The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Default whats the best capo for acoustic guitar w/ steel strings

g7th performance or shubb or planet wave ns dual action?

is the 7th worth the extra dough?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about the G7th capo... never actually used one though.
My capo of choice is the Dunlop 71S Elastic... great price too!
http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-71S.../dp/B0007WLWMG

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandud View Post

G7th is nice. I like Shubbs too. I use this now, and it is stupid expensive, but I like the looks of it, and the ease of storing it behind the nut when I'm not using it.

Elliot Capo's

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 02-07-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM

I have both Shubb, G7 and the Planet Waves.
Scubb is best for me, I keep it set for a specific guitar and rarely adjust it. Had it over 20 years.
G7 if using open tuning with less tension, but planet waves is just as good and almost as easy to set up, maybe easier.
G7 tends to buzz more. I'm sure it is me setting it too light, but never have to worry about setting the Shubb or planet waves.

If I could only buy one, Shubb.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
Scubb is best for me, I keep it set for a specific guitar and rarely adjust it. If I could only buy one, Shubb.
As newsy said.....Shubb seems to be the one I come back to. I've had (or have) Keyser, Dunlop Trigger, Hamilton, #2 Pencil and rubber bands, the old fabric Dunlops, et all....never had the G7 or Ned S, but out of the ones I have used, the Shubb always works the best. The key (as n-w said) is to have it set for one guitar. Good quality unit.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 PM

I have no experience with the G7th (sounds like they are heavy though - I'd be afraid it would destroy my guitar if it slipped out of my hand and fell on my gutiar!). Some people seem to like this capo a lot, others not so much.

I really like my Shubb capos.

I also have a Planet Waves dual action. I don't like this as well for normal playing, but it is fantastic if you have to make fast capo changes (e.g. between pieces) while performing. It is very easy to operate one-handed, while the Shubb is harder (but not impossible) to put on the guitar one-handed.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandud View Post

Hi RKD...

First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined…

I like the Planet Waves NS for a normal capo. Shubb can be adjusted for the second fret and if you don't back off the tension enough and run it up to the 3-5th frets and reclamp it you will dent the neck. I've seen it many times...

The Planet Waves NS black aluminum is easy to use, has a great upper bumper (appropriately soft and solid) and nice behind-the-neck support system.

Any of them work to a degree and none is perfect. My McKinny/Elliot comes closest to perfect, but does not come in cut capo configurations (which I use a lot).

I love my McKinny/Elliott and since it was made specifically for my best guitar and customized to it's dimensions, it's no better on my other guitars than the Planet Waves.

I took about 25 capos to a conference last week where one session I led was on capos and cut capos, and the Shubbs never got out of the box.

G7th are good, but not any better at what they do than the Planet Waves NS. If you need to get capos off/on in a hurry then the Planet Waves Dual Action are great. They are the capo Kyser should have built - adjustable spring and handle points downward.

Lastly, you might want to consider the Paige which is similar in design to the McKinny/Elliott and is a "U'' under neck capo which can be stored above the nut when not in use (unless the Volute on your guitar is in the way).

Planet Waves NS --> Paige -->Planet Waves NS --> McKinny/Elliott

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Larry,

1. I think I might be trying out a Planet Waves NS at some point. Looks good.

2. I am so impressed by how you very patiently write such nice thorough responses (complete with photos) to questions like this that have been asked many many times before on the forum (and that you have replied to before). This sort of helpfulness is what makes this forum so great.

(In contrast, folks on the Flickr photography forums tend to get irate when people ask repeat questions - I have always found those sorts of responses unpleasant and uncalled for).
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Larry,

1. I think I might be trying out a Planet Waves NS at some point. Looks good.

2. I am so impressed by how you very patiently write such nice thorough responses (complete with photos) to questions like this that have been asked many many times before on the forum (and that you have replied to before). This sort of helpfulness is what makes this forum so great.

(In contrast, folks on the Flickr photography forums tend to get irate when people ask repeat questions - I have always found those sorts of responses unpleasant and uncalled for).
Hi wcap...
Thanks for the kind things you said. I love to help...and I love to teach. Questions are a part of learning, and hopefully here at AGF we are a community not just a resource.

And when I was new, people directly answering my questions and interacting was what kept me coming back.

I like the Planet Waves NS as a good solid, affordable, durable capo. Don't know if they will last as long as a Shubb (in total years), but I feel they put the control over the tension in the hands of the player every time.

There is just no way to move it up the neck and over tighten a Planet Waves NS to the point it will mar the finish or dent the back of the neck on a guitar.

The same could be said for the G7th, but it's not as good a fit for every guitar out there, and it does require the extra step of reaching over and pinching the ends to seat it every time.

Something people forget is the neck is rounded and the 6th string is 5 times thicker than the first string. So to design a capo which parallels the camber of my neck, and presses all the strings equally is very hard to do (I think it's probably near impossible).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM

thanks so much

guess ill try the planet waves NS dual action. much better price anyways
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Thumbs up

I have only been playing since August, and decided to ask for a capo for Christmas. I knew I wanted a trigger-style capo for ease of use, so I started doing some research. Luckily just before asking, I saw a similar review Larry posted of the Planet Waves dual-action trigger capo. I asked for it, received it, and love it...thanks Larry!

Granted, it's my first and only capo, but I haven't yet found a reason to own another.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyEDB View Post
I have only been playing since August, and decided to ask for a capo for Christmas. I knew I wanted a trigger-style capo for ease of use, so I started doing some research. Luckily just before asking, I saw a similar review Larry posted of the Planet Waves dual-action trigger capo. I asked for it, received it, and love it...thanks Larry!

Granted, it's my first and only capo, but I haven't yet found a reason to own another.

sleepy
Hi Sleepy...
Glad it is working for you.

One of the men on our Worship Team has an ancient Kyser, and at rehearsal last night, I began feeding him capos, and ultimately the one which fit his neck and worked/sounded best was a G7th.

That was including both Planet Waves and a Shubb, and finally the G7th. I oversaw the application of them, and listened with him.

My point is, capos are not created equal, just like guitar necks. Because a capo works well on one guitar doesn't mean it works equally well for all guitars.

One of my spare G7ths has found a home in his case for the time being. I discovered I actually have 3 not 2 of them anyway.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 AM

The Paige and the Elliot capos are both easily storable on Martin V-style necks, which do have volutes.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
The Paige and the Elliot capos are both easily storable on Martin V-style necks, which do have volutes.
Hi jw...
But not on many others. It's a guitar by guitar thing.

I don't store them there anyway. I prefer not to put something above the nut and then tighten it, because that affects intonation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Yep, I can only speak for Martin Vintage Series necks.

I can also say that the capos stay stored on my guitars without the need to tighten them (volute or no volute). If my electronic tuners are a good indication, a nut-stored capo makes no difference. If my tuners are not a good indication, well then I'm playing out of tune anyway.

If you have a guitar that has intonation problems storing the capo behind the nut, you could try storing the capo on the nut. That would alleviate intonation issues, but may introduce tuning nuances.

I used to spend too much time looking for my capo. Once, I arrived at a bluegrass jam to find I had forgotten my capo - and I was the only guitar player. That sucked. On my way home that day, I bought a Paige and I have never had to look for my capo again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write