The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Default NGD: Guild GAD M120, but will it stay?

I was extremely happy to pick up a Guild GAD M-120 off eBay for $400 shipped. The box arrived in great shape and was packed exceedingly well. Never bought an acoustic online before. I've seen the horror stories. But I did my homework, I asked questions. All-solid wood, no scratches. Cool.

But when I opened it up, my heart sank. The case was missing a latch, and it wasn't disclosed in the listing, nor was it apparent in the photos. There were also markings along the edge. With the seller describing the guitar as very good with "nary a scratch," and a second edit emphasizing there are no scratches, I was disappointed, to say the least. But I'm not a collector. I can manage.

But upon closer inspection....bridge lift.

Took it to my luthier. Also very dry wood. Now I'm looking at $100 in repairs+tax aside from the planned setup. The seller suggested the damage occurred during transit, but the box is completely fine, and the guitar was shipped in a hardshell case.

The guitar plays very nice and I like the tone, so what do I do? Let the seller file and make a claim with UPS to cover the repairs? Do I make him take a return through eBay?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I'd say ask the seller to pay for any repair costs, and if they refuse send it back for a refund. Even at $500 (the price you paid + repairs) that would be a solid price for that guitar but you still shouldn't have to eat those costs. Seems likely the bridge lift did not happen during shipping considering the seller failed to disclose the other issues.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:59 PM

I owned a Guild GAD-M20E and it was every bit as good as my Guild M-20 that I own now. I purchased 2 Guild M-120s and for whatever reason returned them. I'm curious is yours a Westerly Collection version or not? I think the previous versions were notorious for having issues. Ebay can be a bit tricky but if you can return it then that would be the best route.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 PM

I totally agree that the seller should reimburse you. File a complaint. You will not get anything from filing with UPS since the box was not visibly damaged. If it did happen in transit, it's more likely the seller did not pack it sufficiently. Hopefully you used paypal. They generally side with the buyer unless it's obviously not their fault.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Another vote for returning it, too much wrong that just wouldn't happen during shipment. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

That bridge looks as though someone tried a home remedy which didn't work in the long term and the bridge continued to lift (ragged glue edges).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

There are many used GAD Guilds out there...

Have the seller take it back, return shipping paid as well!

There are various on line markets now,Ebay,CL ,here and others.

In my experience , more sellers seem to not disclose the true condition of their products.

I have closed my Ebay account and am now more wary that ever when purchasing.

As they say"Buyer Beware"

EGADS!!:
(pun intended).
Old 08-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Default I think the guitar just got hot.

It looks like heat damage to me. The bridge and the spots in the finish. Left in an enclosed space this time of year (Like a delivery truck) the heat can really build up and the glue holding the bridge down liquefies at around 140 degrees, and softens lower than that. You can send it back or fix it, for $100 to fix, that will still be cheap for a GAD M120. I used to have a GAD M120CE, and I really liked it, but eventually I just had too many guitars and had to sell it. I sold it for $600 & shipping. Still have 2 Guilds though, and think only Blueridges are as good as a GAD at that price point.
Guild D-140CE
Luna Art Nouveau
Blueridge BR140
Schecter Diamond Series S1+
Michael Kelly MKD52CE
Michael Kelly Forte Port
Yamaha FG-160-1
Alvarez AD60 etc..
Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, the seller had pics of the guitar on Ebay, right? I've never seen a guitar on Ebay for sale that didn't have pretty good pics. Did any of this stuff show up in the original pictures?
Guild D-140CE
Luna Art Nouveau
Blueridge BR140
Schecter Diamond Series S1+
Michael Kelly MKD52CE
Michael Kelly Forte Port
Yamaha FG-160-1
Alvarez AD60 etc..
Old 08-19-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComesATime View Post
Never bought an acoustic online before....
That's too bad you got that one! I've bought all my acoustics online, without complaint!

But yeah, if that bridge lift was not disclosed, then the guitar you received is "not as described," and that photo should prove your case. I'd return it to the seller via ebay for a full refund. I don't know, but you may have to pay for return shipping. As mentioned, there are plenty of great Guild M120s out there...

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That bridge looks as though someone tried a home remedy which didn't work in the long term and the bridge continued to lift (ragged glue edges).
Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. My luthier told me it looked subtle, and while it's not immediate, it's definitely getting there. He said it may have been an honest oversight in his opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
There are many used GAD Guilds out there...

Have the seller take it back, return shipping paid as well!

There are various on line markets now,Ebay,CL ,here and others.

In my experience , more sellers seem to not disclose the true condition of their products.

I have closed my Ebay account and am now more wary that ever when purchasing.

As they say"Buyer Beware"

EGADS!!:
(pun intended).
Ah, unfortunately. I looked through the photos and asked questions as well. He told me there were no scratches or marks on the guitar, but looking back, what I thought were light reflections are the marks I'm seeing on the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtergod View Post
It looks like heat damage to me. The bridge and the spots in the finish. Left in an enclosed space this time of year (Like a delivery truck) the heat can really build up and the glue holding the bridge down liquefies at around 140 degrees, and softens lower than that. You can send it back or fix it, for $100 to fix, that will still be cheap for a GAD M120. I used to have a GAD M120CE, and I really liked it, but eventually I just had too many guitars and had to sell it. I sold it for $600 & shipping. Still have 2 Guilds though, and think only Blueridges are as good as a GAD at that price point.
There's no good photo of the bridge, so I can't quite see if the bridge is lifting in the listing. The case had no photo of the broken latch (almost as if it was purposefully left out), and the seller reiterated multiple times that there were no marks. At this point, I can't be sure where the damage occured because I don't know that I can trust him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtergod View Post
Just out of curiosity, the seller had pics of the guitar on Ebay, right? I've never seen a guitar on Ebay for sale that didn't have
pretty good pics. Did any of this stuff show up in the original pictures?
As I mentioned in the reply above, I thought the marks on the edges were light reflections after the seller stated multiple times there were no marks. The guitar is a high-gloss finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
That's too bad you got that one! I've bought all my acoustics online, without complaint!

But yeah, if that bridge lift was not disclosed, then the guitar you received is "not as described," and that photo should prove your case. I'd return it to the seller via ebay for a full refund. I don't know, but you may have to pay for return shipping. As mentioned, there are plenty of great Guild M120s out there...
That's the plan. It's very unfortunate because it sounds really nice.

$440 guitar becomes $640 guitar after the repairs/setup (plus I'll have to drill out the old rivets on the case latch to replace them and buy a riveting tool). I expected the setup, so that wasn't a big deal, but everything else, well...

If I get stuck paying return shipping, I'll just hold off in that case. It's just a lot of unexpected extra money to be out when it wasn't disclosed.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm kelt View Post
Another vote for returning it, too much wrong that just wouldn't happen during shipment. Good luck.
Yeah. If it was upfront, that's one thing. Honest mistakes can happen, and overlooking the bridge lift can be an honest mistake. But adding in the other undisclosed marks and the broken latch, it's just adding up to a negative picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I totally agree that the seller should reimburse you. File a complaint. You will not get anything from filing with UPS since the box was not visibly damaged. If it did happen in transit, it's more likely the seller did not pack it sufficiently. Hopefully you used paypal. They generally side with the buyer unless it's obviously not their fault.
The box looks fine. Some small marks, but nothing that's indicative of any type of hard drop or hit. It was packed at a UPS store with copious amounts of bubblewrap of varying thicknesses, so I think it was just undisclosed. Plus, if the latch broke in transit, it would have been in the box. I pulled out all the bubble paper, went through it to make sure it wasn't tucked in, shined a flashlight, and practically squeezed myself into the box to make sure it wasn't stuck anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
I owned a Guild GAD-M20E and it was every bit as good as my Guild M-20 that I own now. I purchased 2 Guild M-120s and for whatever reason returned them. I'm curious is yours a Westerly Collection version or not? I think the previous versions were notorious for having issues. Ebay can be a bit tricky but if you can return it then that would be the best route.
Mine was pre-Cordoba. It was the Guild M-120 from around 2012 when Fender still owned it. My understanding is that the only difference between the M-120 and the M-120E of that time was the electronics. The newer Cordoba-owned Guild M120s (I believe beginning around 2014) are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I'd say ask the seller to pay for any repair costs, and if they refuse send it back for a refund. Even at $500 (the price you paid + repairs) that would be a solid price for that guitar but you still shouldn't have to eat those costs. Seems likely the bridge lift did not happen during shipping considering the seller failed to disclose the other issues.
That's the plan and the thought process. I like the guitar a lot, but it's just a lot to overlook.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion