The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
A 12 fret 0 can be very special . I built one . Just a bit deeper than the norm , it is very balanced . Don't sell them cheap because the good ones make a dred seem like a waste of wood . Let the slings and arrows fly .
I am searching for a used, affordable 12-fret 0... All wood, if possible.

All-mahogany interests me... But I'd take spruce...

Wish me luck!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Don't know if it's considered a parlor guitar, but you should consider the re-voiced Taylor 812ce with Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum 11-50 strings on it. This package has a really sweet tone, full, warm and creamy, low-tension, short-scale, tones of sustain, good volume and amazing clarity. All in a small, extremely comfortable light body, plus its gorgeous!... Ok I am a little bias :-)

2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo
2017 Gibson SJ200 burst
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2009 Fender Stratocaster
2015 Epi Les Paul Traditional
Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 AM

I don't play dreds, but I have a 0000 and an OM that I very much enjoy. I just took a chance on a little Art&Lutherie Roadhouse Parlor, and I have to say I am enjoying the playing of it very much. Mostly, I bought it because I need something to do at my job when I am sitting in my pickup doing babysitting duty for (possibly) hours at a time, and I think it actually delivers.

Is it a little boxy? Yep, but only a little. The sustain surprised me, as did the fact that it sounds like a real guitar. I guess I just didn't have real high expectations for less than $500. And with the really short scale and low string tension, it is just fun to play! The strings are definitely closer together than I am used to, but I am taking that as a personal challenge.

It definitely doesn't sound like my bigger guitars do, but it sounds good. If you're looking for a niche guitar that is different than everything else you have, I highly recommend you get out and try some, and bring something else for comparison while you're at it!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I don't play dreds, but I have a 0000 and an OM that I very much enjoy. I just took a chance on a little Art&Lutherie Roadhouse Parlor, and I have to say I am enjoying the playing of it very much. Mostly, I bought it because I need something to do at my job when I am sitting in my pickup doing babysitting duty for (possibly) hours at a time, and I think it actually delivers.

Is it a little boxy? Yep, but only a little. The sustain surprised me, as did the fact that it sounds like a real guitar. I guess I just didn't have real high expectations for less than $500. And with the really short scale and low string tension, it is just fun to play! The strings are definitely closer together than I am used to, but I am taking that as a personal challenge.

It definitely doesn't sound like my bigger guitars do, but it sounds good. If you're looking for a niche guitar that is different than everything else you have, I highly recommend you get out and try some, and bring something else for comparison while you're at it!
I keep an Art & Lutherie parlor size where else - in my parlor. It has a cedar top and laminated sides. I don't even remember where its case is. It lives on a stand so I can grab it on a whim while all my pricey stuff is staying safe and humidified. Volume was never a consideration, nor was overall tonal quality. Guess what gets the most casual play?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM

adding to my comment on E10P.... I'm on my 4th weekly string change (experiment)... DR's, Pyramid's, D'Addarios, JP's etc... and IMHO, string choice makes or breaks the tonal quality and volume on my parlor. Currently the Pyramid Folk Round Core set is the winner for my tastes

Still have Curt Magnum and Spectrums to try.
Martin D41 Natural
Fender Classical 140S
Parker electric (in the closet)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:58 AM

I got my Fender Paramount PM-2 all-mahogany parlor 12-fretter after playing everything I could find in a half dozen guitar places. That included places with top end instruments as well as three different GC stores.

The reason for the search for a parlor was that my only guitar was my old in-need-of-some-work D18, and that I wanted a guitar as different from that rich boomy dread as I could get.

So I ended up wanting a parlor, mahogany, and went play-shopping. Once into it I realized I could get what I wanted for under $600, new.

It boiled down to a choice between the PM-2 Fender and the AVN2OPN Ibanez. This, after playing guitars at prices way up over three grand. I got the PM-2 for $420 delivered because it was "opened box but new" status and came with a very nice Fender hardshell case. The AVN2OPN would have cost me $499 at the time and did not have a case.

Ibanez has discontinued the AVN2OPN which is a shame, but if you go online you can find some sellers with them.

The PM-2 is doodled up a little prettier than the AVN2OPN, and it has a pickguard. Plus, its body depth is 4.25 at bottom end versus 5 for the Ibanez, making it a little easier as a couch instrument.

If I want to couch real cozy I just play my little Luna pineapple uke.

Best of luck in your search.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate215 View Post
adding to my comment on E10P.... I'm on my 4th weekly string change (experiment)... DR's, Pyramid's, D'Addarios, JP's etc... and IMHO, string choice makes or breaks the tonal quality and volume on my parlor. Currently the Pyramid Folk Round Core set is the winner for my tastes

Still have Curt Magnum and Spectrums to try.
Totally agree with Tailgate. Going through the same experiment. Started with basic Daddario's EJ-16s, moved on to JPs, Martin Life Span, Elixir HD light (As recommended by Taylor... very disappointing). From there went to Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum 11-50 (Still on these... totally blown away by the tone), and still have La Bella 710m silk and steel and DR Rare's to test.

I can attest that "silk and steel" low tension type strings paired with this small bodied guitar is a match made in heaven. And from what I've read elsewhere, it seems to be a common theme.
2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo
2017 Gibson SJ200 burst
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2009 Fender Stratocaster
2015 Epi Les Paul Traditional
Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks guys.I think my brain exploded.....but a parlor is in my future....I just need to decide for big un or a baby one.

"In The Wind"
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 PM

For giggles, here's the all laminate size 0 I recently got...I think it sounds...like it should, if that makes sense

(I posted this in showcase a while back, so if you've seen it, disregard)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Just to confuse you more, I have been intrigued by this website featuring vintage parlors:
http://vintageparlorguitars.com/
Old 01-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I have a matched pair of Ponos, an OP 30 and an OP12-30, which is really pretty cool to have.

I found in my shopping that the smaller the guitar, the better it has to be to sound good. Nothing sounded good below the Pono/ Eastman level, and they don't approach outstanding until you find a vintage Martin or a baby Collings or a SCGC Firefly or some such boutique parlor.

I find rosewood to be too lush on larger guitars but perfect for parlors. The Ponos fit a slot in my collection for nice to have but not used enough to have three grand tied up in them. Oddly to me both Ponos are great country blues guitars, but far too pretty for any kind of stage cred LOL.

They are very comfortable and the 12 fret design has them sounding bigger than they are. Still, they have some boxiness to them, not using the term as derogatory.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
I have a martin 0-18. Yeah its not cheap, Sometimes i see a d-18 and im like man i want one so bad because of the sound. Then i play mine and it washes away those wants/needs. I am a martin homer so sue me. But i think its the best guitar i have ever owned. And usually after 6 months i get sick of a guitar and this baby i am on almost a year and couldnt imagine my life without it. perfect for the couch and perfect on the stage alone or with a band. just exceptional.

I have one too. Every now and then when I go to a music store, I pick up a D28 or D18 and think I have to have it. But, I go home, pick up my 0-18 and it just kills the GAS.

First, it's so comfortable to play sitting in a big stuffed chair as I do mostly nowadays.

Second, it sounds very nice and I find my self doing things that I just don't do on my other guitars. Some of it is size, but it has a nice even tone. Sounds good flat- or finger-picked.

It records surprisingly well, with a nice bass.

Someday, I'm going to find a 0-28 or 00-28 to try to see how rosewood back and sides sounds. But for now, I am plenty happy with the 0-18. I sold by dreads -- including a D28 and Gibson J45 TV -- because they were too big for my purposes.

I have a really nice sounding OM28. But since I got the 0-18, it doesn't get played nearly as much. That's mostly because the 0-18 is so comfortable to play.

For folks who want to spend a bit less, I think the 0-15s are a good bet. I had an 00-15M that I liked a lot, but I like the 0-18 better.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM

All my acoustics are in the "small-bodied" realm. They are also all 12-fret to body. The flamenco are non-cutaway, the steel-strings are cutaway models.

Culpepper Flamenco Negra - standard classical shape (bit shallower), so is close to parlor size.

Cordoba Solista Flamenca - same as above

Taylor 322ce 12-fret - GC body. Again, very close to size of classical.

Rainsong CH Parlor - true parlor size instrument. This is my newest acquisition and loving it so far. Chose the parlor size for space restrictions in the car when camping otherwise might have looked at the "Shorty" model which is essentially same size as my Taylor. The carbon fiber definitely allows this Parlor to "punch above its weight" for volume/projection, but it still won't keep up with a dread or jumbo.

I am also primarily a fingerstyle player, although both my steel strings can handle a decent strum too, especially if you have a lighter touch with the pick (which I do).

For my style, the balance and tone from the smaller bodied guitar makes them a winner. I also tend towards shorter scales (both my steel strings are 24.9").

Later
Rob
Old 01-20-2018, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

I found in my shopping that the smaller the guitar, the better it has to be to sound good.

I couldn’t agree more!

To the OP, if you buy an affordable factory guitar and wind up getting bit by the Parlor bug because of the size but still are dissatisfied with the sound, you owe it to yourself to save up some pennies for a nice hand-built instrument when you upgrade to your second pint-sized squeeze.

My first parlor was my first acoustic guitar ever, a mid-60s Gibson B-15, an all-mahogany short-scale cutie I picked up for a song at a Sacramento pawnshop in 1981. It was easy to play, but wasn’t terribly expressive and offered a limited range of sounds.

My next foray into the Parlor Zone came in the form of a brand new Sitka/koa Larrivée, I purchased sight unseen online in 2003. Fit and finish left a bit to be desired, but playability was very good, thanks to the comfy neck and 24” scale. The guitar felt overbuilt and sounded boxy when new and never opened up in any significant way during the ten years she spent in the stable. Great for travel, though, if you’re looking for portability.

In 2013, I got one of Mike Baranik’s Retreux Parlors and haven’t looked back! While it will never have the deep bass response of a larger instrument, it dishes out an abundance of heavenly sounds it an ultra-comfortable package.

For my purposes, it could easily by my only acoustic.

It’s great for fingerpicking, of course, but it also hangs very well with a flatpick and handles heavy strumming with poise and guts.

That being said, where the Baranik Retreux Parlor really shines is in vocal accompaniment. It projects well without drowning out my singing. The small size gives an intimacy and immediacy to everything you do with your picking hand. My mind and body feel more as one with this little guitar.

Yes, all of that in the couch-friendliest format I’ve ever played!

Happy Hunting!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 01-24-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I am searching for a used, affordable 12-fret 0... All wood, if possible.

All-mahogany interests me... But I'd take spruce...

Wish me luck!
Martin 0-15 or 5-15 .
Good luck .
So much to be said for the smaller bodied guitars .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion