The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I did it last week. Bought the most expensive guitar I ever have based solely on an instant bond. I may now even look inside and see if it has a popsicle brace.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-21-2023, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I did it last week. Bought the most expensive guitar I ever have based solely on an instant bond. I may now even look inside and see if it has a popsicle brace.
If it does, you have to take it back
Old 03-24-2023, 01:36 PM

I’m old. Wrong side of 60. I’ve been playing guitar since my teens and played a lot and over the years I owned a whole lot of guitars, mainly electric but over the last few years mostly acoustic. I’ve mainly owned Gibsons but also Collings, Waterloo, Bourgeois, etc. but, more by accident than design, never a Martin. Anyway, a clear-out happened and I recently ended up with a lovely 2007 Martin D35. Being honest, I was slightly underwhelmed. It’s a very lovely guitar but I felt the sound wasn’t quite what I was hoping for. Following this thread, Andy (Sillymoustache) said it needed mediums and Wade said Pearce 80/20s so how could I argue with such esteemed views. I took off the PB lights and fitted the 80/20 mediums. Like night and day. I’m now besotted with my first Martin. Can’t guarantee it will work for you but it absolutely worked for me.
Custom-made Slothead 000-28
Tele
Strat

My music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6t6Np...QpyroLrwiVSclQ
And here: https://borrowedbooks.bandcamp.com/
Old 03-26-2023, 11:59 AM

Stop. You're overthinking it. Go play your new guitar and enjoy it.

You bought the guitar because you liked it, and I really can't say you made a bad choice. The D35 is probably my second favorite Martin behind the HD-28, maybe my favorite - the D35 favors picking harder, the HD-28 favors picking softer but both work better to different picking styles than say a D-28.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I suppose scalloping the bracing would make it an HD-35.
I'm pretty sure they scallop it a lot more in the HD-35. I played a '02 recently, and that guitar compressed pretty quickly, but was probably the best Martin I ever played for fingerpicking. I also played a brand new D-35 recently, and that guitar maintained its definition when picked heavily but it also wanted to be played harder. Very different guitars.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
Stop. You're overthinking it. Go play your new guitar and enjoy it.

You bought the guitar because you liked it, and I really can't say you made a bad choice. The D35 is probably my second favorite Martin behind the HD-28, maybe my favorite - the D35 favors picking harder, the HD-28 favors picking softer but both work better to different picking styles than say a D-28.

Oh, I’m definitely not overthinking it. I’m just curious as to the changes. I’m usually somebody that looks under the hood before I take a test drive, this time was the opposite and it was quite fun.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Oh, I’m definitely not overthinking it. I’m just curious as to the changes. I’m usually somebody that looks under the hood before I take a test drive, this time was the opposite and it was quite fun.
As long as you aren’t thinking you should have found an older used one instead. That’s a rabbit home that never ends, thinking there’s always a better guitar out there etc.

I went that rabbit hole for years. Never found a guitar I liked better than my dad’s maple Guild F-50 though. A few years ago he gave it to me. I could hit the lottery tomorrow and would ‘t find a better sounding guitar for what I play. I kind of gave up looking and at this point I’d like a decent beater and maybe something that’s a little more forgiving for learning tough songs on but not as a better guitar.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:00 PM

You got yourself a nice guitar and I hope it brings you years of enjoyment. Let us know how you like this guitar after you’ve played it for 60-90 days.

My first Martin was and still is a new D35 purchased in early 1977. I bought a new OM35 with scalloped bracing in 2007 and ordered a Custom 12 fret 000 with scalloped bracing and a 3 piece mahogany back and sides in 2015. The specs and appointments are a hybrid of a 00018 and an HD35. I keep thinking I should add a D35 12 string and M36 to the mix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion