The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Bending poplar

I really like poplar. I like working with it, and I find the grain pretty. I’m wondering if anyone’s bent poplar sides for a guitar( what was the experience like/ things to look out for). What I’ve gotten through research is that it’s definitely not the best wood for guitars(given it’s a soft hard wood), but it can be used(back and sides). Any information anyone has on it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM

I have some sets but have not gotten around to using it yet. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

I built a tulip magnolia (poplar) guitar a few years ago. I had no issues bending. The guitar sounds great, and I sold it some time back. The top of the guitar was made from Catalpa. I named the guitar “the Magcat”.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Thanks. I found myself coming here often, so I thought I might as well make an acc. If you ever get around too it let me know how it goes.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Its also good to hear that it bent well. I'm getting ready to make my first guitar. I just finished making my mold and template. I'm trying to make a Taylor gs min clone. I figured poplar would be a cheap first wood that easy too work with. Taylor made a guitar out of it before, and i thought it sounded nice. I think I'm going to uses a cherry neck. Ive always liked cherry trees. Its also a good neck wood too my knowledge. Might be a little heavy though. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair