The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Getting Reacquainted With My OMC-15ME

The second Martin guitar I ever bought (the first was the little LX1RE for traveling) was the OMC-15ME Streetmaster in Weathered Red. I was going through a phase where I didn't think I'd care if a guitar got a ding or a scratch, and the Streemaster looked the part.

It's a larger guitar than I prefer (000-14 fret cutaway) with Martin's standard 24.5" scale. I quickly grew disenchanted with the all-hog sound and put it away. I thought maybe I'd sell it some day.

Today, wanting to give my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa a rest, I pulled out the Martin on impulse. And you know what? It actually sounds pretty good! I think a fresh set of strings might do it some good (suggestions for brightening it a bit?) and I'm not sure I'm keen on the modified low oval neck with high performance taper, but I think I'll keep it out for a while and see if it grows on me.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

If you haven’t tried retro monels , do it. Just give them some time to settle. Eventually they mellow into some pretty great strings on all hog guitars. I have an affinity towards 15 series Martins. I like them all. My GPC-15 I purchased new and it’s not going anywhere. I think Martin nailed it in the neck profiles and bracing on these cause they sound phenomenal!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion