The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Calton cases

What do you think of calton cases...are they worth the 1K price tag...would you only use one as a flight case or would you use it as your everyday case?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:48 AM

For an everyday case they are too heavy, way overbuilt and far too expensive. Buy a Hiscox and save $800. You can buy a nice guitar for that!

Last edited by AndrewG; 05-24-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
...would you only use one as a flight case or would you use it as your everyday case?
Mostly I just use them for stickers.

Seriously though, they work fine as everyday cases if you don't mind the weight. I'm of the opinion that you need a "good" case for more than just flights. Certainly checking your guitar on an airplane is a risk, but just like our personal risk, we travel by car more frequently and an instrument can be damaged in an auto accident the same as a person. How much you value your instrument, what you're willing to accept as risk, the cost of the case, and the weight all factor into your decision. I wouldn't criticize any decision in that regard, as long as the instrument is in a case that is at least adequate. IMO that rules out anything approximating a gig bag.

Most quality guitars come in cases that is at least adequate. To my way of thinking the "good" cases start at the Hiscox Pro-II. I personally use Hiscox Pro-II, Artist, and Calton cases. The Calton cases are certainly more sturdy. Mine are nearly 20 years old and going strong. The only close call was when a PA speaker fell on my Calton mandolin case. It only chipped the gel coat. Money well spent on that one.

Edited to add...if you live in the US, the current exchange rate allows you to buy a Hiscox Pro-II from Andertons for about $175 or so, shipped to your door.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM

I'm torn with mine. The cases are heavy, well-built, protective....but has any one of us every dropped one off a twenty-foot drop to see if it will save our expensive guitar? I wouldn't. I'm not sure it would. It would completely protect the guitar from scrapes but the sudden stopping impact would still likely snap the neck. BUT WHO KNOWS? If you travel a lot, I do, and have multiple guitars that will fit one case, I do, and don't mind carrying that heavy case, I don't, and check your case, I usually do, AND have expensive equipment to protect, some would say yes, ........ then they're great.

It is a great expense for most that (again probably for many) is never used to its potential. Only you (a buyer) can determine whether they "are they worth the 1K price tag...would you only use one as a flight case or would you use it as your everyday case?"

I would never buy one just for a car-travel. There are many other lighter, very protective cases out there. Since I do have one, I use it for storing the one instrument I have that cost more than any instrument should. Then I use it for air-travel.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 05-24-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Do the Caltons weigh as much as the Ameritage cases that Santa Cruz uses? Never picked up a Calton, but those Ameritages are heavy.

Some guitars
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Guest316

Default Would you only use one as a flight case or would you use it as your everyday case?

If I spent that much for a case you bet I would use it at all times - on a plane, in a car, for home storage, yessir!

However I am more than happy with my Hiscox Pro II, a lightweight case that provides excellent protection and customer service at a fraction of the cost.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
What do you think of calton cases...are they worth the 1K price tag...would you only use one as a flight case or would you use it as your everyday case?
Not worth it for an everyday case unless you're transporting the guitar in a crowded, bumpy van or by plane everyday. They're great but add a lot of weight and bulk.

Definitely worth it when your guitar needs real protection. I wouldn't put a $1k guitar in a $1k case, but a fine and/or irreplaceable guitar, definitely.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
Do the Caltons weigh as much as the Ameritage cases that Santa Cruz uses? Never picked up a Calton, but those Ameritages are heavy.
Heavier. I have one of each and the Calton is bigger and heavier, partly because of the solid metal bar that runs the length of the lid.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

If you need the type of protection they offer for an expensive instrument they are for sure worth it and so are Hoffee cases. Both my Ryan and my Goodall came with a Calton and they are a bit over kill for my professional needs currently but they sure are great looking cases. When I open them it always feels like my guitars are living in the lap of luxury in there.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Heavier. I have one of each and the Calton is bigger and heavier, partly because of the solid metal bar that runs the length of the lid.
Dang, thanks Rog. Calton is officially off of my wish list. They look so light in pics

Some guitars
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
For an everyday case they are too heavy. . . .
So, I just weighed a couple of newer, Austin built Caltons for 000/OM size guitars and a couple of stock, Martin TKL Geib style 533 cases to compare weights. Also a Hiscox to be fair.

The Caltons came in at 14 lbs 8.48 oz. and 13 lbs. 15.68 oz. Let's say about 14 1/4 lbs. average.
The Geib cases weigh 12 lbs. 5.76 oz. and 13 lbs. 3.52 oz. Let's say about 12 3/4 lbs. average.
It's a small sampling, but the Caltons are only around a pound and a half heavier on average than the stock Geib. That's not much difference in weight. Caltons are bulkier in stature, but not much different than a Hiscox, which by the way, came in at about 9 1/2 lbs.
The Calton is a great case and I keep my best guitars in them.
Hiscox is light and about one third(Pro II) the price of a Calton.
Nothing wrong with a stock TKL Geib either.
Comes down to choice. But don't buy into the tale that Caltons are very heavy beasts. Clearly the newer ones made in Austin are not!
Hope this helps,
John
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

If weight is a concern, check out a Visesnut flight case. They weigh a little over 7 lbs, and offer excellent protection and have an adjustable interior design. The downside is there's not too much room in the storage compartment under the neck, but that's a fairly minimal trade-off for such a light weight at that level of protection.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Calton-Visesnut

I have an older Calton-- festooned with stickers, and it has been very good for many years.

But that thing is HEAVY. I have to think the new ones are lighter.

I recently got a Visesnut case through the folks at Preston Thompson Guitars, and it is really cool, about a third the weight, adjustable, and a few hundred bucks cheaper. I think they are worth a look, for sure.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM

I had a Main Stage case and didn't find it significantly heavier than a cedar Creek case. The greater rigidity of the main stage made carrying it easier.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
For an everyday case they are too heavy, way overbuilt and far too expensive. Buy a Hiscox and save $800. You can buy a nice guitar for that!
Totally disagree.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion