The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Default What's wrong with my G-string?

OK, so I intentionally chose a "thought-provoking" thread title. Perhaps it'll generate some laughs.

Seriously, when playing my Cordoba C7, it seems that the "g" is always doing weird things and needs near-constant adjustment.

Is this somewhat typical behavior for nylon guitars?
OR
Rather, is this indicative of cheap tuner hardware supplied on Cordoba guitars?

Should I consider a tuner upgrade or learn to live with constant re-tuning?

Thank you for the help.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

maybe describing what a "weird thing" is could help.

Jump sharp or flat? Detune slowly over the course of an hour of playing? Spontaneously catch fire and emit peacock-blue smoke?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post
...it seems that the "g" is always doing weird things and needs near-constant adjustment.

Is this somewhat typical behavior for nylon guitars?
No, a freqent requirement to adjust the tuning of the G-string is not typical behavior for nylon-string guitars. Something is amiss.

I would begin by verifying that this effect persists after changing the G-string, and that the bridge knot is not slipping. I would further verify that the string is correctly secured to the plastic spool at the tuner. It is not uncommon that a string may have just enough *grip* around the tuner spool to remain in place, yet still be able to gradually *slip* about the spool in very small increments -- thus essentially unwinding itself very slowly. The effect is a string that seems to always go flat. The solution is a secure knot when the string is first wound upon the tuner spool.

Lastly, it is possible that there is something wrong with the tuner itself. Check that the threads engage properly, and that the screw attaching the tuner knob to the spool shaft is secure. If all else fails, the tuner itself may need replacement.

Last edited by Paultergeist; 01-11-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
No, a freqent requirement to adjust the tuning of the G-string is not typical behavior for nylon-string guitars. Something is amiss.
hmmm.....I've always found it pretty typical for the G and B strings to be problematic in regards to intonation issues, especially on "student" level guitars.

Some say that using a set with a wound G string will help, I'd consider taking it to a tech and having a compensated saddle made for it.

My Pro R showed up with the action very high at the saddle, and it also had an arch (as you would expect from a saddle in a guitar with a radiused fingerboard) I sanded the bottom of the saddle, and carefully removed the "crown" on the top as well. There is still a bit of finickiness (is that a word?) in the G and B strings, but again, without a compensated saddle, it's almost to be expected.

I'm going to work on it some more this afternoon

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM

The 3rd string is the "tubbiest" sounding one and can be prone to intonation issues. This is because it has the largest diameter of the nylon strings.

The solutions are:
  1. Use a compensated saddle - Yamaha does this on their guitars. You'll see that the saddle at the 3rds string has a compensation that lengthens the string. This can solve the intonation issue but it won't fix the tubby sound. I carve my bone saddles with compensations for the 3rd string.
  2. Use a composite 3rd string - D'Addario offers an extra coffee-colored composite string in Pro Arte Composite sets. You can use the regular nylon string or the composite string. Some players have found that the composite strings does the job.
  3. Use a carbon 3rd string - This is similar to #2. Players who know their instruments will sometimes substitute a carbon 3rd string for the nylon 3rd string in a set. Carbon is denser and the string has a narrower diameter. It is brighter and sounds much less tubby.
If you constantly have to retune it (compared to the other nylon strings) then you may have a different problem. How many times did you wind it around the rollers compared to the other strings?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM

My Taylor NS72 is the same. I think what you're getting at is that it will go sharp. Mine goes sharp as the string warms. All of the trebles do to some extent, but the g is the worst. In the morning it's really flat because I had to lower it the day before and forgot about it.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

OK, my apologies--I'm try to be clearer:

The g-string seems to most often go a bit sharp. No, there are no flames or anything quite so glamorous. I'm having to constantly re-tune. Like, between every single song at least.

I hadn't really thought about the "warming up factor" I'll have to give that hypothesis a test.

I had looked into the "composite" g sets this morning and ordered a couple of those in order to give 'em a try. I had NOT looked into the carbons. Thanks for the suggesttions

I am about 98% sure that it is NOT a mechanical string slippage issue.
I'll look into the compensated saddle.
So, any other thoughts about the tuners, or is it more likely a string problem? Would humidity (or lack thereof) be a factor? It's been mighty dry...

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

That does help.

Going sharp can indicate "warming up" or sometimes, just a bum string. Mechanical tuner issues or a sloppy stringup usually result in slippage, which usually leads to the string going flat.

How far sharp are we talking here? Is it one of those things that happens all of a sudden, or do you become aware of it after playing a while and your ears just can't take it anymore? You could also have a string that's binding up in the nut slot...how's the intonation on that string?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Musical minimalist

I would think temp would be a much greater variable than humidity.

If it were me, I'd start with the saddle.....if you've got someone reasonable nearby that can fix a compensated saddle for you, it might take care of it.

Also, the action may be high and you may be "pulling" it sharp as you play.

Get it to a good tech that knows classical instruments and see what they think. I'm guessing you'll end up in a much better place....

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM

The 3rd string was problematic for me as well. Going to the Oasis GPX carbon fiber strings solved this beautifully. The G string is problematic for many, this is why you may hear about some players buying singles of strings rather than sets.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM

partyofone's got it...G's go sharp with temp variance. A wound G will stop it but often the nut slot is too large to accept one.

Last edited by john bange; 01-11-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 PM

The problem is most likely the nut. If the slot is too tight, it will gradually go sharp on you. Fairly common on inexpensive guitars.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 AM

I think we just need to accept that nylon strings are more temperamental than steel ones. They usually need tuning when you start to play and often need retuning (often more than once) whilst you are playing. For me it's a price worth paying.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
I think we just need to accept that nylon strings are more temperamental than steel ones. They usually need tuning when you start to play and often need retuning (often more than once) whilst you are playing. For me it's a price worth paying.
thats it...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
partyofone's got it...G's go sharp with temp variance. A wound G will stop it but often the nut slot is too large to accept one.
Too "LARGE" to accept a smaller string??? How could that be?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical