The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Default :-)

Blue.

And the guy with the comments on Raised On Robbery made good points too, as did others. Like many, now versus then... just different times, interests...

A few years ago, a younger musical friend was going down the exact same road with... Emy Lou Harris...

"You kinda had to be there" is also a factor in stuff like this.

Matt, you ALWAYS make me smile, at least! Hilarious thought and thread! And I KNOW you were sincere - just such a clear thought and observation. Even us old-timers ask ourselves the same thing - "I used to like THAT"?!

ENJOY your trip! MIKE
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
A little LSD and Joni in the '60s...
A little doobie and Joni in the '70s...
A little sour mash and Joni in the '80s...
A little ... uh, What was the question?
lololol! Good one Dave!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Default nope

Sorry but, no i won't explain Joni Mitchell's appeal to you
Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
Sorry but, no i won't explain Joni Mitchell's appeal to you
Because you don't understand her appeal either? Or is it one of those, "dude, if you don't get her vibes, there's just no puttin words to it!" kind of things.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I'm rewriting Kris' quote to "hearing Joni Michell feels as good as being stuck in traffic."

Help!
You are beyond help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Remember when you're listening to someone like Joni, that you're hearing an original, someone tons of people have copied since. Try to imagine you're hearing her do this first, not after 40 years of other people copying her. if you find yourself thinking "Whats the big deal, she sounds like X?", wrong, it's that X copied Joni.
I think Doug made an important point there.

By the way, as a great "introduction" to Joni, I'd say "Blue".
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-03-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM

This to me is what is magical about Joni Mitchell-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEK9yi3KS4I

Kevdog
Old 07-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Here's a clip from 2007 with Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorius. If you don't like this, you just won't like Joni Mitchell. How many performers from the early 60's can still cut it like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBba77U1_Y
Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the link, HHP. While she's no longer gliding around in the stratoshere with the high notes, its great to see her looking so fit, energetic and in command at sixty-something. I definitely did find this particular performance to be sexy. On the other hand, the vulnerability of the "Case of You" clip had me feeling more protective than turned on, as exquisitely beautiful as that performance was. In any event, we've seen "both sides now", and then some.

Gary
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Jaco died in 1987; Michael Brecker, playing saxophone in that clip, died in 2007. I'd guess that performance is from the late 70's or early 80's.

Here's a recent photo of Joni:

http://cdn.wn.com/o25/ph//2009/04/10...60b-grande.jpg

Last edited by Akubra; 07-06-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubra View Post
Jaco died in 1987; Michael Brecker, playing saxophone in that clip, died in 2007. I'd guess that performance is from the late 70's or early 80's.

Here's a recent photo of Joni:

http://cdn.wn.com/o25/ph//2009/04/10...60b-grande.jpg

Thanks for the reality check, Akubra. Being sixty-something myself, I really wanted to believe that Joni was holding it together that well. Your information is more in sync with the sad comment (rumor?) from a friend who recently told me that she isn't singing at all anymore.

Gary
Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Joni is one of my absolute favorites .... and my has she taken chances as few others have done. She nails a genre with originalty and brilliance then moves on to another genre.

Court And Spark ... sit down and listen to that cd from beginning to end. Still a total joy. From folk to jazz and much between. In my top 25 albums of all time.

Many of her popular tunes have not been my favs though. The radio play misses 90% of her great stuff. For Free and Amelia are also a gems. Hissing has some good stuff also.

Incredible talent ... one either gets her or not. Personal taste is all.

I have the same trouble with the Grateful Dead ... just never 'got' them but such is life. Saw her live twice ... Robben Ford / Tom Scott show was magical.

Last edited by Danzo; 07-06-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Joni's a bit of a chameleon, so there are different "Joni's" to hear, but if you know nothing about her, I'd start with an early classic, Blue. That's kind of definitive early Joni, and helped launch the whole singer/songwriter angst thing. Has to be on many people's lists of best albums. Just Joni on guitar, dulcimer and piano.

On the other hand, Court and Spark is more pop, with Larry Carlton, Tom Scott and LA Express doing their thing, depends on what you like. Might make that #2. From there, her more esoteric stuff can be explored.

Remember when you're listening to someone like Joni, that you're hearing an original, someone tons of people have copied since. Try to imagine you're hearing her do this first, not after 40 years of other people copying her. if you find yourself thinking "Whats the big deal, she sounds like X?", wrong, it's that X copied Joni.

I own everything she's ever recorded and still listen to it regularly.

Her music is extremely personal and wildly ingenious. She went where no one had gone before and did it with our without commercial success.

Court and Spark is one of the top pop records ever recorded. Why she did it we'll never know (I love the album btw). Maybe to prove that she could dominate the charts if she wanted to, but we know she didn't like doing it and she never really went that commercial again.

Free Man in Paris

The way I see it, he said
You just cant win it...
Everybodys in it for their own gain
You cant please em all
Theres always somebody calling you down
I do my best
And I do good business
Theres a lot of people asking for my time
Theyre trying to get ahead
Theyre trying to be a good friend of mine

I was a free man in paris
I felt unfettered and alive
There was nobody calling me up for favors
And no ones future to decide
You know Id go back there tomorrow
But for the work Ive taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Behind the popular song

I deal in dreamers
And telephone screamers
Lately I wonder what I do it for
If l had my way
Id just walk through those doors
And wander
Down the champs elysees
Going cafe to cabaret
Thinking how Ill feel when I find
That very good friend of mine

I was a free man in paris
I felt unfettered and alive
Nobody was calling me up for favors
No ones future to decide
You know Id go back there tomorrow
But for the work Ive taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Because you don't understand her appeal either? Or is it one of those, "dude, if you don't get her vibes, there's just no puttin words to it!" kind of things.
I thought it was obvious...but I guess if its possible to not understand Joni Mitchell..its also possible to misunderstand me...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I really like the YouTube clip someone posted of Free Man in Paris. And so far, I like everything I've heard from Joni when she's not doing that vocal thing. To me that wailing thing (I don't know what else to call it) distracts from the song. I find myself anticipating it and then cringing each time it happens.

But in fairness to Joni, I find myself doing the same thing with all the new acoustic guys who insist on singing a very predictable word or two in falsetto in EVERY verse and chorus of EVERY song! So maybe it's just me.

I just downloaded Blue. I'll check that out over the next few days and see how it sounds to me.

Thanks for all the help!

Oh I forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
I thought it was obvious...but I guess if its possible to not understand Joni Mitchell..its also possible to misunderstand me...
So it is the "dude/vibes" thing. OK, now I know.

Last edited by open-road-matt; 07-07-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Dang those tasteless young singers and their wailing falsettos! Who do they think they are, Frankie Valli?

People like what they like. Its no big deal or mystery. More power to any artist who can find a market for what he/she likes to do (with respect to singing style).

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-09-2009 at 08:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell