The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-28-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Not a guitar-based song, but still worth hearing

Here's a little-known song that came to mind was I was catching up with other threads here this morning. One thread about broadening one's listening beyond guitar music and the other was talking about GlennWillow's performance of a Gordon Lightfoot song "Restless."

Lightfoot's "Restless" has a line that drops in the title of a soap opera unexpectedly, but another that talks about migrating geese. This song by Bill Fay (his two 21st century LPs are so under-rated IMHO) keeps the geese but adds a janitor. There are other Fay songs that mention custodial type work, and I think it's possible that he may have written from experience there.

No guitar on this recording at all, but the chord progression is simple--effective in it's simplicity I think. It can easily be played on guitar, and although Fay's arrangement and weathered voice are very effective, a purer voice and just solo acoustic guitar would probably work too. I do play it on guitar, but my voice can't convey it well.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN