The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Hey Eric, thanks for your thoughts on this. So, if you were going to pick one pre-amp, which one would it be and why?

Also, regarding the cedar/sapele vs. spruce/rosewood, what are the tonal differences that you like and don't like from one to the other?

Thanks and I'll probably reach out to Jerry to discuss.
Your welcome buddy

* Regarding the pre-amp, my #1 choice for my woods, model and what I do (this is my livelihood performing 3-4 hr shows of solo reggae, trop-rock 4-5 nites a week) is the CT4BII. The CT4BII works well with the already warm sonic nature of cedar, and sapeale with it's wide, flat frequency and punch. In addition my Taks have a satin finish that is less glassy in tone then a gloss finish having owned/performed with several of both. I also like the lighter weight and the way longer life of the single 9v battery vs 4 AA in the Cooltube or the two 9v in the CT4DX. Having said that if I'm recording, I'll swap out the CT4BII and put in my CTP-2. It's an easy swap I've done many times. It then gives me more harmonic richness, nuances as well as more fine tuning of the mid frequencies which really have a more natural acoustic flavor. However, on stage it's back to the CT4BII which has a bit more headroom.

** For you in the case of the P5NC I would definitely go with the CTP-2 Cooltube because it will warm up the tonal signature associated with spruce over rosewood, especially in the gloss finish. It will also provide nice mid-frequency fine tuning to your EQ. I had the CT4DX in the one I had back in 2015, but now they come with the CTP-3. The CT4DX has 18 volts, tons of quackless headroom, the most eq shaping as well as a second source capability (so does the Cooltube, the CT4BII does not). I tried using my Baggs M80 as a second source and it was nice, yet overkill for what I do. You can also use a SBT... if I had three hands, I'd be using the V-8 super-charged CT4DX

*** So if you go with the P5NC, ask Jerry to replace it with a CTP-2. I bought two from him. I performed with a EF261-san, which is an MIJ Legacy model in the small FX body, with all gloss finished solid cedar over laminated mahogany, (Tak's lam formula is so good, it resonates nicely), that came with a CT4BII. I put in the CTP-2 and it sounded gorgeous, very glassy and rich. Surprisingly tons of low end and projection without feedback when amplified. Unplugged it was very sweet tho on the quiet side volume-wise, yet a lovely finger style guitar while being super comfy. It looked great on stage under the lights too!

**** So the tonal unplugged differences are as you would expect with the satin cedar over sapeale being warmer, thicker mids and rounder trebles; whereas, the glossed spruce over rosewood is richer in harmonics, brighter, more reverby depth and a scooped mid range. However the NEX body shape reduces some of that noticeable scoop as compared to say a P5D or comparable Martin rosewood model... the tonal characteristics of each wood combo and finish translate very much so to the amplified sound despite some who think that once plugged in, the woods don't make much difference. That is so untrue because I've had a ton of experience with these Taks unplugged, amplified, recording etc... I just prefer cedar as my topwood and sapeale as my back, even over genuine mahogany. I like rosewood ok and have spruce on my D18 which is a nice guitar. But if I could only choose one, it would be my KC70 over any that I've owned including two Lowdens, two Martins, one Avalon, one Goodall, and several other Taks. My '97 Lowden would be my second choice but son now owns it. BTW the sustain on my MIJ Taks outshine my Martins as well as Takamine's intonation, no dead spots either and even all the way up the neck.

***** Despite the room noise, listen with headphones to the EF261 flesh fingerstyle. My amp is a Loudbox with a touch of delay: https://youtu.be/jY9D6KbFUIQ

...then amplified at home with CT4BII: https://youtu.be/6uGnAVS5UV0

......and here unplugged: https://youtu.be/IRNgK3v57UA I changed my mind on the NEX body since this video and ended up likin' the NEX.

And finally here is one of my cedar over sapeale guitars (KC70) with CT4BII live thru Loudbox with touch of delay: https://youtu.be/HPXEn9aCGUQ

I realize YT vids are not an exact medium to gauge these kind of things, especially live with folks talkin', but you may, with headphones, hear some of the tonal differences. The EF261 amplified will be somewhat close to the P5NC tho the P5 harmonics are richer. The wood difference ie the scooped nature of rosewood can easily be compensated by the mid-frequency controls on the CTP-2. The EF261 had killer midrange naturally, so I did not have to compensate for it.

I wish you all the best with your decision and please keep us posted!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 09-03-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks LOL
Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 PM

I just wonder whether it is possible to use the ctp preamp for other guitar, other pickup?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification