The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 PM

I've played and owned a couple of them
I have found them to have really nice necks
And I like the way they are built,but,I have also
Found them to be a little thin,but as guitars can be different
Ymmv
Dave
Old 08-19-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

I've had 9-10 Yairis through the years, and all were good to outstanding guitars except for one dud (a DY-53N, a rare and beautiful dud).

I currently have two. My DY-74 from 1976 had a hard life before it came to me. But I baby it now, and love it. It has a nice chunky neck and rings like a bell. It is a D-28- style guitar, but brighter than the Martin. Bulletproof too. I put a K&K in it several years ago, and play it at the local open mic- the sound guy loves it. Somewhere along the way it got a set of gold Grover tuners and looks very classy.

The other I bought recently, a 1981 DY-57, and paid too much for it, but I felt sorry for it as it had been neglected. Brought it home, cleaned it up, and put a nice Holter P/G on it (thanks, Taylor!). Turned out to be a honey of a guitar. Again, a nice chunky neck. This is a mahogany b/s guitar, and will give a D-18 a run for its money. I've really come to like this one.

(Note: I've found that any Yairi with a volute on it will have a neck that is on the chunky side, which suits me perfectly.)

Thanks for reviving an old thread and giving me a chance to talk about my old Yairis. Great guitars!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I've had 9-10 Yairis through the years, and all were good to outstanding guitars except for one dud (a DY-53N, a rare and beautiful dud).

I currently have two. My DY-74 from 1976 had a hard life before it came to me. But I baby it now, and love it. It has a nice chunky neck and rings like a bell. It is a D-28- style guitar, but brighter than the Martin. Bulletproof too. I put a K&K in it several years ago, and play it at the local open mic- the sound guy loves it. Somewhere along the way it got a set of gold Grover tuners and looks very classy.

The other I bought recently, a 1981 DY-57, and paid too much for it, but I felt sorry for it as it had been neglected. Brought it home, cleaned it up, and put a nice Holter P/G on it (thanks, Taylor!). Turned out to be a honey of a guitar. Again, a nice chunky neck. This is a mahogany b/s guitar, and will give a D-18 a run for its money. I've really come to like this one.

(Note: I've found that any Yairi with a volute on it will have a neck that is on the chunky side, which suits me perfectly.)

Thanks for reviving an old thread and giving me a chance to talk about my old Yairis. Great guitars!
I have a '78 DY74. also had a hard life before it came to me, but it's been well cared for since. had some frets replaced a new nut about 5 years ago. I've replaced the tuning heads twice, both times with grovers. it's on it's 3rd UST, the newest is a fishman infinity. the last two just wore out, over the years and started to get unreliable.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:56 AM

I found my Yairi in a pawn shop in the late 90's, never heard of it, but it was the best sounding acoustic in there massive acoustic section. I paid $300 for it. I still play it. Sometimes gig it.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 AM

The one I found was a Dy40 1980 in almost mint condition. 375ishhh. Looking at eBay that’s about the going rate. I must just go back and get it.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Wow! This thread is nearly 15 years old.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mr. Yairi earned his legendary status. "Nuff said.

sm
Old 08-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Mr. Yairi earned his legendary status. "Nuff said.

sm
Yup. Fantastic guitars. My cedar top dy-50 has been getting a ton of play lately.

Reverb pricing is getting ridiculous though. I'm sweating a couple of those to come back down to earth so I can buy one of them.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM

I am obviously a big fan and have been for quite some time
Old 08-19-2019, 05:01 PM

I've got an '86 DY-66 which I acquired in a trade back in 1987. After having owned Gibson, Martin and Taylor, I can say confidently that this is the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever owned; maple back & sides with a cedar top...
Old 08-19-2019, 07:36 PM

I purchased a new Alvarez Yairi FYM66HD about 6 months ago. It took me about 2 months to pull the trigger. I looked at a lot of guitars, including a Martin CEO-7 that is about the same price range as the Yairi. But I kept feeling drawn back to the Yairi. It's made with 50 year old Honduran Mahogany that Mr. Yairi had stashed on a lot and was "discovered" after his death. The Martin was a really nice guitar, but frankly the Yairi feels like a very "special" guitar. I don't know if it was the story behind the wood that attracted me the most, but frankly this guitar is as close to perfect as I can imagine a guitar being. I have a dozen or so guitars in the house, including a Gibson J-45 & Martin D-15 custom. But the Yairi is clearly the nicest of any of them, and it is the first one I will pickup to play. I have to decide I want to play the others, I don't have to think about it with the Yairi, it's my automatic go-to guitar.

I do also have an Alvarez MPA70, a Masterworks line Parlor guitar. It is also very nice, and very different than the Yairi tonally as it's WIR b/s and Sitka Spruce top, and it's a shorter scale neck, so it's my change up from the Yairi. I really think the Masterwork Alvarez guitars are an excellent option for those who don't have access or the money to buy a Yairi. The quality difference is there, but it's not that significant. The Alvarez is only marginally the lesser of the two guitars. For the price difference, I'd have no hesitation recommending a Masterworks Alvarez, and the Artist series is an exceptional value as well. We've got an Alvarez dreadnaught (it's my wife's) in the Artist series, and it's an amazing guitar for the ~$200 it cost to buy used.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Cool Take a GOOD Look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand61 View Post
I can only find the Alvarez lower line in my area that sounds pretty good for its price range, their catalogue is beautiful and the Yairi line looks great .... how much do they go for?
I would (and have) urged folks to check out what Alvarez is doing right now with their acoustics... I've played four models over the past year and have been KNOCKED OUT by them... certainly not my Goodall or either of my Mark Angus guitars, but REALLY nice guitars, especially for the $$$!

Two to take a real good look at are their Masterworks (?) dreadnought and folk model (basically an OM). Beautifully finsihed and built on the classic D-18 platform; solid mahogany back and sides, solid spruce tops, Waverly open-gear tuners, herringbone purfling... no electronics at all, just two amazing guitars for $599, including a really attractive hard-shell case (ivory with burgundy piping...

It's just difficult to believe that a guitar that nice can be had for that money...

The sound of either is GLORIOUS! Even brand-spanking new, unplaed, hasn't figured out it's a guitar yet... amazing tone, volume (especially from that dreadnought), fit and finish excellent...

Those two guitar can hang with any newer Martin I've played... for less than 1/4 of the price. Might need a tweak or a set-up, but these are serious acoustic instruments.

My local store here, Bullfrog Music started carrying Alvarez last year, and I've had the chnace to play a bunch of these... What I've heard is that Alvarez started doing something different with the bracing... whatever, it shows up in the guitars that I've played.

Check 'em out, and Happy Hunting!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 AM

Thank you for reviving this zombie thread and letting a new round of Yairi fans chime in!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Yairi

I’ve had quite a few of the older Yairis. Definitely some of my favorites. Here is my 1982 DY79 Country Western Jumbo it has a great neck and really booms. It’s a keeper....

https://imgur.com/gallery/fdTErwe
Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 AM

My first classical guitar was a beautiful figured mahogany Yairi CY-116. Purchased brand new in 1986 for $379 with a case. I still have it and its still an excellent guitar! R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion