The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Default "Acoustic Avenues" TV Video series

I've had a little project over the past few months working with a local TV station to produce a TV show focused on acoustic music that might be of interest to some here. It's been a fun exercise where I get to use the studio space and lots of nice gear, as well as work with a crew to shoot the videos. The show only airs on local cable, but we get videos that the musicians are free to use, and I also have created a you tube channel featuring some of the tunes from the shows.

The channel can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqs...5PwHRUVm_6ogsw

If anyone's in the Bay Area and would be interested in being on a show, let me know, and I can tell you more about how it works.

Here's a couple of individual tunes from shows we've done so far (more on the channel linked above):

"StringSongs": Tim Farrell, Chris Garcia, Michael Manring

Bev Barnett & Greg Newlon
Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Nice! Really looking forward to checking these out on my lunch break. 👍
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 08-27-2019, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

VERY nice! Really well-done.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 08-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Very cool stuff Doug! Thanks for the heads-up! Great work!

- Glenn
Old 08-28-2019, 09:13 PM

Stringsongs is hella tight....Dang

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 08-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Doug biggest shame of watchng this is there is a guy and a gal who do songs together and they are pretty darn good.

But 2 YOUTUBE views? Really after over a year?

It put a knot in my stomach

The guitar player is great. Wish that dude with the big guitar lived near me? Man what I could do with an ace acoustic guitarist here in Los Angeles...Actually 2 would be better....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 08-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Doug biggest shame of watchng this is there is a guy and a gal who do songs together and they are pretty darn good.

But 2 YOUTUBE views? Really after over a year?

It put a knot in my stomach

The guitar player is great. Wish that dude with the big guitar lived near me? Man what I could do with an ace acoustic guitarist here in Los Angeles...Actually 2 would be better....
It has been interested to see, since this is a little different from my experience posting my own videos. I have enough subscribers that my own videos generally get some views fairly quickly. These are "cold posts" on a new channel, and they get no real attention, apparently they don't just turn up in you tube searches at this point.

However, it hasn't been a year, the earliest videos were posted in May, so only3-4 months, and they were actually private most of that time. I was waiting to get some critical mass of content on the channel to start sharing it, so really they've been up only a short time, and I haven't done anything beyond this post to let people know about them yet. Still, it's interesting to see the (non) discovery process!

I suspect you're referring to HobbyHorse, that's Phil Campell. He used to work at Gryphon and teaches pretty much full time in the bay area. Really good, versatile player. I didn't post a sample of theirs:

Old 08-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Stringsongs is hella tight....Dang
That was their first performance as a group - rehearsed the day before. But Tim and Michael have played together, and Michael and Chris have played together, so that probably helped.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Doug biggest shame of watchIng this is there is a guy and a gal who do songs together and they are pretty good. 2 YOUTUBE views? lOVESONG OR SOMETHING?

It put a knot in my stomach TO SEE A WHOPPING 2 VIEWS AND SUCH TALENT

God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 11-06-2019, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

I just posted some videos from a new show in this series, featuring the duo of guitar/vocalist Dan Frechette and amazing fiddler/vocalist Laurel Thomsen.

Here's a couple of tunes from their session:

Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 AM

Absolutely GREAT stuff. Thanks so much for sharing all that, and you're so lucky to have had the chance of working on such a project.

I'm no longer posting my own videos/music on here. It took me next to no time after I joined to realise that I was batting WAAAYYYYYY out of my league, and THIS has just reinforced that realisation! lol

Nowadays, I'll just sit back and enjoy listening to all the wonderful stuff like this I'm seeing posted by the members of AGF. Well done again.

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String
Old 11-06-2019, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. Saved the link for later viewing
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Well those low view numbers are par for the course. Attracting views/listens is a complex subject that I haven't spent enough time pursuing myself. Excellence of playing is a tree-fall in the empty forest kind of thing.

If one does a "how to" or a "equipment demo/review," searches will find it. There are no search algorithms for "well played and recorded acoustic music."

I played a bit over half of the videos this morning. A nice range of stuff, which pleases my eclectic heart. My impression of the sound quality is that it is very good. You, and those that work with you should be proud. I'd reduce the reverb one or two of those I played, but that me and my tastes, which are not to relied on.

Of the things I watched, the one that I'd personally come back for more of was StringSongs. I'm a huge Steve Tibbetts/Marc Anderson fan, and other than lacking screaming electric guitar "Echoes of Ages" got right to that style. I was only aware of Michael Manring before, but all three musicians contributed so nicely to that piece. Extra kudos on the recording quality on that one too: perfect.

That preference too is also not to be relied on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'd reduce the reverb one or two of those I played, but that me and my tastes, which are not to relied on.
Probably Sam Johnson's clips. Artist's choice :-) He wanted tons of reverb and echo in the monitors while performing, which bled into everything, so there was no changing it in the mix, which was fine with him.

There have been lots of learning opportunities with these projects, which is what keeps it interesting.

Last edited by Doug Young; 11-06-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Probably Sam Johnson's clips. Artist's choice :-) He wanted tons of reverb and echo in the monitors while performing, which blend into everything, so there was no changing it in the mix, which was fine with him.

There have been lots of learning opportunities with these projects, which is what keeps it interesting.
I wondered about just that, in that it seems so intentionally heavy on the cut of his I watched. For all I know, some/many/more listeners like that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell