The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 07:42 AM

Default Glad I didn't give up on dreads

The guitar I had been playing most for a few years has been a J-45. It was a really nice guitar but most of my playing is with my fingers and I cannot handle anything but short nails so it is a flesh situation. The Gibson was very quiet both by nature and me not moving the top. I also didn't love the neck profile and the small frets but if it sounded how I wanted I could have dealt with those.

I offered it up locally, thinking I may want a smaller, fingerstyle, couch friendly alternative. However, when a guy offered up a D28 (technically a Special 28 Style Adirondack VTS Dreadnought - a D28 with the older neck style, nut width and VTS Adi top, sold at certain retailers) I had to check it out.

Wow! So many dreads I have fingerpicked were tight feeling and I didn’t feel I was moving the top. I was instantly shocked by the volume and nuance from this dread. I was sold. Then I was over the moon when I grabbed a pick and strummed - a true cannon.

I feel this thing somehow gives me the best of both worlds. Typically I like a pretty low action but this guy was a rhythm player who really banged his guitars so the action is higher than I prefer, but it sounds so good I might just try to learn to tolerate it because I'm afraid I would give up tone and volume by lowering it! I actually had very little Martin experience, this one, however, shatters my previous beliefs that all dreads were harder to play. It really plays easy despite being longer in scale, higher action and actually has a thicker gauge set of strings on it.

I plan to put some Martin PB Medihm Lights on it. I may allow myself a few weeks to get used to this action before lowering.

Don’t fear the dread. Just find the right one!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style

Last edited by MIGAS79; 03-21-2023 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-21-2023, 08:33 AM

Glad you found one that speaks to you!

I too had given up on Dreads - mainly because they tend to hurt my shoulder when I play them seated, with the guitar on my knee, like so many do. However, as much as I love my Eastman GAs, I found myself missing that big Dread sound! It then occurred to me that I only ever play on my knee at stores, because they generally don't have strap buttons on the neck heel. I ALWAYS play with straps at home - I prefer to keep the guitar in a consistent position whether standing or sitting. Decided to try some Dreads on straps, and whaddaya know - shoulder pain all gone. So, I bought a Martin D-10E, and am now scheming to raise the funds for a D-18 . That *may* mean the Eastmans go on the block at some point, but for the moment I'm hanging on to them!

So, as you say - don't fear the Dread!
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 03-21-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGAS79 View Post
... and play it often!

I started with 000 body sizes and couldn't play the dreadnought size comfortably when I bought one. But the dreadnought sounded so nice, I just kept playing it until my body adjusted. Now I can play it as comfy and easily as my 000 guitars.

So, in light of this thread, and for those worried about dreadnought's size, get one and just play it for a couple of months. Your body will adjust. It's like how I, initially, find even the 000 size too big and uncomfy when I first started out (coming from the ukulele).
Old 03-21-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The guitar I had been playing most for a few years has been a J-45. It was a really nice guitar but most of my playing is with my fingers and I cannot handle anything but short nails so it is a flesh situation. The Gibson was very quiet both by nature and me not moving the top. I also didn't love the neck profile and the small frets but if it sounded how I wanted I could have dealt with those.

I offered it up locally, thinking I may want a smaller, fingerstyle, couch friendly alternative. However, when a guy offered up a D28 (technically a Special 28 Style Adirondack VTS Dreadnought - a D28 with the older neck style, nut width and VTS Adi top, sold at certain retailers) I had to check it out.

Wow! So many dreads I have fingerpicked were tight feeling and I didn’t feel I was moving the top. I was instantly shocked by the volume and nuance from this dread. I was sold. Then I was over the moon when I grabbed a pick and strummed - a true cannon.

I feel this thing somehow gives me the best of both worlds. Typically I like a pretty low action but this guy was a rhythm player who really banged his guitars so the action is higher than I prefer, but it sounds so good I might just try to learn to tolerate it because I'm afraid I would give up tone and volume by lowering it! I actually had very little Martin experience, this one, however, shatters my previous beliefs that all dreads were harder to play. It really plays easy despite being longer in scale, higher action and actually has a thicker gauge set of strings on it.

I plan to put some Martin PB Medihm Lights on it. I may allow myself a few weeks to get used to this action before lowering.

Ah! Light strings on a great sounding Dread? Nooooo!
Depending on how high the action is, personally I would go lower action, thicker strings.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Depending on how high the action is, personally I would go lower action, thicker strings.
I figured splitting the difference and going 12.5-55 may be a decent compromise. Perhaps mediums with better action would be better.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 03-21-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Glad I didn't give up on dreads...

I'm glad I didn't give up on dreads, too! And I'm glad you found a very cool D-28 that responds well to your playing!

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I figured splitting the difference and going 12.5-55 may be a decent compromise. Perhaps mediums with better action would be better.
Congratulations on finding a dred you love and love to play. You are right about the silking on that top, it's wonderful. Those Martin strings sound like a good compromise is size. Another one is John Pearse 710 NM (new mediums) they are 13 - 55 but the strings in between are basically light gauge. I like them a lot.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-21-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a great guitar! I was thinking of starting a thread entitled “How did I end up with so many dreds?” (and still might) because I really prefer 000s or 00s with short-scale necks but the dreds seem to multiply like tribbles.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Or, put whatever strings you like on there, that give you the tone you want. Don't listen to anyone else's preconceived notion of what strings you should have on your guitar.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 03-22-2023, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Happy for you. Nothing quite like a pleasant surprise guitar experience.

And... Viva las dreadnoughts:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=644582

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion