The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Nice report, George! Thanks for the low down on these little gems. I got to play one of the prototype guitars and it was just amazing. Nice thick bass for such a small guitar. My friend at CA said that they had to back off the bass a bit when they were tweaking the design because it was too much.

JR
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
"Big Daddy"

Thanks for the great review George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
This is a great guitar. I think it might well become CAs signature guitar - it's that good. It's the best small guitar I've ever played. Now I've yet to play a Santa Cruz Firefly, which is supposed to be da' bomb, but it's 5X the cost.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Y'all must be shills for 'em... and you are doing a good job. My curiosity is piqued! (grin)

Ed
Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Also from me: Thanks for the nice review, George.

I just sent a note to CA asking them if they had any dealers near my part of the planet(N. of San Diego). I'm guessing that Buffalo Bros down the street might carry them but can't recall ever seeing any CA's there.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Check the Elderly site to get an idea for price. Nothing in stock yet but I guess they're on the way.

Very reasonable. Gonna have trouble resisting one of these things for trips to the cottage

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Smack; 03-16-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcG View Post
I don't have one yet (but I really want one ), but I did send an email request to CA's customer service requesting some info/ a recording. This morning in my inbox, to my surprise, there was a reply with two recordings! Props to CA for keeping up with their email - I've not had good experiences in the past with emailing customer service departments.

If anyone would like the info they sent me and the recordings, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it on over. (Sorry, won't post my email here to avoid spam.)

They gave me a direct recording using the built-in pickup and an acoustic recording. The acoustic recording sounds better to my ear, but I'll let you be the judge. There's also the powerpoint slideshow with information about their whole line. Let me know if you want any of this!

Thanks for the quick email response. These guitars are very intriguing! The pickup recording to me sounded like the higher frequencies were boosted way too high. The mic recording sounded very good...can't wait to play one and see reviews from others in this forum who have actually played one. Thanks again.

Jim
Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default My Baby Taylor just got crushed! I want to buy a CA Cargo asap!!!

I'm presently visiting Sarasota, Florida from Canada. We rented a Chrysler Sebring convertible -- one where the trunk lid opens and the top goes down into the trunk. You cannot place anything in the trunk space where the top folds into. Last evening, while moving luggage around in the trunk, my wife placed my Baby Taylor in that 'no luggage' space and didn't put it back before I put the top down. Well, the guitar got crushed. Now, since I'm interested in a CA Cargo anyhow, I prefer not to buy a Baby Taylor to replace it. It'll be cheaper if I buy a Cargo before I leave the States on March 29. As of tomorrow evening (Sat., Mar. 22) I'll have an address to ship to until the morning of the 29th.

If anyone can help me get to someone who can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I'll visit here as I can, but it's best to email me at [email protected].

Many thanks, guys!

Tom
Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post

Here are the pictures of the Cargo next to CA's new GX with the Offset sound-hole to give a perspective
Has anyone played the cargo's big brother?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 AM

Yeah, I am liking the offset soundhole look on the new GX. Havent got a clue if the whole offset soundhole thing is actually better or not but a) it looks cool and b) if it sounds as good as a normal soundhole then everyones a winner!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 AM

I cannot help but be amazed at how good an all Composite Acoustic Guitar Sounds and Plays!

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Yeah, I am liking the offset soundhole look on the new GX. Havent got a clue if the whole offset soundhole thing is actually better or not but a) it looks cool and b) if it sounds as good as a normal soundhole then everyones a winner!
I spoke to someone at CA last week who told me that the offset sound hole 5-series was probably not going to happen, though some had been built and sent to dealers to gauge response (which she described as favorable). She did say that a 7-series with the offset sound hole was probable, though.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
I spoke to someone at CA last week who told me that the offset sound hole 5-series was probably not going to happen, though some had been built and sent to dealers to gauge response (which she described as favorable). She did say that a 7-series with the offset sound hole was probable, though.
"5-series" and "7-Series" could you decode those terms?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 PM

the 5 series has the RT finish( roadtough) and comes with the fishman matrix VT and a gig bag. the bracing is traditional they call it.

The 7 series is more like the top of the line 8 series( formerly performer) the 7 series come with high gloss carbon burst but with NO eye candy. No shell rosette or fret dots. Plain fret board( but does have dots on the side or edge and 2 tiny dots at 12th fret) comes with fishman ellipse and hard shell case. Bracing pattern is the same as the 8 series( performer bracing)
Old 03-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Yes - sorry, I've been reading up for a couple of weeks and wasn't thinking about the new model designations being, well, new.

BTW, Danny at Acoustic Pro Musician (who seems like a really nice guy on the phone) has a 5-series offset model (natural RT finish) for those who might be looking for one...he seemed very impressed with it.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
Yes - sorry, I've been reading up for a couple of weeks and wasn't thinking about the new model designations being, well, new.

BTW, Danny at Acoustic Pro Musician (who seems like a really nice guy on the phone) has a 5-series offset model (natural RT finish) for those who might be looking for one...he seemed very impressed with it.
I'm glad that you posted as much information as you did in your earlier posts.

I'm looking forward to trying either the 5 or 7 series with the offset soundhole when/if Elderly manages to get one in.....I'm wondering if whatever bracing modifications they made with the offset soundhole will impress me even more than the ones that I have tried with the standard soundhole ( and push me over the edge to purchase one )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber