The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes. Twice. I’m actually trying to buy the second one back right now...purely for sentimental reasons.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My guitars are a lot easier to live with than any ex-girlfriends, or ex-wives for that matter. While I eagerly await the return of the aforementioned guitar, not so much for the old wives or girlfriends....
If we are sticking with a gf/wives theme, I guess my affection for 000/OMs is akin to having an ex-girlfriend who I keep trying to get back with but it never turns out well. She's sweet, beautiful, and we are the perfect match on paper, but our personalities cause us to drift everytime...
Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Once I traded in a Taylor 414ce when I bought another guitar.....I bought it back the next day. I no longer have the guitar I traded for, but I still have the Taylor 414ce.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
If we are sticking with a gf/wives theme, I guess my affection for 000/OMs is akin to having an ex-girlfriend who I keep trying to get back with but it never turns out well. She's sweet, beautiful, and we are the perfect match on paper, but our personalities cause us to drift everytime...
Clearly it's not the same for everyone, but as I head toward the BIG 70, I find the relatively low maintenance of guitars is more appealing than the relatively high maintenance of many relationships. The other thing I'd add is that while a reacquaintance may be as disquieting the second time around in some cases, I think there's also the possibility that one can better appreciate the good and accept the bad the second time around. I liked my then collection of Taylor GAs but thought that maybe I was missing out on something in other brands. For me and purely for me, trying out several nice guitars from other builders helped convince me that Taylor GAs and dreads suit me best...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM

I have not had any return home, sadly. I must say that with how much knowledge I've accrued in the last couple years, I'd love to play a few of the ones that were sold!

scott
Old 05-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrlap View Post
Once I traded in a Taylor 414ce when I bought another guitar.....I bought it back the next day. I no longer have the guitar I traded for, but I still have the Taylor 414ce.

Interestingly enough, my Taylor 414ce is now owned by a student of mine, with the stipulation of that if he ever wants to sell it, to let me know.

I simply wasn't playing it, but a year later, I miss it a little.

Something about those 414's...nice guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-06-2019, 08:36 AM

I did just that a month or two ago. I sold a Martin OM-21 on Reverb and then emailed the buyer asking if wouldn’t mind selling it back to me. He was very gracious about it and sent it back. File under: ‘Sometimes you don’t know what you got till it’s gone’.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t repurchased a departed instrument, however I purchased a Goodall TROM this year and the previous owner asked to buy it back. It was a great guitar, but I already owned a similar guitar & was happy to oblige. I sold it back to him for what I originally paid him.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Ah c’mon you guys are kidding right? Someone on this forum would actually SELL a guitar? [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
...File under: ‘Sometimes you don’t know what you got till it’s gone’.
Exactly.......
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Thought this thread would be about people that left Collings to go back to Martin, or from people who left Eastman - or others - to go back t o Gibson after all..That would have interested me a lot more...
I never bought back a guitar I sold...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
Thought this thread would be about people that left Collings to go back to Martin, or from people who left Eastman - or others - to go back t o Gibson after all..That would have interested me a lot more....
Sorry Bernie. I guess it's true that you can't please all the people all the time...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 PM

I traded in my Hofner archtop from the early 1980s to fund a Martin CEO-7. Now, one and a half years later the Hofner guitar is still hanging in the shop and I am starting to feel sorry for it [emoji33]
Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

sigh.......that opens a painful "wound"

I rescued a damaged Martin 000-15. Restored it and absolutely loved it. It sounded amazing.

But, I didn't like the narrow nut and so I sold it off. I missed it and bought a different Martin 15. It was OK but just didn't sound as amazing as the rough-and-tumble model I had restored.

So I sold it and tracked down my old one and bought it back.

So, yes that one left and then came home.......

But then I had to sell it again.

And I wonder if I made a mistake again.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sorry Bernie. I guess it's true that you can't please all the people all the time...
No worry, I was just curious to know if such thread existed basically...
It surprises me a lot that people would sell guitars that they love : never do it again unless you really have to...If I'd sell a guitar, it would mean I'm not fond of it and then, that it's not exceptional : other guitars in the same price range would do then, so I'd try to get something closer to my needs or preferences...

Best of luck though with your new ex ...You might not have starved enough for that one at the time you got it..Sometimes we are not quite aware of how good is what we've got till we compare with equivalent things....It's better to take one's time, and make sure we are doing right, wether buying or selling...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion