The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Default Zoom h2 help

Hey,
So I'm on a mission tomorrow to record an album I have been sitting on for a long time. Its 10 original songs. I have the place picked out, new strings, and the right mindset to get this done. Im no expert on the zoom though. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone can give me a rundown as far as settings and where to place it (how far, how high) I will be playing acoustic guitar and singing. I just want the best possible recording I can get with it. THANK YOU
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM

I have an H2 and have played around with it to get a good sound, but I am by no means a pro. There are several variables that you'll to experiment with until you get a feel for the sound that's being recorded. Here are some things to think about.

1) A good room makes a huge difference.
2) Use the H2 menus to choose a non-MP3 format with a fairly high resolution.
3) Use the H2 menus to choose a microphone "layout" (front, back, front and back, etc).
4) Put the H2 on an adjustable stand. You'll have to play around with the height, distance, placement and mic orientation in space.
5) You'll have to play around with the H2's mic sensitivity setting.

I find that when I play my guitar and sing, the H2 is on a medium setting, about 30" equidistant from my mouth and the 12th fret of my guitar, and is angled slightly more toward my mouth.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD