The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin

Just sort of a conversational thread here - not looking for anything specific:

So a guy I know has a forty year old Martin 00-18C. I finally played it - actually about a month or so ago. I've heard all the talk about Martin's nylon string guitars just not having it, especially from classical players. Well, it doesn't have it if you're looking to play classical. But if you're looking to do other things like sing or maybe play ragtime or blues... it's got it!

I was really impressed. After selling an Alvarez/Yairi a few months ago, I'm back to gassing for a nylon string Martin - probably an old 00-16c or 18c, though I know there are some newer 000 sized ones and also the older more traditionally shaped classicals.

Anyone playing these Martins? Not much talk on here about them.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 AM

Hi Chuck

I owned a 1966 Martin 00-28C (1984 to 2010) nylon string guitar. Nice well made guitar, but it just didn't have it for classical fingerstyle playing. The reason I sold it, my guitar teacher has an Alvarez Yairi CY 116 and I was floored by the sound that came out of that guitar compared to the Martin. I did put a shadow pickup on it that helped some.

This helped the "pain" of selling it: bought it in 1984 for $450, sold it on ebay this past spring for $2400.

I do have Alvarez Yairi guitars now.

Tom C.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM

I have had a 1956 00-18G for a year now. It is a great sounding guitar, sweet trebles and bone rattling bass. No I don't play classical but a friend who does played some on it and it sounded heavenly. I play a mix of folkie to rock to oldtime, Dylan to Dead to Prine to Petty to CSN&Y, lots of stuff that seems very well suited for the 00-18G. In your search for a Martin nylon keep the G series in mind which preceded the C. From what I've read they have an edge in sound quality over the C series. I think the Gs were discontinued around 1963-4 when the C series was introduced.

Peter
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM

Gruhn Guitars & Elderly Instruments & Gryphon Stringed Instruments all have used Martin Nylon string guitars in stock right now. I have never heard a negative report about a Martin nylon string. Everyone that I have ever heard play one, has sounded great. They seem to be in need of saving now as a lot of people buy the Brazillian rosewood models and have them converted to steel sting.

I used to own a Yairi CY140 & have played several examples of this model as well as the CY116. I really like them alot. Unfortunately, I can't play the standard wide/non radiused true classical neck. I had to sell mine & now only play crossover style guitars.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
Hi Chuck

I owned a 1966 Martin 00-28C (1984 to 2010) nylon string guitar. Nice well made guitar, but it just didn't have it for classical fingerstyle playing. The reason I sold it, my guitar teacher has an Alvarez Yairi CY 116 and I was floored by the sound that came out of that guitar compared to the Martin. I did put a shadow pickup on it that helped some.

This helped the "pain" of selling it: bought it in 1984 for $450, sold it on ebay this past spring for $2400.

I do have Alvarez Yairi guitars now.

Tom C.
Tom,

You're flip flopping me. I sold a Yairi CY116. Now I want the Martin.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petespix View Post
I have had a 1956 00-18G for a year now. It is a great sounding guitar, sweet trebles and bone rattling bass. No I don't play classical but a friend who does played some on it and it sounded heavenly. I play a mix of folkie to rock to oldtime, Dylan to Dead to Prine to Petty to CSN&Y, lots of stuff that seems very well suited for the 00-18G. In your search for a Martin nylon keep the G series in mind which preceded the C. From what I've read they have an edge in sound quality over the C series. I think the Gs were discontinued around 1963-4 when the C series was introduced.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I will. I think the G series guitars run a bit higher in price, but I'll be looking.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Thanks Peter, I will. I think the G series guitars run a bit higher in price, but I'll be looking.
I scored mine for $xxx last year. Not pristine as the seller claimed but in pretty decent shape. Be both patient and persistent.

Peter
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM

I've got a '60 00-18G and a '68 00-18C. The G is a better sounding guitar by a fair margin. The C has a much more modern neck profile, however. The C sounds fine for strumming folk tunes. Certainly neither is a "classical" guitar.

These were virtually give aways not many years ago. I've had these about 10 years, and have very little in the pair(and the '60 is about as clean as any 50 year old guitar could be). Looks like the market has improved a bit.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Default Martin 00-16C For Sale

I've got a 1968 Martin 00-16C for sale. I posted the particulars and pics on my blog just last night. I'm not a dealer (so I think it's OK to post and talk about it in this forum).

I bought the guitar in 2006, and the guitar had been owned by a little old lady from Connecticut (seriously), and kept in storage under her bed since the early 1970′s. The tone is rich, and the guitar is in fantastic shape- especially when you consider it’s 43 years old!

Here's the link.

Feel free to email me here.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

I should have posted a while back. I picked up a `59 00-18G before the holidays off eBay. It's a beater and came at a beater price. I love it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical