The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 04:46 AM

Default Recording King Ros 10 Neck/Tone Compared to G6 M9m Ez Tone

Could anyone chip in their thoughts on the neck profiles of the Ros 10 the G6 M9m and ez tone series? I mainly finger pick although I actually enjoy a thinner neck in depth or thickness. Width is not so important although still valid. I have small hands and enjoy the comforts of a thinner neck in depth?

What are your guys thoughts on this and the other guitars I mention regarding tone? I've already put a small deposit down on an Ros 10 but the talk of a base ball neck worries me a bit. I own a freshman fa300d and boy the necks more like a cricket bat never mind a baseball bat!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:53 AM

I have an ROS 10, and it does have a thick neck. I have another guitar with a very thin neck, and I have gotten used to both of them over time.

If you think the neck might be too thick, I would definitely try one out first, keeping in mind that it's likely to feel weird at first just because you're not used to it yet.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:59 AM

I have owned the ROS10 for several years. It has the thickest neck I have ever played. I like it, you may or may not. I have medium sized hands.

The EZ tone neck is WAY thinner and the nut width is narrower. To my ears, sounded about the same - very good sounding guitar. I would have bought one when MF had them on sale if not for the 11/16 nut.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix75 View Post
Could anyone chip in their thoughts on the neck profiles of the Ros 10 the G6 M9m and ez tone series? I mainly finger pick although I actually enjoy a thinner neck in depth or thickness. Width is not so important although still valid. I have small hands and enjoy the comforts of a thinner neck in depth?

What are your guys thoughts on this and the other guitars I mention regarding tone? I've already put a small deposit down on an Ros 10 but the talk of a base ball neck worries me a bit. I own a freshman fa300d and boy the necks more like a cricket bat never mind a baseball bat!
Pho,
It’s pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

Aside from the ‘differences’ some may ‘hear’, the bottom line is this: If you don’t feel comfortable playing it, you can’t get ANY tone out of it.

Priorities.

Howard Emerson
Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 AM

Hey thanks. I got the RoH 05 yesterday in the mail. It took me an hour to get used to it and suddenly the sound and feel clicked. I'm using nickel strings light. I am surprised at how beautiful this instrument is. To me more than a guitar particularly for finger picking. There is this beautiful driving throaty growly twang when using hammers ons or pull offs. The neck feels medium to me. Am I missing something here? Are there other guitars that sound as beautiful as this? I honestly have never played anything as musical in my life for so little money.

I think the thicker neck shall be fine and the more string spacing welcome for the r0s 10. IL stick with it. How does the Ros 10 compare to these duty 30,s guitars? Is it still as vintage and growly? I'm considering getting a series 9 as well.

Last edited by Phoenix75; 08-17-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:05 AM

Congratulations on finding a guitar you love. It's even better when it's at a great price. I haven't played the RO5, so I can't compare to its tone versus the ROS 10.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Cheers. Matt how do u find the Ros 10 in playability and tone?'m looking forward to it. My roh 05 creates this lovely focused mid range sound almost drone like when playing open strings..
Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 PM

I checked my recording king label, and it's actually a RO 10. I don't know the difference between them, but I assume they're very similar.

It has a strong tone with a nice balance between lows, mids, and highs. The notes are good sounding, thick and open sounding. And the bass rings out nicely.

Playability is great. String spacing at the saddle is 2 5/16, so there's plenty of room to pick individual strings. Of course, it takes a wider neck to accommodate stings that are more spread out, so the neck can be challenging at first. I got used to it after a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion