly. As mentioned above, we welcome feedback as this enables us to react and improve.

One of the more recent things we have started to focus on is asking the customer how they would like their guitar set up and advising on this. We set the action based on customers playing style or their requested height. We also suggest that if the customer plans to change the strings, or use in an alternative tuning, that they let us know and we can set the guitar up accordingly. Its difficult for us to test every guitar in every possible playing style, but this enables us to view it from the customers perspective. And any of you who have set up guitars before will know its alaways a balance between great plaibility and low action, and ensuring enough reliefe so that theres no issues when thmping out the open chords!

We have also setup a new email which both myself and alistair pick up on, and would welcome you guys to reach out to us with any issues or feedback; [email protected]

As many of you guys know, we are extremly passionate about the instruments we create, and love getting to know you guys trhough the process. We are all musicians here and understand that a guitar is more than just an object to sit on a shelf! Job satisfaction is seeing the instruments we create getting put to good use!

Have a nice weekend guys, I hope your emerald make this strange time a little less quiet!

Simon McG

Last edited by Simon@Emerald; 05-01-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Email address fixed, as noted by jjhturbo! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
Hi Guys!

As always, we are ever present in the background of the forum, and chime in when called upon!

I just wanted to let you know how serious we take each and every issue. Both myself, Alistair and the rest of the team are focused upon continious improvement, and every single issue must be traced to a source and an action put in place.

As you all know, our guitars are hand made and crafted. This not only enables us to build each and every guitar to the customs exact specifications, but we believe it also makes them more special. Variation can occur in every process weather it be and automated industrial production line or an Artisan process such as what we have. We have 3 seperate quality checks on every single completed instrument before it leaves us, and whilst these are extremly robust checks, unfortunatly on a very small number of occasions issues either slip through or occur during shipping.

The company has grown slightly in the last year, however quaility has increased significantly. We monitor and log every single issue and review the data constantly. As mentioned above, we welcome feedback as this enables us to react and improve.

One of the more recent things we have started to focus on is asking the customer how they would like their guitar set up and advising on this. We set the action based on customers playing style or their requested height. We also suggest that if the customer plans to change the strings, or use in an alternative tuning, that they let us know and we can set the guitar up accordingly. Its difficult for us to test every guitar in every possible playing style, but this enables us to view it from the customers perspective. And any of you who have set up guitars before will know its alaways a balance between great plaibility and low action, and ensuring enough reliefe so that theres no issues when thmping out the open chords!

We have also setup a new email which both myself and alistair pick up on, and would welcome you guys to reach out to us with any issues or feedback; [email protected]

As many of you guys know, we are extremly passionate about the instruments we create, and love getting to know you guys trhough the process. We are all musicians here and understand that a guitar is more than just an object to sit on a shelf! Job satisfaction is seeing the instruments we create getting put to good use!

Have a nice weekend guys, I hope your emerald make this strange time a little less quiet!

Simon McG
Hi Simon,

It is great that Emerald actually participate in threads such as this. The parts of your post that I highlighted in bold are exactly what continuous process improvement does, and the results are amazing. Consider what the Japanese did when applying this to their cars. However, with all the custom work you do, it is different than popping off 100,000 of the exact some thing on an assembly as the Japanese do with their cars. So this thread participation, coupled with a healthy customer-facing attitude, and the continuous process improvement in place, should instill confidence that Emerald will continue to improve and is more than willing to make good on any issues that arise.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:53 AM

I think Simons responce largely avoids the issues with QC , the thread is for the most part not about how you like your guitar setup.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP850 View Post
I think Simons responce largely avoids the issues with QC , the thread is for the most part not about how you like your guitar setup.
Sure I can't fully disagree with that however I do think their goal to continuously improve is sincere. It's definitely a plus that they monitor the forum, even if we're just a small portion of their sales.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 05-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
That’s not fair. He addressed the QC component. I think you need to read it again. In addition to addressing QC and their quest for continuous improvement he offered additional information about trying to work with customers for optimal setup.

I will also personally give Emerald props for having the courage to engage so directly in this forum. That is not something you see RainSong, McPherson, and many others companies doing. For that they have my respect and get some points. It is impressive.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
That’s not fair. He addressed the QC component. I think you need to read it again. In addition to addressing QC and their quest for continuous improvement he offered additional information about trying to work with customers for optimal setup.

I will also personally give Emerald props for having the courage to engage so directly in this forum. That is not something you see RainSong, McPherson, and many others companies doing. For that they have my respect and get some points. It is impressive.
Well said I say... It is impressive and makes me want to buy an Emerald someday.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Agreed. To suggest that Emerald does not care about QC is ludicrous, especially when paragraphs 2-4 of Simon's response are concerned with just that.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
I believe that email is a typo? The correct email should be [email protected] (I assume).
Old 05-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks for jumping in and summarizing. That is pretty much what I said, but probably in too many words, though you are addressing a response to either Simon's or my post, where that post didn't exist yet when I posted. Anyway, I agree with your summary - and I don't own an Emerald. I will be playing one at some point that this whole COVID-19 thing settles down.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Well said I say... It is impressive and makes me want to buy an Emerald someday.
Lol...yes you should really try and get around to eventually trying out one of their products...lol
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-01-2020, 11:26 AM

The thread was largely about QC Simons responce was largely about setup. I know there are alot of fanboys here and l love my x7 but they have some QC issue my x7 has sanding marks on the neck and a tinney ringing open B string, is it worth it to send it back? no, do l wish they wernt there? yes, should they be on a $1,675. Insturment no.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Well, here I was feeling sorry for myself - waiting on my first Emerald to be delivered, semi-quarantined at home. I needn't have worried. First, I stumbled upon Label Gate and felt the visceral ire of those with a label hanging by a carbon fiber thread. Then came the QC thread with Emerald owners (rightly) expressing concern about quality issues with their guitars.

This was followed by Simone's post, which I took as sincere if for no other reason than the lengths he went to address Emerald's own concern for constant improvements.

This was quickly pounced upon by a forum member who implied Simone was dodging the QC issue.

Phew...I knew getting an Emerald would be entertaining but I thought that'd be from playing it, not from this drama as I anxiously await becoming a new member of the Emerald family.

None of this saga has made me regret my purchase.

This will be my first Emerald and first CF guitar. I purchased it in large part because of the support Alistair and Company receive from AGF. I was also really impressed when Alistair himself made a video for me of a new X20 that hadn't made it to the website.

I hope it's perfect but few things or people are. I work in the College of Business at an SEC school and we talk with our students about the importance of building a brand and protecting your brand's reputation. Emerald does so many things right that I'm willing, actually eager, to do business with them.

Cheers and Happy Friday everyone!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Agreed. To suggest that Emerald does not care about QC is ludicrous, especially when paragraphs 2-4 of Simon's response are concerned with just that.
100%. Personally, every time I see a video where Alistair is speaking about his company or his products I see nothing but professionalism and sincerity. As I have said, although they have some problems (what company doesn’t), to this point I have zero reason to question their intent or integrity.

Frankly they probably have the most unique product in the carbon fiber space. There is a lot to build on there. That company has been and is going places. It is clear. I know one thing. They seem to understand the power of social media more than most guitar companies from what I can see....wood or carbon...

This is my overall take on them as a company. I don’t own any Emerald products, but I suppose I’m still entitled to have an opinion/impression. I’m certainly interested in their products and their progression.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-01-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The thread was largely about QC Simons responce was largely about setup. I know there are alot of fanboys here and l love my x7 but they have some QC issue my x7 has sanding marks on the neck and a tinney ringing open B string, is it worth it to send it back? no, do l wish they wernt there? yes, should they be on a $1,675. Insturment no.
With respect, you must be reading what you want to read relative to some mini axe to grind you seem to have with them. I pride myself on being fairly adept at comprehending the English language in both written and oral form. I know what I’m reading from the Emerald post. It is clear as day. At this point I have no idea what text you are even looking at based on your comments.

I am the farthest thing from a fanboy of Emerald or any other brand, so you can get that out of your mind. I’m generally inclined to sell any manufacturer down the river if I think they deserve it. Just ask anyone around here about how I am. You wouldn’t know this because you are pretty new around these parts.

You deciding for yourself to not have Emerald deal with your problems was your choice, not theirs. I bet they would have sorted you out had you let them. Sounds to me like you have regrets about your decision.

With this said, I agree with your assessment. I hear ya. Such problems in an ideal world should not exist on expensive instruments. Then there is reality. All one can expect is for a company to take responsibility for their product when there are problems. Some companies don’t even do that. Hopefully you can get your problems with your instrument sorted out. That’s disappointing for sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Scratch the “new around these parts” part

I see you have been here since 2014. My bad.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber