The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Question Crossover Signature (Spruce/Cocobolo) vs Taylor NS64CE (Spruce/Maple)?

How does the tone of a Crossover Signature (Engelmann Spruce/Cocobolo back and sides) compare with a Taylor NS64CE (Engelmann spruce/Maple Back and sides)?

I have played a Taylor NS64CE before and LOVED it, but is that just because I have not played spruce/cocobolo combination before? Anyone played these two guitars, or both wood combinations before and can tell me what differences I will expect. I do not live in an area that has these kinds of guitars readily available for me to go play/try out.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM

A Cervantes will not sound like a Taylor NS regardless of the woods uses to build. I owned a Taylor NS6. It is one of my favorites of the Taylor NS series. But a Cervantes has more final colors and a more vibrant lively tone.
A Cervantes Crossover with Palo Escrito back/sides paired with an englemann spruce top would probably be to your liking. It has that punchy direct tone that is found in maple guitars. It will also cost you less than a new Taylor or signature series Cervantes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical