The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2023, 12:02 AM

Default Martin Special Series

Hello. I am currently looking into buying a Martin 000x2E, but then I saw the Special Series they have for sale. I used to own an 000X1AE and I actually loved it, and the x2 looks to be the same guitar with minor improvements, including scalloped bracing. The special series looks to be exactly the same guitar but with solid sapele instead of the HPL (high pressure laminate) for the back and sides, for 400$ more. Has anyone gotten to try out both of these guitars? Is having solid sapele instead of HPL worth the extra 400$? Thank you!
Old 03-18-2023, 04:03 AM

The HPL that Martin is using on some of the low-end models is seriously cheap stuff. I would most definitely opt for a solid wood or layered laminate instead of that stuff personally. And it would be worth the difference in price if a Martin was the guitar I wanted.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

''Is having solid sapele instead of HPL worth the extra 400$?''

Absolutely!

You'll have a much better guitar with solid wood back and sides. It will be lighter and you'll love the sound!
Old 03-18-2023, 06:17 AM

I’ve owned a few of the X-series and the solid-wood top is a better instrument. That said, I think you can get a far better guitar for your money than any of Martin’s X-series offerings … they’re quite overpriced for what they are. Check out Alvarez and even some of the Washburn offerings.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 03-18-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
I’ve owned a few of the X-series and the solid-wood top is a better instrument. That said, I think you can get a far better guitar for your money than any of Martin’s X-series offerings … they’re quite overpriced for what they are. Check out Alvarez and even some of the Washburn offerings.
I was going to say look at Alvarez, Yamaha, Eastman, Recording King, Seagull, Sigma, Orangewood, etc. There are a lot of nice acoustics out there for very affordable prices. Some folks have to have a Martin or a Taylor or whatever, and that's okay, too. Just realize there are some bada$$ acoustics out there once you get past the big names.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
I was going to say look at Alvarez, Yamaha, Eastman, Recording King, Seagull, Sigma, Orangewood, etc. There are a lot of nice acoustics out there for very affordable prices. Some folks have to have a Martin or a Taylor or whatever, and that's okay, too. Just realize there are some bada$$ acoustics out there once you get past the big names.
Exactly. At any decent guitar shop it’s not hard to find a guitar that’ll beat the X-series for a similar price.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 03-18-2023, 11:00 AM

Just do it
Old 03-18-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post
Hello. I am currently looking into buying a Martin 000x2E, but then I saw the Special Series they have for sale.
What's the model of the special series based on? If it is their road series, then I'd definitely pay the $400 more and buy the special.

The Martin road series is really a bargain. I own the 000-10e (all Sapele); it plays and sounds great (as nice as my D-18 and 000-28 Martins).
Old 03-18-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
I see similar things being said here. The thing is, I actually owned a Yamaha LS-16 ARE alongside my Martin 000x1ae. Technically the Yamaha should have been better in every single way, right? All solid woods, treated top, gloss finish, etc. Yet I found myself reaching for the 000x1 every time, and not just because of the name on the headstock. Didn't Martin and Taylor get their status by being the best?
Old 03-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
What's the model of the special series based on? If it is their road series, then I'd definitely pay the $400 more and buy the special.

The Martin road series is really a bargain. I own the 000-10e (all Sapele); it plays and sounds great (as nice as my D-18 and 000-28 Martins).
I'm not sure which series it's based off of! Does the road series use solid ebony for their fingerboard? If so, definitely that one!
Old 03-18-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Just do it
Solid. I think I will!
Old 03-18-2023, 01:05 PM

The Special Edition of Martin guitars are built for the Guitar Center Stores.
They are made with some corners cut, so to say, to create very nice guitars at a lot more affordable prices.
I have the GPC-16 Special with solid Rosewood sides and back.
This is my solo gigging guitar.
It is perfect for my needs.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The Special Edition of Martin guitars are built for the Guitar Center Stores.
They are made with some corners cut, so to say, to create very nice guitars at a lot more affordable prices.
I have the GPC-16 Special with solid Rosewood sides and back.
This is my solo gigging guitar.
It is perfect for my needs.
It's hard to find the shortcut. even the fingerboard and bridge are real ebony. It seems like I'm paying much less than an 000-18 because of a satin finish (preferred by me), sapele over mahogany (which I hear is preferable to some), and being made in Mexico.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post
I'm not sure which series it's based off of! Does the road series use solid ebony for their fingerboard? If so, definitely that one!
No, the road series uses Richlite. Your ebony is definitely an upgrade!
Old 03-18-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I agree...I currently own a pair of American Martins but have owned 3 different D10E's and they are outstanding guitars, probably the best you will find under $1k. Considering that you can get one used for $700, that's a much better buy than an X series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion