The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 07:48 AM

Default Guild Again

Sold my Takamine 12 string. Was considering making it a 6 string but decided that was not for me. I don't want to spend all the proceeds from the sale on another guitar (got my eye on a sweet fly rod), but do want another jumbo, and not what some companies "name" a jumbo, I want a genuine huge guitar. Budget is around $500, less would be better, MUST have a 1.75 nut.

My internet browsing has focused me toward a Guild F240e, but, two things: I see reviews (maybe older?) that state the nut width is 1 11/16, but Sweetwater (usually dependable) shows the nut width at 1.75. And, many reviews cover the acoustic sound this guitar provides, but I can't find much on the plugged in sound, which will be used by me on this one.

Pretty sure I have never seen one of these guitars in person, anyone have any experience with one?
Old 03-20-2023, 08:14 AM

this is listed w/the Fishman Sonitone GT-1

The F1512 jumbo I have has a Sonitone

IMO it's not quite on par with the Infinity that I have in three other acoustics

if you have a preamp setup, or pedal board with some tone shaping options (EQ for example) it's ok.

It's ok in my situation. I have a Tonedexter and GE7 EQ.

It's all subjectional so I can't answer if this will be good enough for you.

If it was MY primary acoustic, -- for me,, personally??
I'd probably not be 100% on board with it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 03-20-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 PM

Guild Specs show a 1 11/16" nut.
https://guildguitars.com/g/f-240e-natural/
Old 03-20-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
...want another jumbo, and not what some companies "name" a jumbo, I want a genuine huge guitar. Budget is around $500, less would be better, MUST have a 1.75" nut...
A used Guild F-250E should come in right around your target figure; although it has a 1-11/16" nut it's also got a substantial-feeling (in a good way) neck - you may not even notice the difference, and if it's simply a matter of string spacing that can always be adjusted with a new nut:

Old 03-20-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
this is listed w/the Fishman Sonitone GT-1

The F1512 jumbo I have has a Sonitone

IMO it's not quite on par with the Infinity that I have in three other acoustics

if you have a preamp setup, or pedal board with some tone shaping options (EQ for example) it's ok.

It's ok in my situation. I have a Tonedexter and GE7 EQ.

It's all subjectional so I can't answer if this will be good enough for you.

If it was MY primary acoustic, -- for me,, personally??
I'd probably not be 100% on board with it.
Won't be my primary, that one is (thankfully) electronics free. I'm using a NUX AIR and really beginning to like it as I learn it. It pairs well with my B-Band USP but really shines in the improvement it shows in the tone of a sound hole pickup. Got my amp sorted as well, running a class D powered PA head through a 15 inch bass cabinet, plenty of EQ and other tone shaping options there, and super clean.

It's mainly just that I had a big ole guitar and liked the feel and tone of it, but as a 12 string it just didn't make it out of the tool box very often. So I hope to get one something like it that I will actually use...and a sweet fly rod...all without emptying my beer money jar. I should probably just wait. Gigs (the source of my beer money) have been pretty thin since the first of the year, but starting Saturday night we have a pretty busy schedule until mid September. But I ain't very good at waiting...
Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 AM

I find the Asian made Guilds to be wildly inconsistent. One will play and sound great, and another will simply be a dud. The more expensive American-made Guilds are extraordinary, of course, but you are talking thousands of dollars. I personally do not care for most pickup systems pre-installed in acoustics. I have found the K & K type transducer pickups sound best to my ears, and you can install those yourself if you are just a little handy. There are a couple K & K knockoffs that you can buy for around $50--JJB and Journey, I believe.

I would shop around myself. I almost bought a cheaper Guild dreadnought until I stumbled across a couple Alvarez models that smoked anything else in that price range.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Sold (got my eye on a sweet fly rod), but
What rod are you looking at?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:01 AM

Might want to check on letstalkguild.com. Those guys are the experts.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
What rod are you looking at?
St. Croix Imperial Salt 9ft. 8wt been using an old True Temper (remember them?) 8ft for specks and reds, not wanting to put one of my nicer rods in the salt water, but since I retired my the tempo of my saltwater fishing has gone up considerably and I could use something that casts better in the wind.

I am well aware of the chances taken on the purchase of an Asian built Guild, having bought 4 (or 5 maybe ?...) online and all returned except the last one. The returned were all the same; sounded great but had factory neck/fret/intonation issues that I won't accept in a new guitar. I started a thread on here about that. And a Guild at a guitar store I really wanted to like was, as stated, just a dud, though I didn't judge it too harshly as the strings were dead as a door nail. But the last one, the D120 I kept, is a wonderful instrument, so says I and every other player who has had their hands on it. The house gotta let the gambler win once in awhile, right?

I forgot about Let's Talk Guild, where I am a member.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-21-2023, 07:07 AM

The Guild website does show 1 11/16 so I think that may be the correct measurement and the Sweetwater spec sheet is mistaken. I have an email to them regarding this. I won't go less than 1.75 again on a new guitar. The aforementioned Guild D120 is 1.75, my first one, and I have never played with as much precision as I do on that guitar. Hard to believe 1/16th of an inch could make much difference but it does to me.

The new nut custom cut is an intriguing idea...
Old 03-21-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
St. Croix Imperial Salt 9ft. 8wt been using an old True Temper (remember them?) 8ft for specks and reds, not wanting to put one of my nicer rods in the salt water, but since I retired my the tempo of my saltwater fishing has gone up considerably and I could use something that casts better in the wind.

Thanks to all!
St Croix makes some nice rods. THe extra length will make a big difference. Have fun with the new rod and guitar.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:28 PM

Got a return email from my Sweetwater guy; they physically measured the nut of the actual F240e I chose and it is 1.75...so it is on the way. I will give my impressions of it at a later date.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion