The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-18-2019, 04:28 PM

So of course, now the misses wants one of these critters.

Might I assume the clear head is more resistant to humidity changes? (besides looking way cooler)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

Cecil;

I've played a six steel string guitar/banjo, but had no idea there was a nylon out there. Darn you. Also, I looked up this 6--you were fore-sighted to get it when you did.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So of course, now the misses wants one of these critters.

Might I assume the clear head is more resistant to humidity changes? (besides looking way cooler)

Hi Mark.

Almost all banjo (and drum) heads are mylar, so equally resistant to humidity changes. Remo is the dominant supplier.

Tension, texture, and finish (painted, clear) will affect tone. Many people won't notice differences. There is a chart describing each type in the Deering catalog (and maybe website).

Animal skin heads will change tension and tone depending on humidity. Prelonged damp will make them floppy to the point of unplayable.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-18-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Cecil;

I've played a six steel string guitar/banjo, but had no idea there was a nylon out there. Darn you. Also, I looked up this 6--you were fore-sighted to get it when you did.

Nylon/Fluorocarbon strings will work in any banjo because the membrane requires very little energy to vibrate.

The tone will become softer and plunkier. You may need to sift through brands and gauges to get the tone and tension you like.

Feel the posts and edges for rough spots that might wear through plasticky strings, and smooth them with emery paper.

PS. You could ask Gold Tone to install the six string neck on the AC composite rim. Or do it yourself.

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-18-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Hi Mark.

Animal skin heads will change tension and tone depending on humidity. Prelonged damp will make them floppy to the point of unplayable.

Cheers.
Yeah, when she takes her bodhrán from AZ to San Diego it goes "woofy and warbly" in about 24 hours. Unplayable after 2 days.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Hi Evan

Another way to get a short scale AC composite rim banjo if needed is to swap the neck from a Gold Tone five string "A scale" travel banjo.

Experiment with thicker strings to compensate for the shorter scale and get good tone and tension at gDGBD. Likely end up with 0.012, 0.013 or 0.014.

Gold Tone can supply a short neck for retrofit. Call Wayne Rogers for his opinion. He might be willing to quote a price installed. (Consider getting both necks to allow experimentation)

Idea only. YMMV.

PS. I reduce weight by carrying the full length banjo in a mimimal electric guitar gig bag, and the short scale banjo in a tenor guitar gig bag (parlor guitar gig bag is over size but usable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post

C. Recommendation other than banjolele:

A professional banjo player will probably find a four string banjolele to be rather wee and twee. And may not want to give up the fifth string.

She will likely prefer a full size but very light weight five string Gold Tone AC1 or AC1-R, or perhaps a mid weight AC5. The four string AC4 has a 4" shorter scale if less reach is needed.

The lightness is achieved by using a light weight molded composite rim that does not use many of the heavy metal parts needed on a traditional banjo.

The AC1 was awarded best new product at NAMM summer 2016. The other AC models are based on the AC1 rim.

All are readily available from the Gold Tone website and many music stores.

The AC1, AC1-R, and AC4 are (!!) $200US. AC5 is more because of the maple resonator.

The AC1 (open back) and AC1-R (resonator plate) weigh 3.8 pounds. Professional banjos range from 6-12 pounds.

The AC5 uses a large detachable wood resonator chamber and thus weighs 6 pounds.

Best bet is to get your buddy an AC1-R or AC1 for least weight. Get the mid weight AC5 with maple resonator if a louder fuller sound is needed.

The four string AC4 has a shorter 22.5" scale and weighs 3.4 pounds. It is useful if the player needs a shorter reach and can give up the fifth string.

The AC4 ships with CGDA standard tenor banjo strings. I switched to GDAE irish tenor strings to get the same fingering as my violin.

On the second AC4 I use 0.012" standard banjo strings for DGBD banjo or DGBE guitar fingering, and 0.010 for GCEA ukulele fingering.

I like these composite body banjos a lot but unsure whether this forum would be interested in a review.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-18-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Guest 928

Casual;

I'm passing all the information along to the village player. Again, thank you for taking the time to forward the information.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Guest 928

With some regret, I've returned the banjolele. I did write a review for Amazon, not mentioning that the instrument was not to my inclinations, but highlighting what others have said--a really well built, beautiful, nice sounding instrument.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Sorry you didn't care for the baby banjo. Something like 30% of all products ordered online are returned as compared to about 9% in brick-and-mortar stores. There is a thriving business possibility of ordering a pallet of junk for a few hundred dollars and then repackaging items and sending them out again at nearly full price. As one of my heroes reportedly said, “If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted, then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production.”

This was overheard in Target today when a couple of jocks were talking about going to Pier One to get a rug because one guy didn't like the selection at Target.

Jock 1, "Why don't you just order one from Amazon?"

Jock 2, "I don't think so. Amazon is like Tender. You fall in love with the picture when the reality is never as good as what you saw on line."

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Guest 928

AZ;

I should apologize. I should have offered you the Banjolele before I made the return. My standard policy with guitars is to buy high and sell low and I could have made you a smoking deal.

Humm, I don't suppose you take any consolation that apology.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
AZ;

I should apologize. I should have offered you the Banjolele before I made the return.
No worries mate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber