The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Hmmm... this did not used to be the case. They were all available before (for quite a few years).

I guess the lesson here is that if you find a great collection like this, download all the pieces that might ever be of interest to you when you can. Websites are not forever.

Incidentally, if you get the full version of TablEdit (not an expensive program), it will read Midi files, which would allow you to make tablature (and standard notation if desired) for these arrangements. You'd likely need to do some editing (moving some notes to different strings) to make tablature that was fully playable, though TablEdit does a pretty good job of creating reasonably playable tablature from the start).
You can take the TablEdit files and import them directly into TuxGuitar (free). You then have many options indluding exporting to Lillypond for professional level printing of the tab. I looks much better than printing directly from TuxGuitar. Of course, you don't need to actually print if you just want to view the resulting pdf on screen.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
You can take the TablEdit files and import them directly into TuxGuitar (free). You then have many options indluding exporting to Lillypond for professional level printing of the tab. I looks much better than printing directly from TuxGuitar. Of course, you don't need to actually print if you just want to view the resulting pdf on screen.
Interesting.
However, the issue here was that the TablEdit files are no longer available on the Beginner and Intermediate page. Importing the midi files into TablEdit would be a partial work around if there was and arrangement that you really loved.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
Please don't misunderstand me... I certainly can appreciate the time and effort that goes into developing the arrangements and creating the tabs that go along with them. I certainly bare them no ill will for preferring to see some income for their efforts. (I currently subscribe to totallyguitars.com and jamplay.com, and find that they are well worth the investment.)

My only point was that if there is no way for anyone to get the tabs, it seems silly to even have them listed on the site. If there was a way for people to register and pay for them, then that would make a lot more sense. Right now, it's just a large list of dead end web links.

It's not really a big deal. I've got more than enough to keep me busy right now. It just looked interesting and I thought it might be one more good resource to keep handy. It's definitely great that the advanced stuff is still there, but I think that might be a little beyond me right at this moment.
I would e-mail him and suggest that you'd be interested in possibly being able to pay to have access. He is a good guy, and would probably appreciate constructive feedback (and a big thank you for all the arrangements that are still available).

As for the oddness of having a big page like that where you can't download any of the tablature files: Well, for quite a few years you could download all those files. I suspect the change is recent. I wonder why he changed it this way.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Interesting.
However, the issue here was that the TablEdit files are no longer available on the Beginner and Intermediate page. Importing the midi files into TablEdit would be a partial work around if there was and arrangement that you really loved.
I forgot that free TuxGuitar also imports MIDI to tab quickly also--which means you can have all the beginner files as tab. You just get the midi files and then import the ones you like. It will take more time but you will have fairly accurate tab for every file if you choose. So in that way, all the music there is still available. UPDATE: Just downloaded the Beginners midi files, took about 2 minutes (slow machine.)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM

When creating tablature from midi files one typically will need to figure out some aspects of the fingerings one's self (but in a program like TablEdit it is easy to shift notes to different strings), but it will still likely be faster than starting from scratch.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM

The same is true for TuxGuitar. You can easily move notes anywhere or instantly transpose everything as you wish. Free.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM

I just Googled TuxGuitar. Looks cool. I already have the full version of TablEdit, but TuxGuitar certainly looks interesting too. Thanks for telling us about it.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:53 AM

Hi everyone,

Hope it´s ok if I ressurect an old thread...

Heres an arrangement, with tabs in the video, that I made for the very beginner of U2´s Still Havent Found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa-bot-OP70

I plan to do more of these videos, but then again, procrastination is a powerful thing

/Zap
Old 12-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Licknriff.com has great finger style arrangements with tabs and instruction
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi dp...

Mark Hanson (Accent On Music dot com) has a lot of well done graded materials for different levels.

Mark is an excellent teacher.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Default free lessons

Hey dirtpilot,

I have posted a few fingerstyle lessons here: https://rickmckeon.com/guitarlessons.html that you might like.

Rick
Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovedCyl View Post
try out this guy... http://www.dancholloway.com/

its not free but you can buy 1 month at a time and pay as you go. he's got a good song list from beginner to advanced.
This guy, Dan Holloway, deserves a bit more highlighting here. His site does not have a forum or anything beyond the lessons. It is simple and straightforward as is his approach to the guitar. Each lesson consists of TAB, performance of the tune, and the lesson talking the player through the tune. In each lesson, his discussion contains a lot of "nuggets" that apply to any other tune. He has a couple of general theory lessons as well, and two lessons on how he puts together his arrangements - one is on a very simple tune, and the other is on a more sophisticated tune. Both of these lessons teach the same approach, so there is a very definite consistency in his approach.

The lessons are divided according to what he considers their difficulty level. The tunes themselves cover a range from folk tunes, some country, a lot of pop tunes, and some Christmas tunes. He adds new lessons at regular intervals (monthly, if not more frequently) and takes requests from subscribers so that the content is relevant to those taking the lessons.

The site is easy to navigate, the lessons clear and "down to earth", very relaxed. What you end up getting is the ability to arrange tunes for yourself, an understanding of the theory behind that effort, and a repertoire in the process. The lessons teach more than just how to "wiggle your fingers" to play the tune, but the process is very relaxed and the learning is mostly through learning tunes and how he put them together.

Many of us, especially those who are self-taught/teaching, seem to make this guitar playing thing way more complicated intellectually than it needs to be (judging by the discussion on these forums). If I were to look for a "live" teacher, it would be somebody like Dan Holloway. I come back to this site periodically just to get back to the simplicity at the core of it all. Holloway's approach is simple, but not at all simplistic (i.e. all the arrangements sound quite good and are worth learning), and his explanations are not the intellectual heady sort of thing, but instead have that laid back "aw heck, just play it" approach that makes for a fun experience while learning what goes into making for good tune playing. Instead of a lot of lessons preparing to eventually play tunes, Holloway has you playing tunes to learn that same material. His lessons cover from very beginner to nicely sophisticated, but they all have his straightforward essence in them. There is a consistency through all of the material.

The way the payments work is this...he uses PayPal and you are set up for automatic monthly payments until you decide to cancel. You create an account, which stays whether you are currently a paying subscriber or not. You pay via PayPal (either via credit card or bank account, depending on how your PayPal account is set up. Then, you pick whatever song you want to learn and go for it. At any time, you can elect to stop payments and your subscription will end at the end of the last month you paid for. He has a link on his site that takes you to whee you need to be on PayPal to do that, along with a clear description of that simple process in his FAQ section. You can subscribe again anytime you want, and leave any time you want. Your account on the site remains. The cost is $12.95 per month, which is very reasonable for what you get. I subscribe for relatively short periods as I feel the need to get back in touch with the straightforward no nonsense approach Holloway has. It is like going on a "guitar retreat" in a sense.

Edit: I see that Holloway now has a beginner's lesson area that is separate from the general fingerstyle tunes section with its own subscription. I have not seen it, since I am not subscribed to it. However, Holloway is responsive if you email him with an questions before you subscribe to anything. During your subscription, you can email him with any questions too.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 01-11-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBadd View Post
Licknriff.com has great finger style arrangements with tabs and instruction
I cant say enough good things about Licknriff. He has more or less supplied me with every newbie tab I have His easy/intermediate tabs are just hard enough to give me something I have to reach for and his lessons are fantastic to someone like me who has zero lessons under his belt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write